Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning Device and HW3 Installs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service department told me otherwise. They said existing cars would need to come in for the update at some point soon.

If it were true, how far back in time would they suggest Tesla would have to go? 2010 Roadster? Original Model S? I gotta say that makes no sense to me .. and sadly wouldn't be the first time service seemed to have 'interesting' and contradictory information from other parts of Tesla

I made an appointment through the app with my sc to have both the pwd and hw3 installed in about 3 weeks. Will see if I am contacted by a service rep.

Prediction: Your appointment will be cancelled completely, with an explanation that "you will be contacted when HW3 is available, and " we are not currently doing retrofits of the pedestrian device".

Prediction: Your appointment will be cancelled completely, with an explanation that "you will be contacted when HW3 is available, and " we are not currently doing retrofits of the pedestrian device".

yes, I would not be surprised if that’s what happens. Last time I made an appointment for the HW3 install, I got a text telling me it would not be in stock until later in the fall, whatever that means. So will see.

Yep, reports we have seen are that the SCs receive a shipment of HW3 units and each is assigned to a specific VIN. They contact those owners to have them come in and get upgraded. So apparently it isn't just an off-the-shelf part swap. (They did a similar thing with the P85D upgrades to ludicrous.)

If it were true, how far back in time would they suggest Tesla would have to go? 2010 Roadster? Original Model S? I gotta say that makes no sense to me .. and sadly wouldn't be the first time service seemed to have 'interesting' and contradictory information from other parts of Tesla

No doubt Tesla SC’s aren’t always the first to know but in my case, I was told that the model 3’s already have the location and bracket or housing for the PWS speaker so they just need to install the speaker and bottom plate of the car with the perforations to allow sound out. Maybe someone without it can take off that bottom cover to confirm but thought i read somewhere it had already been confirmed. That obviously has no bearing on original model S or original roadster but just the newer built model 3’s that came with the “rough in” for this already. Mine was July 2019 delivered so guessing I would have all this ready to go.

@jlindy Please report back if you are offered/required to take the speaker etc.. My weak understanding of the law would suggest Tesla could offer it to you if your car was prepared for the sound generator; the date required though is Sept 19 so anything after is covered for sure

My car doesn't even have the prep bits so it would cost Tesla a bunch more to update it

Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia

From the above site: "The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019."

Quiet vehicles should mean some ICE cars be required as well..

No doubt Tesla SC’s aren’t always the first to know but in my case, I was told that the model 3’s already have the location and bracket or housing for the PWS speaker so they just need to install the speaker and bottom plate of the car with the perforations to allow sound out. Maybe someone without it can take off that bottom cover to confirm but thought i read somewhere it had already been confirmed. That obviously has no bearing on original model S or original roadster but just the newer built model 3’s that came with the “rough in” for this already. Mine was July 2019 delivered so guessing I would have all this ready to go.

My model 3 is a Sep 2018 model but has the speaker grill already in place, so is ready for install of the speaker.

just got a call from sc telling me they were cancelling my appt. That HW3 installs are being done but on a vin batch basis, no idea when mine will come up but will. On the PWD, they will be doing installs on pre sep 2019 vehicles, but no time frame on when. She said I would get a text or email on when to bring my model 3 in for HW3 install.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I recently scheduled my 3 (Dec 18 build) in for service to replace a damaged front skirt and they ended up replacing it with the new front that has the speaker holes and no skirt. I don't think they actually hooked up any speaker because I don't have the pedestrian sounds. I'm okay living with Speakergate. :)

skir2.jpg