Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling paint from Model 3 rocker panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been a huge issue for many people around here. It made the news in 2018 or 2019 I believe... As others said, it does happen to other cars as well but it seems slightly more prevalent in Teslas. Might be the way the wheels and body are made, wheels sticking out more than body and thus projecting sand and rocks all along the rockers and rear of the car. Many new cars now have plastic around the wheels to protect from this type of thing. Look at the new WRX for example.

Reactions: heavyD
Hi all,
What I had thought was something I ran over (paint?) is actually paint degradation. I also have chipping paint in both wheel wells. See pics. This is a 2020 M3 LR+ with 58k. Anyone in US successfully had this issue remedied by Tesla?
Nope. Mudflaps and/or PPF. The undercut rocker design may look nicer and be more aero, but it means that any dirt on the road sandblasts the rocker area until the paint is gone. If you live in an area that puts a salt/sand mix on the roads, it behooves you to put on mudflaps.

This has been a huge issue for many people around here. It made the news in 2018 or 2019 I believe... As others said, it does happen to other cars as well but it seems slightly more prevalent in Teslas. Might be the way the wheels and body are made, wheels sticking out more than body and thus projecting sand and rocks all along the rockers and rear of the car. Many new cars now have plastic around the wheels to protect from this type of thing. Look at the new WRX for example.
Yep. That poster's photo is the same as many I have seen. The link below shows exactly the same damage as the paint just erodes and ends up peeling and the metal beneath rusting. Most automakers now use plastic rocker panels.

Reactions: GtiMart
Soooo what did you guys do to fix it? What was the cost? Paint that entire huge panel on both sides?

IMG_3928.png

Soooo what did you guys do to fix it? What was the cost? Paint that entire huge panel on both sides?

Step 1: Remove wheel, wheel liners, and unclip front of the plastic rocker panel piece.
Step 2: Apply POR-15 Stop Rust Kit. As instructed. At least 2-3 coats.
Step 3: Buy Tesla OEM mud-flaps to protect that exposed metal from future debris impacts, then install them after the surface has been cleaned and POR-painted. Mudflap installation instruction are here.

I DIY-ed the job, the the whole thing cost me <$70 and ~2 hours of work (I let the paint dry overnight before bolting everything back up).

HTH,
a

P.S.: Here is how it everything looks afterwards:
1709681545577.png
1709681582248.png

P.P.S.: Here is what the inside of the stock rocker looked like after I removed the wheel liner.
Draw your own conclusions about quality of Tesla design and testing:
1709681696058.png

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
Step 1: Remove wheel, wheel liners, and unclip front of the plastic rocker panel piece.
Step 2: Apply POR-15 Stop Rust Kit. As instructed. At least 2-3 coats.
Step 3: Buy Tesla OEM mud-flaps to protect that exposed metal from future debris impacts, then install them after the surface has been cleaned and POR-painted. Mudflap installation instruction are here.

I DIY-ed the job, the the whole thing cost me <$70 and ~2 hours of work (I let the paint dry overnight before bolting everything back up).

HTH,
a

P.S.: Here is how it everything looks afterwards:
View attachment 1024976 View attachment 1024977

P.P.S.: Here is what the inside of the stock rocker looked like after I removed the wheel liner.
Draw your own conclusions about quality of Tesla design and testing:
View attachment 1024978
Thank you soooo much! Hopefully my situation isn't bad enough that the mudflats don't cover it all. I did order them yesterday. I should have done it 60k miles earlier. lol I'll grab that stop rust kit. I'm selling this car to a very good friend in a few months and I want to make sure it wont be a problem for them as they'll likely have it for many years.

Thank you!

Best,
Gene