Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) - On / Off Switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use boombox everyday... Jk

I used it maybe a week and haven't wanted it since. The reverse sound is too loud if you ask me. It doesn't bother me that much but seems to annoy everyone outside.

I like the duct tape idea.

Fair enough, although in that case ICE cars also need a sound to tell those pedestrians they will be moving backwards?
As I said, I can live with it, just not as loud as it is now. Note that I have not disabled mine, it's still doing its job. It's just annoying me...

I don't have my MY yet, but I love watching the YouTube videos while I wait. Isn't the forward PWS sound customizable (i.e. record your own sound)?If so, could you loop the sound of sweet silence?
I think it resets to the default every time you 'switch off' the car. And the exterior sounds (other than the default 'white noise') also play through the internal speakers, so unless you wanted to listen to the 'sounds of silence' while you drive, that wouldn't work. But to be honest, I haven't played around enough with it.

Reactions: OmbreCake
I wonder if you remove the speaker if they would have installed a new one for free or just given the car back.... from my understanding the cars always had the wiring, just not the speakers on some builds :)
I saw a YT that had the timeline, wiring started in 2019, I believe (strictly from memory) then the speaker was later.... So all of them can't be retro'd.

I haven’t pulled my frunk liner yet to check but does anyone know if the harness going to the speaker is easily accessible anywhere from the frunk? I want to pop a switch on one of the wires to turn it off when I don’t want to use it.

I don't have my MY yet, but I love watching the YouTube videos while I wait. Isn't the forward PWS sound customizable (i.e. record your own sound)?If so, could you loop the sound of sweet silence?

It doesn't work - I recorded a silent mp3 - it still plays the original forward 'grinding' sound over your recorded sound. No real way to defeat it without disconnecting the speaker. But at least with the latest update we can now 'talk' remotely over the speaker through the phone app. So that's some incentive to leave your speaker connected.

Reactions: OmbreCake
Frankly, I think Tesla did the bare minimum to meet the requirement here. I can't hear the forward 'white noise' sound at all in the car, and even walking along next to it while my wife drives it, it's barely audible - the tire sound on the road is louder. I can only really hear it when she pulls in the driveway at very low speed. The back-up sound is much louder and, obviously, changes pitch as the car does goes faster or slower.

Yes it should be audible going forward. You would think that's the main reason for the law. The reverse sound makes sense to some extent on huge trucks, not as much on EVs. There are reverse (white) lights on the back. I could live with a sound but not as loud.
Except now there are many cars that light up the back white lights for the convince of the car owner. Unlock the car and the stupid things light up.

Makes it harder to tell who is actually backing out in a parking lot now.

Reactions: DanDi58