Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the emergency services document for the Model S, there is something in there that describes a softer part of the hood to give pedestrians a softer impact. Cant remember the specifics right now, but a little search may bring something up

That's interesting since the very front of the hood is reenforced for closing. Seems like center collision would actually be worse for someone than any other part of the front.

That would be nice. I don't want to honk at anybody simply because they cannot hear me.

I really like the Volt option. A button at the end of the turn signal stalk that emits a "quiet" warning horn.

- - - Updated - - -

Any documentation on this? I don't think I have this. It's just a plain old hood, I think.

I believe it's the Active Bonnet that raises the hood if Model S knows it's about to collide with a pedestrian. Apparently it helps lessen the amount of injury a person receives when the car hits a person.

It is active hood which raises rear of hood if the car thinks you have hit a pedestrian. In an ice car it provides space for the hood to deflect without hitting hard objects (the engine) behind. I wonder if it is really necessary in a model s, but probably required to get the 5 star safety rating?

Extract from model s owners guide:
image.png

Yes, this feature is not applied to US spec cars. I don't know which countries do get it, but we definitely don't.
I'm pretty sure that in North America you don't put things in until they are legislated due to the lawsuit happy climate. If you put it in and it's not legislated, you can be sued for bad engineering and whatnot. If it's legislated, then you're safe. Heck of a way to do things, but that's how it is.