TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Eberhard, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

Does some other owner has problem with teh PEM, shuting down because fan does not work. I have my new roadster 3 weeks. one week ago after traveling through havy snowfall. I recharged my car through the night. text day, after driving for 10minutes i got the error message #1144. I was already on my way to Zürich. the message popped up serveral times until it got steady. 300m away from the Tesla Store, the System shuted down the entire system because of overheating of the drive drain". I managed to get the last distance to the Tesla store, whrer they replaced the PEm`s cooling fan, because of well known contact problems. But one week later, same happend again.
    I could restart the fan by advice of the german service manager. I managed to reach home. After 2 hours, i managed to start to charge the batterie. The fan seemed to work again. Next day, i drove 80km but then again, error message #1144. But this time i didnt manage to restart the fan. i called my wife to pick me up and to wait until the PEM is cooled of.
    anyone with same expirience?

Eberhard

2. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I've had a noisy motor fan but never failure. Have you checked your fuse box for a blown fuse?

3. Eberhard

the service manager told me, that they experience electrical contact problems and freezing fans in the cold

4. Eberhard

I opened the back cover and checked the fan. After knocking against the fan with a screwdriver, it started to turn. it seems he was clampted by the wet and icy driving condition in the winter cold.
    I will get a new fan to replace this one.

5. Eberhard

Today i got the new fan/blower. i will replace the old one within the next days.

6. f0x

f0x Member

I have had my fans replaced twice (first after 5000km and then after 12000km). Now I'm at 25000km, winter again and salty roads....
    This is a known issue and Tesla is working on a permanent solution, I've been told.

7. SByer

SByer '08 #383

If only IceCap made fans in that size...

(IceCap makes equipment for aquarium hobbyists, including salt-water hardened fans for ventilation - the ones in our tank in the sump area - think 80 degrees with salt crusting everywhere - lasted about 4 years before even starting to fail).

8. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Two words: Special Order

:wink:

9. Eberhard

The new fan is working fine. The old one was quite rosty, but i didnt found something wich may block the rotor. it turns as easily like the new one. But i cannot understand, that all the rust could happen within one week only? Now my motor is getting quite hot. second yellow field but i was only running with 20-30kw. not enough cooling air?, will my motor-blower fail too? it is the same model like the blower for the PEM.

10. Eberhard

Hot Motor

Today i rode a little bit faster than usual, but within 30kW range not faster than 140km/h. the indicator went into the yellow zone. After leaving the autobahn i slowed down into the 200W/km range but even then the indicator rose to yellow 2. after having problems with the air-blower for the PEM I fear similar problems with the identical blower for the motor. Did someone have similar experience. OutsideTemperature was around zero celsius. Eberhard

11. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Second yellow; that's not right in Germany in the winter; on the highway today at 0*C, 65mph, cabin heater on full my PEM temp was on the second blue but, motor and battery on first blue.

I get to the yellow in summer at 40*C when I'm giving it some stick.

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

hmm... I've used similar looking scroll fans in the lab. I'm not sure they're up to the road grime you'd pick up in an automotive environment. Is there an air filter in there somewhere?

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    http://www.teslamotors.com/enthusiasts/blog/3807
    The above was just a general comment about components in general. I have not heard of other owners running into multiple fan failures so soon after taking delivery.

By the way, slightly ironically, I notice that my "Tesla Fan" logo icon stops spinning on this forum sometimes.

(Local GIF animation playback issue with some browsers I guess.)

14. Eberhard

i just got the news, that the blower for the motor has some drop out and need to be replaced. will get a new blower soon.

15. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

16. Eberhard

Now i got the #1144 error-message again. I already received a new blower for the engine, maybe i will swap for the PEM instead. I only wonder, why those error only appear at temperature below -5° Celsius together with snow and salt-wet streets?. Is something wrong with those blowers in general?
    I know: "it never rains (snows) in southern california!"

17. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

today I have to add : me too
    nearly same conditions, A61, snow fall, wet, -2C°. After parking and charging the car for about 4 hours => ID1144 +
    ID 269 and shut down while driving slowly.
    I was able to drive my car to my hotel, for now the error vanished, but I'm sure it will come back
    @eberhard : Is your problem finally solved ? what was the solution ?

18. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Geez guys, we here in Canada drive in these conditions all of the time...I've never seen an error message.

Just curious, how far are you driving before you get these error mesages? (I'm only averaging about 40 kms / day).

19. Eberhard

i carry a spare blower with me. i left germany 2 weeks ago to see elon musk and JB Straubel in Milan. then i drove to Spain. Just before Valencia the same. on the autovia i have to push from underneath, where the blower sits and he started to spin again. was fine for 2000km but now i just passed Geneve and its raining and snowing now. think will not take long now.
    on saturday i will charge my car in munic in the teslastore. hope they can check it.

20. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

My daily average is > 150 km and today 360 km, odometer about 16.500 km, my guess, Eberhard is in the same range or more

and yes I would fully understand if you as Canadian would call me a wimp :smile: