Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning Sound

Will You Be Removing the Pedestrian Warning Sound?

• Yes

Votes: 51 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 54.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this software activated? I ask because when my car was in our local service garage for winter tire change and was up on the ramp I saw the speaker holes on the underside of the front bumper. I didn't even know that cars delivered in March 2019 already had this.
Or probably those are just the holes without any speaker behind them.

The sound isn't horrible, but I enjoy the quietness of the car so I disabled it.

Took about 3 minutes - turn wheel, remove three automotive fasteners, disconnect speaker, put electrical tape over the connectors, reinstall fasteners, done.

I think I read something about this will becoming law next year (can't remember if it's State or Fed).

I'll be honest, I'm not in love with the sound but there needs to be some kind of audible warning sound when we start creeping. Having a few Leaf's in the past 6 years, they all had this warning sound.

Anyways, I have watch so many stupid people walking totally focused on their stupid cell phone that without the noise they would have never looked up to see they almost were getting rolled over by me.

For those of you who disable the noise and end up hitting a pedestrian (while they are totally oblivious to anything but their cell phone) I would think you would be in a world of trouble if investigators found out you disabled the noise (aka: stupid people safety warning system).

Best of luck!

I think I read something about this will becoming law next year (can't remember if it's State or Fed).

I'll be honest, I'm not in love with the sound but there needs to be some kind of audible warning sound when we start creeping. Having a few Leaf's in the past 6 years, they all had this warning sound.

Anyways, I have watch so many stupid people walking totally focused on their stupid cell phone that without the noise they would have never looked up to see they almost were getting rolled over by me.

For those of you who disable the noise and end up hitting a pedestrian (while they are totally oblivious to anything but their cell phone) I would think you would be in a world of trouble if investigators found out you disabled the noise (aka: stupid people safety warning system).

Best of luck!
Having never hit a pedestrian in 35 years of driving (including 12 years with silent EVs and another 9 years with a silent Prius), I'm fairly comfortable taking that risk. YMMV.

P.S. Not sure that disabling that feature makes any difference - you hit a pedestrian you are typically at fault anyway.

Reactions: OverEZPZ

Best of luck!

I'm not in love with the sound it makes, but coming from a chattery diesel pickup; it's hard to get used to the silence...

Having never hit a pedestrian in 35 years of driving (including 12 years with silent EVs and another 9 years with a silent Prius), I'm fairly comfortable taking that risk. YMMV.

P.S. Not sure that disabling that feature makes any difference - you hit a pedestrian you are typically at fault anyway.

I hit a pedestrian when I was 19 years old. It happens. The guy walked out in front of me during a snowstorm. He wasn't hurt that badly, but sued me for $100,000. This was in 1972, and $100,000 was a lot more then than it is now.

The problem with silencing a noise maker is that if you are ever in an accident and it is found that you silenced it - and they will look, they will take you to the cleaners. So it's not an issue of having the noise or not - it's the silencing of the noise maker that is what can get you into a bigger lawsuit. Not worth it, IMO.

I hit a pedestrian when I was 19 years old. It happens. The guy walked out in front of me during a snowstorm. He wasn't hurt that badly, but sued me for $100,000. This was in 1972, and $100,000 was a lot more then than it is now.

The problem with silencing a noise maker is that if you are ever in an accident and it is found that you silenced it - and they will look, they will take you to the cleaners. So it's not an issue of having the noise or not - it's the silencing of the noise maker that is what can get you into a bigger lawsuit. Not worth it, IMO.
So you think he would have sued for MORE if you had disabled a noisemaker? LOL.

So you think he would have sued for MORE if you had disabled a noisemaker? LOL.
My brother has been a personal injury lawyer for about 40 years now ... about to retire, I think. He is not a very pleasant person and enjoys finding unique ways of going after peoples money in a lawsuit.

Yes, I would expect that you would get sued for more, because your car had a provision to possibly prevent the accident and you disabled it.

The bottom line is that if you can be sued, they will take everything they can get.