Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling headlight covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>I spoke with tesla service and from there understanding they are the same headlights with no changes made to the product as far as they know.
They are not the same headlights, again heaters were installed and the protective film was not applied to address the issues. You could say the lens is the same such as the plastic molding but they are not identical in how they were made such as the process and the components applied.

I don't think there's one Tesla owner who said their peeling headlights were replaced and then they started peeling again. This is how rumors start and I don't want that happening with Tesla.

Never had an issue with either of our Roadsters headlights peeling.

I would get them to replace them and then cover them with a clear vinyl protection film like Paint Armor or 3M Film.

This should stop the issue.

I'm having them put standard ones in on the third since I'm gonna switch roadsters anyway. Not gonna invest in this one.

I think time will tell since its weather and time related anyway. I just think its better to remedy the issue before it starts. So since the car is still less than 4 yrs old it will only be a matter of time. Hopefully it won't happen.

>

I don't think there's one Tesla owner who said their peeling headlights were replaced and then they started peeling again. This is how rumors start and I don't want that happening with Tesla.

+1. additional chars

- - - Updated - - -

To Bonnie.
If your house is peeling and the painter said yeah I'll paint it but it will peel again in two years, how would you respond ? Maybe your in the home bussiness so this may or may not help u grasp the idea.

Let's see if my simple little head can understand -hair fluff- ... To be clear, IF that happened, yes, I'd expect them to fix it. But if I bought a house with peeling paint, and KNEW it had peeling paint (and presumably negotiated a discount of sorts because of said peeling paint), then going to the painter to fix it free seems wrong. And if I didn't notice the peeling paint, then I guess I didn't do my due diligence. And that's on me.

But maybe it's different where you live.

Your trying to state the case of buyers remorse? Right? Which is not the case.

Fact is they are under warrenty even though its used. But TMC said they are gonna use the same part/model # & everything to replace them.
So I asked if they will fog or peel again?
TMC said yes the could because it is a weather related issue.

I own a business and if I was spending money paying employees to change lights out, I would take that opportunity to upsell a customer and try to get some profit out of the transaction. Especially if I am under contract to preform labor regaurdless of the lights I'm installing. But maybe making money isn't the goal? Spending money could be more profitable? Wouldn't that turn new inventory, return on investment, turning stock back into capital, I guess that's my world.

What do I know I'm just a young guy....

Your trying to state the case of buyers remorse? Right? Which is not the case.

Fact is they are under warrenty even though its used. But TMC said they are gonna use the same part/model # & everything to replace them.
So I asked if they will fog or peel again?
TMC said yes the could because it is a weather related issue.

I own a business and if I was spending money paying employees to change lights out, I would take that opportunity to upsell a customer and try to get some profit out of the transaction. Especially if I am under contract to preform labor regaurdless of the lights I'm installing. But maybe making money isn't the goal? Spending money could be more profitable? Wouldn't that turn new inventory, return on investment, turning stock back into capital, I guess that's my world.

What do I know I'm just a young guy....
+100

Some people here apparantly dont understand the concept of a fully transferable warranty.

Try one more time with the similar lights. If it happens again, I'd strongly consider getting the Xenon lights anyway since you can see almost twice as far and no similar issues with fogging or peeling.

>So I asked if they will fog or peel again?
>TMC said yes the could because it is a weather related issue.

The fogging is weather dependent, in Santa Cruz we'll get more fogging/condensation than other places. Any enclosure that has a separate environment will have condensation. Headlights are prone to this.

Peeling is not weather dependent. My roadster has been in a heated garage for the majority of its life. When it sat in Menlo Park under Telsa's watchful eye in their garage it went through 2 warranty periods. The lights were peeling just sitting in the garage. Not exposed to any weather. So its not weather that causes the peeling, it was just a poor compound used that they sprayed on the headlights to protect them and peeled with *age*. The reason why the HID headlights don't have the issue is that Tesla resolved the issue before the HID lights became available, no spray protective coating on the lights.

As for the same part numbers on the old and new replacement lights, many companies won't update the part numbers especially if its a minor change in the part. They just remove the old part out of stock and replace it with the new part. It becomes a database/supplier hassle to sync all those part numbers back up and re-using a part number is easier and less trouble.

I had one of my headlights replaced about 6 months ago under warrant and just recently the other headlight started peeling away. I hope to have them replace that one under warranty as well. When they replaced the first one I knew they replaced it with the same type of light (e.g. not the xenon upgrade) but my understanding was that the issue had been fixed. I would be bummed out if it would happen again in a couple years. Note, I think I had the car about 2 years before the first one started experiencing the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of what my headlight looked like...View attachment 9342. That is the headlight from a few months ago but the problem with the other one now looks the same.

I am having them do both. Again kinda off that they would only replace one. It's like brake light bulbs, Replace the set so they last the same and age the same? My cars are babied though.

What year is your car? And how old?

Neither peeling or fogging here, but about six months after I had the HIDs installed the gasket between the headlamp assy and the body starting migrating up at the back of the headlamp assy. About 1/4 inch before I could get to the service center where they replaced them. They told me that they had seen the problem on a couple other roadsters, and that they were sending the old ones back to have the gasket replaced. HID is the way to go by the way.

Bob L

Dead? Lol ! Idk ? Mine were both ruined. It sounds like he said that the issues were solved as suggested above during production of the standard lights. It maybe a catch 22 iny case. This could be part of the extended warrenty issues. I can't imagine them swapping them all out for free. I don't think they're expecting issues from the replacements prior to HID upgrade though.