Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System - Arrived in UK yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Curious if any of the new owners have the pedestrian warning system (PWS)?

This is a speaker in front of the drivers wheel arch that makes a sound when travelling at low speed.

Totally forgot this was a thing on US cars until I saw this tweet from Elon:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1296360799498391552?s=19

Snake Jazz and Polynesian Elevator Music as custom sounds coming soon.

Whatever next?

• Funny
Reactions: CPhoenix
"The regulation will apply to all new types of ‘quiet’ electric and hybrid vehicles from 1 July 2019, and to all new quiet electric and hybrid vehicles registered from July 2021."

New noise systems to stop ‘silent’ electric cars and improve safety

All it takes to stop it though is to remove the plug from the speaker just inside the wheel arch liner on the drivers side (uk)

There are a set of blanking plugs available to secure both sides of the connector from water ingress...just in case some future MOT spec requires it. Or if snake jazz actually arrives.

Model Y will be the first one that has to have it active on delivery as it will be the first new model to be introduced since the rules came into effect.

In the US there is a requirement to produce a certain percentage of newly built cars with the equipment fitted hence we see it installed but not active on the M3 over here.

I took at look at this a while ago on my Sep 19 delivered M3. The leads are in place but not the speaker. I tried connecting one and you can hear the sounds if you have it really close to you. I figured the speaker types I tried weren't compatible but perhaps the output simply isn't turned on fully in software. If this thing does happen (Elon isn't afraid to suggest stuff that never transpires - FSD for example :p) maybe I'll have another play.