Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) - On / Off Switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model Y with the PWS. Love the Boombox, but the noise at low speeds (especially reverse) is rather annoying.

Note: I'm not debating legality or if I should do it

I know you can easily disconnect the speaker, but then you lose out on Boombox. Has anyone tried to add a flip switch to turn the speaker on/off? Flip it ON when you want to use Boombox, and flip it OFF every other time?

I figure it can be done pretty easily, but I'm not too electrical, and not sure if it would be easy to mount the switch on the plastic under the car.

it would be really easy to wire an inline switch to that speaker - but the arm chair lawyers will shame you for even thinking of defeating your PWS - even though it does NOT exist on earlier models.

I disconnected mine immediately. - if you opt to forego the disconnect switch and just unplug it - you can purchase a special issolation kit that will protect the plugs from the weather

it would be really easy to wire an inline switch to that speaker - but the arm chair lawyers will shame you for even thinking of defeating your PWS - even though it does NOT exist on earlier models.

I disconnected mine immediately. - if you opt to forego the disconnect switch and just unplug it - you can purchase a special issolation kit that will protect the plugs from the weather
Totally anecdotal, but I drove my 2020 Model 3 through EVERY type of weather for over a year with the PWS unplugged and it never got damaged.

Also I took it in for its first service in mid-March and the bastards plugged it back in. So if you install one of those isolation kits, maybe take it out before you drop your car off for service, because they may not give it back.

Totally anecdotal, but I drove my 2020 Model 3 through EVERY type of weather for over a year with the PWS unplugged and it never got damaged.

Also I took it in for its first service in mid-March and the bastards plugged it back in. So if you install one of those isolation kits, maybe take it out before you drop your car off for service, because they may not give it back.

I wonder if you remove the speaker if they would have installed a new one for free or just given the car back.... from my understanding the cars always had the wiring, just not the speakers on some builds :)

Is the enclosure where the speaker is installed waterproof? If not, I might just expose the wire outside to make it easy to connect & disconnect using the isolation kit.

I have a June 2020 MYP without PWS - so no boombox, no speaker etc... and I don't want the PWS noises, but I really want the ability to alert pedestrians when rolling through parking lots or inattentive walkers taking up the neighborhood roads etc.

Someone in the PNW installed the WASP - warning alert system for pedestrians - installing the speaker in the frunk somewhere.

I like this idea soo much more than boombox, but I have not done it yet.

WASP link here: https://ev-cpo.com/wasp/horn.php

My car has the PWS speaker and Boombox, but I've never really been able to hear the forward sound at all (I hear the backup sound just fine). What controls it in the Boombox, 'Driving Sound' or 'Summon Sound'? What is the default sound?

The forward sound is almost too low (fan / white noise sound), and the reverse sound is too high (the flying saucer) :) At least that's what I think. I wouldn't want to turn it off, but I would want to adjust the volume. I'm sure the regulations prevent me from doing that too...
EDIT: I remember the reverse sound getting louder in some software update... I was pretty pissed about it.

The forward sound is almost too low (fan / white noise sound), and the reverse sound is too high (the flying saucer) :) At least that's what I think. I wouldn't want to turn it off, but I would want to adjust the volume. I'm sure the regulations prevent me from doing that too...
EDIT: I remember the reverse sound getting louder in some software update... I was pretty pissed about it.
To deal with the loud reverse sound I put some duct tape over the speaker cutout which helped quite a bit. You can see the small holes under the speaker if you lay down in front of the front passenger tire. Still audible but not quite as annoying as it normally is.

Hmm ok. I’ll have to have my wife drive it while I stand outside.