Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM failure after annual service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within 3w of getting the car serviced, I had some error messages. I took the car to the service center and got the bad news that it was a PEM failure. I thought I read here somewhere that it's possible that it's a PEM fuse and not the entire PEM so I pushed back and asked the foreman to doublecheck the fuses. It turns out it was a fuse. $400 instead of $8900. Thank you forum!

The most expensive fuses in the PEM are about $100 each the last time I checked. You can order them from Digi-key. So if they mark that up 50% you are now at $300 for both fuses. It takes about 15 min to replace them. Another 15 min to discuss it with the customer. At $200/hr you are now at $400 total for the job.

Seems excessive. Especially given Wiztecy's point that the customer diagnosed the problem.

• Love
Reactions: Rossy
If you shut power down from the PEM and well informed you can do the change yourself. Don't do it live, ever. As for carrying spare fuses, I would if and only if they've blown on me before snce there was an obvious current spike that occurred and never resolved nor the source identified. It may possibly never occur again, however, odds are that it will. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about carrying spares if you never blew them in my opinion.

Reactions: nsxpert