Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning Sound

Will You Be Removing the Pedestrian Warning Sound?

• Yes

Votes: 51 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 54.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will bet in future software releases you may be able to change the sound, like the ring tone on a phone. I don't think you'll be able to mess with the volume.

That does seem reasonable. Also, I think that would make more people consider WHAT sound to select rather than whether to disable the sound.

Given that and Tesla's/Elon Musk's history, I eagerly await what reference to Spaceballs is among the choices.

I will bet in future software releases you may be able to change the sound, like the ring tone on a phone. I don't think you'll be able to mess with the volume.

My choices for alternate sounds:
(a) Old Ford model T with clapped-out engine noises, back-firing, and hand-squeezed motor horn
(b) Theme song from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" movie
(c) "Ride of the Valkyres" (aka military helicopter music from Apocalypse Now)
(d) Polite English accent guy making "Brrrrmmm Brruummm" sounds

If the sounds are cool, I have no problem with it. It actually becomes a positive. :cool:

If the sounds are not cool but I can’t hear them inside the cabin, that’s fine too.

If the sounds are uncool AND I can hear them inside the cabin, then I’d want a volume control... and failing that, I might eventually be driven to put some thick gorilla tape over the speaker grille to reduce the volume (comes off quickly enough if you change your mind).

Far as pedestrians go, have never hit one, but I’ve come close a few times, and sometimes it’s been their fault, sometimes it’s been mine. I think if we’re being honest, many of us fall into that category... and near-misses happen more often than you’d think, especially in dense urban areas.

Literally just yesterday, a clueless inattentive jaywalker almost won a Darwin Award by starting to walk out right in front of me. I was going 35 at the time, so the warning sound would not have come into play.

It’s still a good idea though, I just hope it’s implemented well. Hybrids and PHEVs should be required to have such systems too, if they aren’t already, as they can be near-silent at low speeds too.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I can foresee a day in the near future when so many EV’s are on the road making these noises that the lawmakers are forced to enact laws to quiet them; much like mufflers became required on all cars many years ago?

This is a tough problem and ultimately, pedestrians will need to adapt to ev’s and get off their phones and ear buds and start paying attention to the road, learning to look and listen.

• Love
Reactions: jonquiljo
I can foresee a day in the near future when so many EV’s are on the road making these noises that the lawmakers are forced to enact laws to quiet them; much like mufflers became required on all cars many years ago?

This is a tough problem and ultimately, pedestrians will need to adapt to ev’s and get off their phones and ear buds and start paying attention to the road, learning to look and listen.

Haha, made me laugh thinking about it.

According to the NHTSA proposal, car manufacturers would be able to pick the sounds the vehicles make from a range of choices, and similar vehicles would have to make the same sounds.

So I don't think it will be user changeable.

You will enjoy the silence without the pedestrian noise maker sitting in traffic until you get one EV on each side of you making the noise!
Or the rapping music
Or the head bangers
Or the mariachi band
So much for that idea!

But a dual horn would be beneficial!
The regular one and a quieter one for pedestrians.
I actually installed a wireless door bell in the trunk on my i3 (inside a Ziploc for protection) with the button installed on the left side of the steering wheel column that plays a "rooster sound" that I use for pedestrians, I always get a giggle!

Is this software activated? I ask because when my car was in our local service garage for winter tire change and was up on the ramp I saw the speaker holes on the underside of the front bumper. I didn't even know that cars delivered in March 2019 already had this.
Or probably those are just the holes without any speaker behind them.

Your profile says Germany so I think I remember there being specific laws about noise makers for you guys and that’s why you have it at your date. My June 2019 (U.S. delivered) build does not have it.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
FWIW when I put my stealth model 3 performance into track mode to mess around in the snow... the noise changed to a low rumble.

Like a V8 rumble?! I think what Porsche is doing with the noise is silly but as a free add-on could be fun. Of course the pedestrian speaker isn’t an actual engine/exhaust but maybe using the internal speakers with the windows down could be fun to troll friends

When I first head about this and saw the easy disconnect YouTube vids I thought I’d do this. Now after receiving the car I find it not objectionable from inside the car. I appreciate the backup sound most as people in parking lots are oblivious to cars moving.

I’m not sure why the feds choose a 19 mph limit. Could be 15 imho.

Perhaps the back up sound level could be reduced if it had a rear speaker.