Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get it activated?
Sadly no. Easier if I link you to the main thread where I shared the state of play:

Wish I had read this before buying the speaker and the screws (which incidentally didn't fit after waiting a month, and I also pranged my alloy driving 60 miles to collect them!).

It works perfectly on reboot, then stops working at an unknown time (maybe when car sleeps) until I reboot again.

I logged a Tesla service request, they called and said your car isn't able to have this system therefore it is being disabled server side when detected. There is no way to make it work and no plans as of yet to retrofit. Also, no way to request this.

GRRR - expensive (esp with wheel ding) test this!

They could enable it, and Boombox, if they were so inclined. I'm sure they have a script to do it that they could run on the car.

There's nothing stopping it working from a hardware perspective, as you've discovered when you reboot.

Unfortunately there is only an official retrofit in the States. No sign of it appearing in Europe. If you could get hold of an enterprising tech they could probably do it, but accessing techs nowadays is more difficult than ever.

Wish I had read this before buying the speaker and the screws (which incidentally didn't fit after waiting a month, and I also pranged my alloy driving 60 miles to collect them!).

It works perfectly on reboot, then stops working at an unknown time (maybe when car sleeps) until I reboot again.

I logged a Tesla service request, they called and said your car isn't able to have this system therefore it is being disabled server side when detected. There is no way to make it work and no plans as of yet to retrofit. Also, no way to request this.

GRRR - expensive (esp with wheel ding) test this!
It's more than just 3 screws and a speaker. You need to tinkle with the MCU configuration. I already retrofit a few of 2019 and 2020 cars. All work flawlessly with Boombox and Megaphone activated on the GUI as well.

• Informative
Reactions: speedyranger74
Any hint that they would be so kind to someone else who purchased and potentially self fitted the speaker? Or do you think it was just a friendly tech.?
Well they asked if I purchased the speaker from Tesla, I replied showing photo of it which certainly looks official. They did owe me as was messed around a bit but as he said he found the instructions it should be possible anywhere.

20221126_115839.jpg

Did the one from eBay come with screws? Did you fit it yourself?

Every time I’ve spoken to my local SC they just say there’s no retrofit for it. Obviously there is a way to do it as you’ve found out.

Interested in trying this but since it needs a coding change to work I don’t really want to throw £40+ down the drain if I can’t get any further with it.

70 plate was a mid refresh period. Could have heat pump, could just have the different frunk shell. Could have new console, could have the older one with mixed USB-C/USB-A.

That being said my understanding of whether you can retrofit this or not is basically whether you’ve got the cable tied up down there. I’d wager most cars do, maybe very early 2019 ones don’t.

I’ve never got past the “sorry sir there’s no official retrofit in the UK” first line of defence with this one, but to be honest I also haven’t pushed very hard about it because it’s one of those things I can mostly take it or leave it.

70 plate was a mid refresh period. Could have heat pump, could just have the different frunk shell. Could have new console, could have the older one with mixed USB-C/USB-A.

That being said my understanding of whether you can retrofit this or not is basically whether you’ve got the cable tied up down there. I’d wager most cars do, maybe very early 2019 ones don’t.

I’ve never got past the “sorry sir there’s no official retrofit in the UK” first line of defence with this one, but to be honest I also haven’t pushed very hard about it because it’s one of those things I can mostly take it or leave it.
My previous August 2019 LR had the cable in there, I suspect all UK cars do.

Great to see people retrofitting this now, I would be doing it if I hadn't changed car.