Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pell Mell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This quote from the Efficiency->how it works page on Tesla's site always rings in my head:

Unlike lesser cars, these systems are not merely a hodge-podge of independent systems arranged pell mell

I couldn't really accept it as more than talk until a recent speedometer failure in our 2001 Honda Civic. Believe it or not, they actually store the odometer value *inside* the gauge cluster. Even though they have an ECU to centralize this kind of data for the whole car, they continue to maintain all mileage-related state inside the gauge cluster (which means that my cluster swap requires me to check the odometer-invalid box on my title when I sell it). I can only assume that's an artifact of old-school thinking during the change-over from speedometer cables to speed sensors.

Anyway, Tesla's language is beginning to gain note of truth for me :)

"...A little barren in there, isn't it?..."
"...More apparatus please..."
"...We need the machine that goes 'ping'...!"
rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
...must resist the urge to post pix of boring ICEs burried under plastic covers...
...The machine that goes 'ping' spoke for itself...
...must resist...
ag_07lexusis_250engcov.jpg

(I know there is a V6 under there because it says so!
Oh yeah - they put 6 little dimples on top so there is no mistaking it!)

Yeah, I know we parking lot mechanics have no love for the covers, guards, diapers - whatever stands in the way of you and your spark plugs, oil filters, sump plugs, etc., etc.

Which is part of the turn-on I get from the prospect of EVs. I maintain and repair all our machines in a parking spot. It's worth the pain when you're increasing performance and handling, but it's not when you're doing mindless routine maintenance. It's the latter example I want less of, and I think EVs are a way to get there...

Plus I'm sick of recycling oil.

Last edited: