TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Peeling headlight covers

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by jbini1, Aug 31, 2012.

1. jbini1

jbini1 Member

So I've heard the head lights will peel? And was wondering if anyone got them to wArrenty them with hid upgrade instead of the old stock ones?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Do you mean replace them under warranty? You can buy the Xenon headlights but I'm not sure they'd replace your old ones with the upgraded headlights but rather a new set of the old lights.

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

You may be able to request and pay the difference for the upgrade compared to the price of the base set of lights. I don't think they'd have an issue with that.

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I've never heard of peeling headlights. What do you mean by that?

5. jbini1

jbini1 Member

I've talked with the local shop, and the top film of the headlight is peeling away. They said they would replace them under warrenty, but with the same ones. I guess I'm picky but I don't really want another set that's gonna peel again. So I'm requesting the upgraded ones since those don't have the same issue. So I figured I'd see if anyone else has gone through this as well. They said its moister related, so I'm guessing a costal issue as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hoping this could be a second option. We should hook up some time. Santa Cruz locals

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

7. user497

user497 Member

I had one of my headlights replaced about 6 months ago under warrant and just recently the other headlight started peeling away. I hope to have them replace that one under warranty as well. When they replaced the first one I knew they replaced it with the same type of light (e.g. not the xenon upgrade) but my understanding was that the issue had been fixed. I would be bummed out if it would happen again in a couple years. Note, I think I had the car about 2 years before the first one started experiencing the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of what my headlight looked like... IMG00183-20111016-1402.jpg . That is the headlight from a few months ago but the problem with the other one now looks the same.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#8 wiztecy, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Before I bought my 08 Roadster, 2 years of its life was spent on the charger at Menlo Park Telsa garage while the previous owner traveled the world. Tesla noticed the peeling headlights and replaced them with the upgraded heated lights which are to help prevent the condensation build up. Thing is they still build up moisture inside. Was nice they swapped them out though and took very good care of car while in their hands.

Note that the older headlights in the roadsters, at least in my build (apr 08) and earlier, came with non-heated light enclosures.

I think this peeled covering material may have been put there to prevent the lights from hazing that you see on lots of cars over time.... except the coating wasn't tested enough against correct environmental conditions and time.

9. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#9 Jaff, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    I replaced my headlights about a year ago with the Tesla HID upgrade kit...they've been great...my original set had no peeling, just moisture...I'm not sure it's reasonable for you to expect Tesla to upgrade you for free, but I think wiztecy's formula of you bearing the difference between the HID upgrade less the cost a replacement set is fair.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I'd recommend the Tesla HID upgrade kit as well anyway if that's possible. Well worth the upgrade. You don't really notice the difference until you get the upgrade and realize how bad the old ones were.

11. slcasner

slcasner Member

One of the headlights on my car started peeling after three years. They said they would replace them under warranty, and that the replacements should not develop the same problem. I decided to go for the HID upgrade, though.

12. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

They replaced my peeling headlights free but absolutely refused to work out any discount on a Xenon upgrade instead.

13. jbini1

jbini1 Member

did you receive a discount toward the swap?

- - - Updated - - -

did you deal with johnny ?

14. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Yes. He said no way.

15. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Don't understand why they wouldn't take the difference, possibly that have tons of old "non-hid" stock they want to move....

16. user497

user497 Member

At the time my first headlight was replaced they had to special order it - they didn't have any in stock. That doesn't mean they didn't have a ton back in the warehouse but at least none in NYC. I doubt that is the reason they didn't want to offer a discount.

17. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

When I bought my HID upgrade, they asked me if I wanted my old headlights back. I said yes, as they may come in handy in the future when spare parts become scarce...
    Getting back my old headlights had no impact on the cost of the upgrade. I would not be surprised if old headlights just get recycled.

18. jbini1

jbini1 Member

Petition for Xeon headlight upgrade

Hello again
    I started a thread asking about peeling headlights a month or so and it seems like this is a common issue among us roadster owners. So I was hoping to get some people to state their thoughts on how tesla should handle this. It seems that they are using the same headlights to replace defective headlights. Now too me it seems counter intuitive to replace a broken part, with the same part, knowing it will fail. So call me anal or picky but it just doesn't seem like tesla standards.

My hope is that if enough of us have similiar issues, complaints or worries may be able to sway the service managers or higher ups. I am not expecting free xenon headlights but possibly free install or a discounted package deal to help fix this problem for good. So power to the people, let's see how many folks want to stand up to make this happen.

Joey

19. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

jbini - were the headlights peeling when you bought your Roadster?

20. jbini1

jbini1 Member

Yes one had peeling and now the other one is. But from everyone at service and tesla direct it is something the have yet to fix on the standard headlights, but have fixed on the upgraded xenon headlights.