Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Noise like sound on 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today tesla service came out to replace my spoiler and do some test for grinding noise from front end motors. When he left, I got in the model 3 to reverse park into my driveway, I notice a loud flying saucer type noise from front end when backing into parking spot at home. it's a Sept 2018 Model so it doesn't have the Pedestrian Noise Maker installed, what is that noise. I think its either the motors up front or heating/cooling system or perhaps the new update?. Its around 35 degrees tonight. Also FYI i just updated to the new software last night and haven't driven it since after MObile Service left tonight.

I occasionally hear a motor whine under some undetermined conditions, although I'm not sure I'd ever call it "loud". Post tomorrow if it is still there.

P.S. If it is there's a YouTube video on how to get to the sound box on the off chance that the tech installed it. I don't know if it can be retrofitted in?

If it’s less than ~55-60F the car puts the motor in an “inefficient” mode to generate heat for the battery. I’ve noticed that the motor “whines” a lot more when the car is in this inefficient mode, especially during regen braking. My car is RWD so obviously I only hear it from the rear motor.