Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling steering wheel be advised!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i wanted to bring up this on the forum to give everyone a heads up on this specific issue what u may encounter

A little backstory I’ve had my 2021 MY a year and like 4 months 14k miles

my steering wheel leather seemed like it was starting warp/peel on the top so i put in a service request right before thanksgiving,i attached pictures and i want to point out the estimate was 1,400$(probably because only fix is new steering wheel) and some change but i assumed it be covered under warranty

Day comes mobile service comes and the tech was professional and courteous i let him know to let me know if its covered or not, he looks at it and tells yea won’t be covered because its an outside influence and proceeds to tell me it was probably hand sanitizer or hand lotion 😂

I was baffled tbh that apparently I can’t put hand sanitizer or lotion cause my 50k now 65k vehicle steering wheel will start peeling, so i asked him any other options?

He texted his manager and he basically said the same so i denied replacement and tech proceeds to put air in tires and he left he was never rude and was profesional

I called tesla service center routed to a call center I basically ask what are my options as i said before i just found the reasoning absolutely hilarious and tbh even tho it’s technically by the book its “outside influences” it literally is not my problem tesla uses garbage vegan leather that can’t handle hand sanitizer that I barely put on or non existent lotion that i never put on, the lady on the phone was very courteous she also seemed confused at the reasoning so she told me i will escalate it to the service manager and assured me they should take care of me

Fast forward about an hour later i get a call from the service manager and i told him his tech was professional but I didn’t agree with assessment and i called mainly to see my options the manager proceeds to let me know yea this happens to other brands too and he has seen it in some my and m3 and so forth etc. he did his best to justify it i guess but quite frankly wasn’t gonna change my mind personally

So i asked him what are my options? Am i stuck with a wheel that just gonna keep peeling cause of “hand sanitizer and lotion” he then proceeds to tell me he will send the tech back and change it out of goodwill because i was courteous to him and his tech and advised me to probably look into a wheel cover

Tech went back replaced it all good no charge

My big takeaway i feel like this is one of those scenarios where i feel this is definitely on tesla for using garbage leather nobody in their minds gets in their cars and thinks about o wait let me not put lotion or hand sanitizer or my wheel gonna disintegrate

Sure technically outside influence but come on now

Eitherway service manager and mobile tech were professional and courteous during this maybe 5 hour ordeal, the manager did take care of me at the end of the day big props to him i feel was definitely the right thing to do to take care of a customer

Hopefully tesla changes the vegan leather or supplier this seems to be more common than it should be

Attachments

• 66ADCBA8-9EC6-4896-92A9-E348FDCF569B.jpeg
    66ADCBA8-9EC6-4896-92A9-E348FDCF569B.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 831
  • D97D59B8-665D-49D0-A9C5-650A36C2BADB.jpeg
    D97D59B8-665D-49D0-A9C5-650A36C2BADB.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
So i wanted to bring up this on the forum to give everyone a heads up on this specific issue what u may encounter

A little backstory I’ve had my 2021 MY a year and like 4 months 14k miles

my steering wheel leather seemed like it was starting warp/peel on the top so i put in a service request right before thanksgiving,i attached pictures and i want to point out the estimate was 1,400$(probably because only fix is new steering wheel) and some change but i assumed it be covered under warranty

Day comes mobile service comes and the tech was professional and courteous i let him know to let me know if its covered or not, he looks at it and tells yea won’t be covered because its an outside influence and proceeds to tell me it was probably hand sanitizer or hand lotion 😂

I was baffled tbh that apparently I can’t put hand sanitizer or lotion cause my 50k now 65k vehicle steering wheel will start peeling, so i asked him any other options?

He texted his manager and he basically said the same so i denied replacement and tech proceeds to put air in tires and he left he was never rude and was profesional

I called tesla service center routed to a call center I basically ask what are my options as i said before i just found the reasoning absolutely hilarious and tbh even tho it’s technically by the book its “outside influences” it literally is not my problem tesla uses garbage vegan leather that can’t handle hand sanitizer that I barely put on or non existent lotion that i never put on, the lady on the phone was very courteous she also seemed confused at the reasoning so she told me i will escalate it to the service manager and assured me they should take care of me

Fast forward about an hour later i get a call from the service manager and i told him his tech was professional but I didn’t agree with assessment and i called mainly to see my options the manager proceeds to let me know yea this happens to other brands too and he has seen it in some my and m3 and so forth etc. he did his best to justify it i guess but quite frankly wasn’t gonna change my mind personally

So i asked him what are my options? Am i stuck with a wheel that just gonna keep peeling cause of “hand sanitizer and lotion” he then proceeds to tell me he will send the tech back and change it out of goodwill because i was courteous to him and his tech and advised me to probably look into a wheel cover

Tech went back replaced it all good no charge

My big takeaway i feel like this is one of those scenarios where i feel this is definitely on tesla for using garbage leather nobody in their minds gets in their cars and thinks about o wait let me not put lotion or hand sanitizer or my wheel gonna disintegrate

Sure technically outside influence but come on now

Eitherway service manager and mobile tech were professional and courteous during this maybe 5 hour ordeal, the manager did take care of me at the end of the day big props to him i feel was definitely the right thing to do to take care of a customer

Hopefully tesla changes the vegan leather or supplier this seems to be more common than it should be
I have just had a similar issue. My Model 3 was older but still under warranty and the response was the same except they will not do the repair even as a good will gesture. In fact the manager added to the list of substances that could damage the steering wheel, lotions, sunscreen, hair sprays or gels, hand sanitizers, vape pen liquid, cleaning products, leather reconditioning products food or drink.

It seems that interior trim including the steering wheel is effectively not covered by the Tesla warranty. Because any deterioration caused by exterior forces are down to the owner and any deterioration caused by interior forces are also down to the owner as they must have been caused by the owner using at least one product from the list at some point (according to Tesla) regardless of whether they did or not. I am UK based and will follow it up with Citizens Advice and Trading Standards to see where I stand.

I understand your concern about the peeling issue with Tesla steering wheels. Many Tesla owners have encountered this problem. If you're looking for a replacement steering wheel, Tesery is an excellent option. They specialize in Tesla aftermarket accessories and offer steering wheels in various materials, including vegan leather, Nappa leather, and tumbled leather. These high-quality materials are known for their durability and can be a great solution to address the peeling issue. You can explore selection to find the right steering wheel for your Tesla.

Reactions: dino007
I have a 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid that cost way more than it should and I NEVER used any product that could have caused it to deteriorate but, he it is! I have contacted Tesla and let's see what they say. We had a 2015 Model S that had the melting dash panel too and Tesla never replaced under warranty. If Tesla want to retain customers, it better look for better quality parts.

Reactions: dino007
I have a 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid that cost way more than it should and I NEVER used any product that could have caused it to deteriorate but, he it is! I have contacted Tesla and let's see what they say. We had a 2015 Model S that had the melting dash panel too and Tesla never replaced under warranty. If Tesla want to retain customers, it better look for better quality parts.
What did they end up saying?