Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM Issue

Scene

Apr 11, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
My 2.5 is on its second PEM in under 28k miles (since 2011)!
The latest PEM (new not refurbished I was assured by Tesla UK) was installed in Oct 2017 and they threw in an extended warranty for it too (luckily).

The car was charged up today (7kw Standard). I drove it no more than 200m when it came to a halt with Powertrain Errors and had to be recovered. I attach screen shots. I’ve tried several times to get it going again without success.

The car is also now failing to charge: It quits with the same power train error message in < 1 min and the charge port then flashes red before it tries again....and so on.

By the look of the debug messages it seems ominously like a PEM IGBT issue, but last time it happened it would still accept charge. I’m wondering if it could be something else in the PEM seeing as it happened immediately after a charge? Coincidence? Prior to this it has been running great without any indications of an impending problem. Would be wonderful if it turns out to be something simple like a loose cable

Any ideas, thoughts or things to try? I have logs available too.

Currently waiting for the tech at Tesla UK to get back to me too.

Thanks.

Ray.

E804791C-FB4B-4B1F-B5ED-60D5319BB1D5.jpeg 792950D0-ABAC-4D90-9015-40272557E691.jpeg

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
All 3 phases reporting an overcurrent at the same time is really strange. One IGBT can't take them all out.

Also odd that it's complaining about the alarm system right before.

No clue...

PV-EV

Jun 3, 2011
Alaska
905 combined with failure to charge could be the PEM internal fuses. If it is just the IGBT failure it should still charge. Under warranty I would take it in. Out of warranty I would open up the PEM.

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Miami
Also odd that it's complaining about the alarm system right before.

I get that a lot of I wait to long or if I’m loading the car before I turn the key, it‘s the North America/Europe immobilizer.

take it in If you have a warranty, if no other reason than they can keep it charged.

einhalv

Aug 2, 2019
Horten, Norway
My 2.5 is on its second PEM in under 28k miles (since 2011)!
The latest PEM (new not refurbished I was assured by Tesla UK) was installed in Oct 2017 and they threw in an extended warranty for it too (luckily).

The car was charged up today (7kw Standard). I drove it no more than 200m when it came to a halt with Powertrain Errors and had to be recovered. I attach screen shots. I’ve tried several times to get it going again without success.

The car is also now failing to charge: It quits with the same power train error message in < 1 min and the charge port then flashes red before it tries again....and so on.

By the look of the debug messages it seems ominously like a PEM IGBT issue, but last time it happened it would still accept charge. I’m wondering if it could be something else in the PEM seeing as it happened immediately after a charge? Coincidence? Prior to this it has been running great without any indications of an impending problem. Would be wonderful if it turns out to be something simple like a loose cable

Any ideas, thoughts or things to try? I have logs available too.

Currently waiting for the tech at Tesla UK to get back to me too.

Thanks.

Ray.

View attachment 468969 View attachment 468970

Did you figure out what the reason was?

Scene

Apr 11, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
Phase B Overcurrent > Load Capacitor deformed / HV IGBT Short to Heatsink > Result = PEM Fault

Lucky for me they had no choice but to honour the previous PEM warranty.

upload_2020-11-13_0-25-6.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-13_0-24-54.jpeg
    upload_2020-11-13_0-24-54.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Informative
Reactions: markwj

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC