Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Noise Maker Retrofit for 2017/2018 Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find the tweet at the moment, but this is correct. I believe it was something like the wire harness is different and it would be quite a process to retrofit.
“Not easily, as requires wire harness changes“ Elon Musk on Twitter

And even if you somehow found a way around that wire harness issue you’d still need to edit the gateway config to tell the car it has one. You’d need service to agree to do that unless you somehow manage to get root access to the car.

Reactions: PoitNarf
It will re enabled when I can get the Jetsons' transporter noise on it.
I will be double damned if I will pay a penalty because pedestrians can't be bothered to look both ways.
Certainly, people with certain disabilities deserve a little extra, but that's kinda why I have eyes. And a
horn.
Cop type strobes in the backup lights and a limited time backup beep I will underwrite. But to dumb down my car to suit the masses and the headset wearing nitwit pedestrians? No sir. Go ahead, write me a ticket. Then in court I will show evidence that there are quite a few ICEs which are very quiet and difficult to hear approaching.
Amen.

One of the things I thought was going to be so beautiful in our future was walking along quiet streets, without all the noise an pollution of gassers.

Imagine how horrible it would sound at a busy intersection with 20 speaker equipped vehicles, each emitting their own "hey look at me" noises.

People of the future are going to need to be traffic aware when they step out into an intersection or roadway, just as we now know it is important to watch both ways for incoming bicycles at speed. The blind might need to install a small flashing light on their white canes, so motorists and cyclists can give them special allowance.

Noise pollution for everyone as a measure to fight natural selection is a bad practice.

I am 73. At my age I have seen enough to know that karma is real. We used to say 'what goes around comes around.' We have all done - and survived - some dumb sh*t. Remember that 'natural selection' applies to everybody before you dismiss other people as 'having it coming.'

I am 73. At my age I have seen enough to know that karma is real. We used to say 'what goes around comes around.' We have all done - and survived - some dumb sh*t. Remember that 'natural selection' applies to everybody before you dismiss other people as 'having it coming.'

if I die doing something stupid, it’s my sincere hope that people say if I hadn’t been an idiot I’d still be alive.

Reactions: MitchMitch
One of the things I thought was going to be so beautiful in our future was walking along quiet streets, without all the noise an pollution of gassers.
The blind might need to install a small flashing light on their white canes, so motorists and cyclists can give them special allowance.

Actually, I think this is a good idea in any event. Persons with disabilities need all the help they can get (with dignity). I wouldn't object to that at all.
I do agree with another poster, the noisemaker will affect some as a "Look at me!!" attention grabber.

Meh, I think I do too - mostly for cyclists in NYC (at least the ones not wearning headphones). I can tell many can't hear me coming behind them and our streets are quite narrow, so a sudden swerve can occur. Obviously I give them a huge amount of space, but honking sounds aggressive so some low-level noise would actually be useful.

I will soon begin to market a replacement for the noisemaker, and a silent one at that,which will be effective for errant cyclists. Remember those pantographs old time phones were sometimes mounted on? A pantograph with a boxing glove on it controlled from the cockpit. Much quieter and I dare say, more satisfying to use.

Odd... My new SR+ build in early Feb 2020 makes a noise when backing up, changes pitch when accelerating, but make no noise whatsoever going forward from 0-15 mph.
My circuit to do the Jetsons' noise or any other mp3 file won't work is there is no noise on the line to trigger it.