TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pedestrian Toot

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Rod Williams, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Member

I have a model 3 and a Chevy Volt. The Volt has a little flutter alert for pedestrians that can't hear your car. Would be nice if Tesla could add this feature. Maybe an icon on the screen close to the rear view camera and charging icons. The sound for the Volt gets their attention without scaring them.

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

And take all the fun out of sneaking up on people in the grocery parking lot?

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

If you sneak up on pedestrians and they get so scared they "toot" ...then be glad for the biohazard mode in your HVAC system.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. MitchMitch

MitchMitch Lurker In Chief

• Like x 1
  5. EV-CPO

EV-CPO Vendor

Thanks for the props!

That's exactly why I created the EV-Horn kit

The install directions on the EV-Horn website are for Model S. One customer has installed it on Model X, tapping the 12v fuse box in the frunk area. But the Model 3 doesn't have an OBDII port that we can tap for power, so if you're interested, please look into the "hardwire connection" option on the site. All you need to do is find a 12v source in the car, and tap into it. I can also include a POSI-TAP to make it real easy.

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I prefer the scaring them approach. Blast some metal music with the windows down, it always grabs the attention of nearby pedestrians :D

7. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Member

I just turn up the volume on the stereo as I'm usually listening to Trance/Progressive. Pedestrians figure it out quickly as the subwoofer in the trunk goes into overdrive. Maybe I'll drop the window if they're oblivious.

--Carlos "untz untz untz" V.

8. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

Very interesting - A few Q's if I may:

<1> Max DB level from the horn?
    <2> Is there any way to adjust volume of the audio clips in case one wants some louder than others?
    <3> Do you have an installation guide for the Model 3?
    <4> What are the limits in size/duration/formats for the audio clips?

Thanks!

9. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Maybe something like the one ding bell they use on bicycles. Very friendly and would cause people to realize that something is coming towards them.

10. EV-CPO

EV-CPO Vendor

I don't have the DB level specs on the included speaker. It's a small, waterproof speaker. See: Monoprice Deep Blue 5 Waterproof Bluetooth® Speaker (IPx4) - Monoprice.com

But the unit uses a 3.5mm audio jack, so you can substitute in any speaker or horn you want if you want a louder device. As it is, the included speaker is loud enough to get peoples' attention in parking lots at very low speeds. You won't hear it from inside the cabin during normal driving (like a regular horn might). But that's an option you can do yourself.

Yes, you can edit any audio clips you want using Audacity (or any audio editing tool). It's very easy to increase/decrease the gain on any clip and reload them.

Not at this time. I don't have a Model 3 handy, so I can't suggest a +12v source to tap or a good location to mount the device and the speaker. As soon as I do (or someone else does), I can post install instructions.

There are actually two sound boards I can use. One has a 2MB limit, and the other (for about $5 more) has a 16MB limit. You could have one audio clip taking up all the memory if you wanted. The 16MB card is about 15 minutes of compressed stereo. But I mix the EV-horn sounds down to mono, so in theory, you could have one 30 minute clip on the card... Or eight 3.5 minute clips, etc. The eight sounds currently loaded on the 2MB board take approx 570kb. The board supports .WAV and .OGG files (no .mp3).

When I sell all of my Version 1 units, I'm already planning a full re-design that uses a different sound board with a micro-SD card.

11. EV-CPO

EV-CPO Vendor

A bicycle bell is already loaded onto the EV-Horn. See: https://ev-cpo.com/horn/bicycle.ogg