TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pedestrian Protection

Discussion in 'Model S' started by toto_48313, Sep 25, 2015.

1. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

Today I went through the "index of term" from the manual in the car, and I found "pedestrian protection" in the list.

There is nothing link to it. Do you have any clue about a new functionality coming?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I wonder if they're doing that outdoor hood airbag that Volvo has for pedestrian protection

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I really like the Volt option. A button at the end of the turn signal stalk that emits a "quiet" warning horn.

4. Gabzqc

Gabzqc Member

From the emergency services document for the Model S, there is something in there that describes a softer part of the hood to give pedestrians a softer impact. Cant remember the specifics right now, but a little search may bring something up

5. DJung

DJung Member

I believe it's the Active Bonnet that raises the hood if Model S knows it's about to collide with a pedestrian. Apparently it helps lessen the amount of injury a person receives when the car hits a person.

6. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

That's interesting since the very front of the hood is reenforced for closing. Seems like center collision would actually be worse for someone than any other part of the front.

7. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

So finally we find out why Tesla won't reinforce the frunk lid to prevent creasing! :)

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

That would be nice. I don't want to honk at anybody simply because they cannot hear me.

- - - Updated - - -

Any documentation on this? I don't think I have this. It's just a plain old hood, I think.

9. TesAus

TesAus Member

It is active hood which raises rear of hood if the car thinks you have hit a pedestrian. In an ice car it provides space for the hood to deflect without hitting hard objects (the engine) behind. I wonder if it is really necessary in a model s, but probably required to get the 5 star safety rating?

Extract from model s owners guide:
    image.png

10. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Is this only on non US cars, or US too? I don't see any indication of pyrotechnics with my hood. Though I probably don't know what to look for.

12. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

Thank you TesAus.

So there is a guide describing this chapter, but it's empty in North America = this doesn't exist in North America?

13. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Yes, this feature is not applied to US spec cars. I don't know which countries do get it, but we definitely don't.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm pretty sure that in North America you don't put things in until they are legislated due to the lawsuit happy climate. If you put it in and it's not legislated, you can be sued for bad engineering and whatnot. If it's legislated, then you're safe. Heck of a way to do things, but that's how it is.

15. MTOman

MTOman Member

Does this use the camera or what sensors are used to determine if it's a pedestrian?