Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling headlight covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here we go again, as they say.

You guys will not be surprised to learn that earlier this week I discovered that, basically overnight, both my headlights are starting to peal.

Now some of the discussion early in this thread seemed to indicate that the pealing problem was something symptomatic of early Roadsters, but had been corrected in later production. As the thread has gone on, it seems clear (no pun intended) that this is not the case. My much beloved #1422 is pretty late in the production run, but still has developed the issue.

Fortunately, I did purchase the ESA and he is due in for his annual next month, so I am hoping replacements will be available. With any luck, maybe even HID upgrades.

Two quick questions for the experts here:

1) where any Roadsters ever produced with the HIDs as original equipment, or did Tesla only come up with that upgrade after the fact?

2) would you recommend getting the new one armored, regardless of what type of replacements I get? Seems there have been a few (one?) reported case of pealing even with HIDs.

Thanks, and as always, Happy Roadstering!

I think the Xenons were only sold as upgrades, or in some cases graciously put in to replace peeling originals.
Even the final 5 Roadsters "with all options" didn't seem to include the Xenons.

You guys will not be surprised to learn that earlier this week I discovered that, basically overnight, both my headlights are starting to peal.
I had the same thing start a few months ago. They looked great, not even a hint, then BAM... both peeling. Within days of each other! Since then, it's spread like cancer. I've just been letting it happen and perhaps next spring I'll have my tint guy clean them up and armor them.

I had the same thing start a few months ago. They looked great, not even a hint, then BAM... both peeling. Within days of each other! Since then, it's spread like cancer. I've just been letting it happen and perhaps next spring I'll have my tint guy clean them up and armor them.

I feel your pain, brother!

I'll let you guys know how it goes with my hoped for replacements when 1422 goes in for his annual next month.

This past Monday I noticed that my passenger side headlight was peeling (original headlights on a May 2009 1.5). It literally appeared overnight. I just re-read this entire thread and noted that a year ago I posted as to how my headlights were not peeling but that I should get them covered as per @wiztecy and @strider . But I didn't do it!

Auto Image in Belmont was recommended to me by @strider, anyone else on the SF Peninsula have a recommendation?

(tried to edit out the duplicate images I posted but am unable to, sorry)

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 117
She told me she wanted to be a red head so I figured it is 1) much cheaper than a paint job and there was some paint chips which actually were hidden pretty good 2) i can change my mind if i want to...

The headlight masking thing was an experiment, I saw a white one with that treatment and I thought it made the eyes look a little more focused or aggressive or something. It too is easy to take off it I want but so far I like the look of it...

New rear tires tomorrow and I already reminded the guy to flip the rims side-to-side! :)

new color scheme

Hey guys!

Just got my Roadster back from the Tysons service center, and they were good enough to replace my pealing originals with some very nice new HIDs. I was wise enough to buy the ESA, so it was covered as well.

BTW... WOW! What a difference! With our days getting shorter, the first time I headed out to work in the early morning gloom, I immediately appreciated how much better the new lights are. I can actually see things more than five feet in front of me. Amazing.

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable shop in the NVA area where I can get my new headlights armored before this happens again?

Well I did not get mine covered soon enough as the protective layer is peeling off. It does not look like anyone posted a good fix so soon I will try the 3M headlamp restoration. It appears laborious as you need to sand off the offending layer (400 grit), then sand out the scratches (1000 grit then 3000 grit) then polish and apply a new protector layer. The kit is not bad but it looks like one has to be ready for 2-6 hours of labor. If someone has a better fix I am all ears.

Peeling_Headlights (1).JPG Peeling_Headlights (1).JPG

Attachments

• Peeling_Headlights (2).JPG
    Peeling_Headlights (2).JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 76