Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the one from eBay come with screws? Did you fit it yourself?

Every time I’ve spoken to my local SC they just say there’s no retrofit for it. Obviously there is a way to do it as you’ve found out.

Interested in trying this but since it needs a coding change to work I don’t really want to throw £40+ down the drain if I can’t get any further with it.
No screws, I bought ones suggested online but they didn't fit, I ended up using tool box screws!

It clearly is possible, but, you do run the risk of them not playing ball.

This, the amount of times people haven't got out my way, stepped out in front of me, or jump out of their skin made me want this system.
Yep, an underground car park with painted floor = stealth car. It’s more frustrating than fun as so many people just wander out into the way of you with little kids in tow. It’s usually the kids who spot you, lights on, following behind. The adults are too reliant on hearing to notice, kids are still looking left and right.

Yep, an underground car park with painted floor = stealth car. It’s more frustrating than fun as so many people just wander out into the way of you with little kids in tow. It’s usually the kids who spot you, lights on, following behind. The adults are too reliant on hearing to notice, kids are still looking left and right.
Bicycles have a simple bell for situations like this ... a gentle ting ting. It always surprised me that we had to end up with some special system that makes a constant (usually weird) sound no matter the circumstances. I'm driving the car so I know when I would like to alert people to my presence... the equivalent of a horn button but without making people jump out of their skin!

Pedestrian horns did exist in a few cars but never caught on for some reason. It would be an ideal use of the front speaker but not even Tesla have tried it.

Thing is, I have the speaker in my Y and I still get people randomly wandering in front of or behind the car when it's moving (and the reversing sound is unmissable).. it's not the sound that is causing them to do it, it's stupidity.

• Funny
Reactions: Skie and Adopado
Bicycles have a simple bell for situations like this ... a gentle ting ting. It always surprised me that we had to end up with some special system that makes a constant (usually weird) sound no matter the circumstances. I'm driving the car so I know when I would like to alert people to my presence... the equivalent of a horn button but without making people jump out of their skin!
I spoke to one taxi driver, he put a doorbell in the frunk and the button inside 😂

Once it's coded in it's not that simple as the system will show a fault if it's unplugged. A resistor across the connectors would probably work though.
I remember when this first came out and of course, on the other side of the fence people were complaining about their car being forced to make noise and there were numerous links to some sort of cap that you attached to the wires to trick the car. So yeah, as you say these things definitely exist.

I bought the pws online. Paid around $40 us for it. I installed myself. Easy enough. There are couple of videos online about it for the more handy ones. No screws cam with it I used some I have around and they fit perfectly. They are Philips instead of torque but I don't mind. Tesla charge me $39us for activation of boombox. One thing that bothers me is that going forward the speaker made no sound regardless speed. I asked in the sa and they explained they remove the forward sound due to NHTSA some versions ago. I specifically wanted the sound due to the near accidents I had on parking lots. Reverse work fine.

Reactions: speedyranger74