Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM Fans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a 2.5 Sport in November. Love the car. The best irrational thing I have ever done!

OK... that being said a week ago had to have the Roadster towed to the Tesla shop as the dreaded Error 1144 PEM overheating error popped up. Diagnosis is - needs 2 new PEM fans - better than a new PEM of course. BUT the dealer is telling me they cannot locate PEM Fans in the US. Looking for ideas on how to find 2 ASAP... spring is coming and I am having separation anxiety already...

Purchased a 2.5 Sport in November. Love the car. The best irrational thing I have ever done!

OK... that being said a week ago had to have the Roadster towed to the Tesla shop as the dreaded Error 1144 PEM overheating error popped up. Diagnosis is - needs 2 new PEM fans - better than a new PEM of course. BUT the dealer is telling me they cannot locate PEM Fans in the US. Looking for ideas on how to find 2 ASAP... spring is coming and I am having separation anxiety already...

That sucks! I have a 2.0 Roadster and they same thing happened to me just a few weeks ago. I described my issue on a separate post.
My issue was same as yours. I am sorry to say that I may have gotten the last fan replacement.
I had the service center keep my old fans. I was planning on picking them up today. I like to keep old parts to mess around with them or possibly selling them.
I will ask the service center what the issues were with the fans and see if anything can be done.
I hope they can resolve the issue soon for you.

Reactions: dhrivnak
BUT the dealer is telling me they cannot locate PEM Fans in the US. Looking for ideas on how to find 2 ASAP...

I might have a some used fans, otherwise there are new ones on eBay. The new ones would need to be spliced in to your current harness by either yourself or the service center. Though I doubt the service center will help you with that.

Does your Roadster have the dual fan setup, or two individual fans?

Reactions: dhrivnak
Thanks for the quick posts from petergrub & Vip. Just got a text from the service center - they found a couple of fans. I will keep you posted on how the repair goes. Petergrub - I would DEFINITELY hang on to the fans... Feels like parts are getting harder to find all the time.

I have the same issue now. Car shut down while driving and had to flat bed to Service Center. They say the fan socket nad board are burnt and melted. Also need new dual fans. Service Center says Tesla will now supply components and not simply ay to replace the PEM. There is supposed to be some team working on new repair instructions for the SC to follow since there are so few replacement PEMs and parts around. Anybody have a spare board for sale? Peter??

• Informative
Reactions: petergrub
Service Center says Tesla will now supply components and not simply ay to replace the PEM. There is supposed to be some team working on new repair instructions for the SC to follow since there are so few replacement PEMs and parts around.
Really? That's fantastic! I would certainly like to speak to the Milford service center about the plans.

Anybody have a spare board for sale? Peter??
Nope. I have no spare PEM parts and the 1144 error doesn't usually damage the PCB of the CIC/IO board. You will likely only need to get the RHC34 connector and mate replaced.