Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning Sound now in X? Wait, what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woke up this morning to this. Thought I had a leak in the A/C

Anyone else unfortunate to this :oops:
We knew this was coming (and your X is the first one I've heard) since all newly manufactured EVs are required to have it as of September 2020 in the US.

When was your car built? You can always disconnect the speaker...or wait for the custom sounds that Elon has mentioned.

it's a 03/16 build
That's really interesting since the S & X don't have speakers in the same spot as the 3 and Y. Over the years, we've seen the speaker grille show up, then the wiring and then the speaker grille+wiring+speaker. Our Y from June 2020 has the grille+wiring but not speaker (until we added one to see if it would work).

Can you tell where the sound is coming from outside? What firmware does your car have installed?

Have you had the car since 3/16 or did you recently purchase it from Tesla?

haven't had a chance to hear it from the outside. The tones resonate throughout the cabin making it hard to locate exactly where, but it sounds like it is coming from in back of the screen (weird, right?) the forward driving "whooshing" sound gets louder up to about 25 mph then softens up until you slow down, then it becomes annoyingly loud AF again. music doesn't drown it out.

firmware is 2020.32.3 b9bd4364fd17

purchased through Tesla used inventory early 2019. Never had this "problem" before

haven't had a chance to hear it from the outside. The tones resonate throughout the cabin making it hard to locate exactly where, but it sounds like it is coming from in back of the screen (weird, right?) the forward driving "whooshing" sound gets louder up to about 25 mph then softens up until you slow down, then it becomes annoyingly loud AF again. music doesn't drown it out.
Let us know if you can narrow down where it's coming from. Hopefully they aren't using the internal speakers to try to alert pedestrians outside. We have two Model S from 2017 but haven't heard it on them yet. Do you know if you are on 2020.36.3?

so just to follow up on this...

i rebooted and it went away but every now and then it pops back up. i've chalked it up as a glitch that unlocks the sound. it is entirely internal as the sound is piped through the internal audio speakers (useless right?). adjusting the speakers does nothing, it overrides the music. since i'm the only known case, i've grown accustomed to this harmless novelty and don't see the need to bring it in for service. i'm sure if it becomes more frequent or permanent I would complain.

upgraded to 2020.36.11 last week and still happened after. I did the infotainment upgrade last month though and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

here's another 5 minute clip of me just driving around

so just to follow up on this...

i rebooted and it went away but every now and then it pops back up. i've chalked it up as a glitch that unlocks the sound. it is entirely internal as the sound is piped through the internal audio speakers (useless right?). adjusting the speakers does nothing, it overrides the music. since i'm the only known case, i've grown accustomed to this harmless novelty and don't see the need to bring it in for service. i'm sure if it becomes more frequent or permanent I would complain.

upgraded to 2020.36.11 last week and still happened after. I did the infotainment upgrade last month though and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

here's another 5 minute clip of me just driving around

You should bring it in. We're on the same software version and I don't have such a sound, I doubt it's intentional. Hopefully it's harmless but it would stink if it was indicative of a larger issue and you went past the work warrantied period.

Reactions: croman
I haven't heard it emanate from my X but I heard something like it at the Supercharger yesterday. I think it was a Model 3. My wife's RAV4 Hybrid puts out the most God-awful sound, I truly thought her transmission was chewing itself up until I did some research. I understand why they do it but it doesn't make it right...

I've heard on some vintages of cars that they have to re-pin the connectors when they do the MCU upgrade. I wonder if they got one of your internal speaker wires connected to the PWS output terminal on the MCU.

While parked and playing music can you use the balance/fader and find a speaker that isn't working?

Reactions: croman
I have a new X 9/2020 build with backup pedestrian warning sound. I don’t hear anything going forward from inside but haven’t tried standing outside.

I know where the model 3 speaker is located and tested the disconnect on mine and it worked fine with a small warning icon on startup.

Does anyone know where the X sound is coming from? I opened up the FR wheel well like the 3 and there isn’t a visible speaker there. I only see what appears to be airbag sensors.

I have a new X 9/2020 build with backup pedestrian warning sound. I don’t hear anything going forward from inside but haven’t tried standing outside.

I know where the model 3 speaker is located and tested the disconnect on mine and it worked fine with a small warning icon on startup.

Does anyone know where the X sound is coming from? I opened up the FR wheel well like the 3 and there isn’t a visible speaker there. I only see what appears to be airbag sensors.
I believe it's in the front left driver's side bumper, in front of the wheel. Once i take delivery, i'm unplugging mine.

• Informative
Reactions: BM3B
It’s clearly a glitch in the software if the sound comes from the interior speakers. My new Raven S’s have the external speakers and the warning noise isn’t even noticeable inside them. I traded in a late 2019 Performance 3 and the external speaker in that was much more noticeable inside the car, not obnoxious but more noticeable. I guess the S’s have better sound deadening.