Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i carry a spare blower with me. i left germany 2 weeks ago to see elon musk and JB Straubel in Milan. then i drove to Spain. Just before Valencia the same. on the autovia i have to push from underneath, where the blower sits and he started to spin again. was fine for 2000km but now i just passed Geneve and its raining and snowing now. think will not take long now.
on saturday i will charge my car in munic in the teslastore. hope they can check it.

Thanks for your hints and I wish you a safe journey home. May be that's the reason why the Tesla connector is so heavy:wink:
Wouldn't need a hammer ....

Geez guys, we here in Canada drive in these conditions all of the time...I've never seen an error message.

I've never had an error due to cold, either. The Roadster doesn't mind the cold one bit.

You can get the rare error for no obvious reason. There was a timing problem in a previous firmware version that occasionally caused my car to shut down moments after starting it. A firmware update cleaned that up.

About a week ago I had the VDS crash entirely when I unplugged and tried to start it. When it came back up it was showing far less range than it should have, but that went back to normal sometime after I parked it.

Maybe this is a coincidence, but I seem to get more gremlins when I charge at 70A.

i carry a spare blower with me

I don't understand why you have so much trouble with your fan. Weird.

Then only thing I've ever noticed about the fan in the back... after leaving the car in storage for about a month it was kinda growling a little bit at first. I assumed it had accumulated some crud or something, but it went back to normal.

How do you access the PEM fan; your comment seemed to suggest you could reach it from underneath?

I don't understand why you have so much trouble with your fan. Weird.

my guess, it's not the cold itself but the moisture, at -2C° the snow melts, the German Autobahn is often overcrowded by trucks, which are making a cloud of moisture all the time and me driving behind them...

below -10 C° I would expect a quite dry cold which wouldn't have any effect on the fan, but who knows ...

How do you access the PEM fan; your comment seemed to suggest you could reach it from underneath?

yes, the service manager says so, should be 20 min. work
I'll get my new fan tomorrow and will change it on monday in the tire shop of my brother (actually he will do the job:wink:) I'll take some pictures and post them here in a new thread. But perhaps Eberhard is quicker than me ...

On my way back home my fan stopped working, when I got into the rain again, but it was exciting driving, always have a look in the back mirror for trucks which want to pass me, switching the VDM from temperature to ideal miles (I started with a SOC just to the point of my travel distance, no reserve) and keep everything in balance. Kept me fresh and awake.:smile:
But I made it home without any bigger problems.

After recharging overnight I found the error ID-947, "shutdown system is to hot" on my display. That looks to me as if the fan is needed also during charging. I thought first it is only used to cool down the power semiconductors.

Some slaps with my hand to the rear underbody cover on the left side started the fan again. Thanks to the service manager in Munich, who suggested this.

thats how it starts until it has to be replaced. the slaps helps the blower to break free. the blower is also need for charging. if it doesn't start spinning, you will get this error-message. it happens to me too. the blower is only IP33.

IP Code - Wikipedia

Ingress protection of an enclosure. First number is against solids i.e. dust, rocks, fingers; second number is against water.

IP33 signifies no openings larger than 2.5mm for solid object protection, and protection from water falling at an angle up to 60 degrees from vertical.
IP54 signifies no solid object contact and minor dust protection, and protection from water splashed from any angle/direction.
IP56 improves on IP54's water rating to protect against pressurized water jets from any angle/direction.

Being a fan (designed to move air), I wouldn't ever expect a high solid object rating for these units.

IP Code - Wikipedia

Being a fan (designed to move air), I wouldn't ever expect a high solid object rating for these units.

you would be surprised by the things you would find in the air, even in indoor air in industrial plants, but high water protection comes always with a dust protection, I've never heard of a fan with e.g. IP16.

If you drive on a truck crowded autobahn through a heavy rainfall every piece of dust is swirled up in a cloud of moisture and will reach the fan sooner or later.

I just did more then 5000km within 16 days. Despite my fears, the blower is still working fine. Blue sky over bavaria. I just get my car recharged in Munic. When I arrive home, i will have made 700km on a single day.

It'd be really good if you could write up an account of this trip. It doesn't have to be as long as one of mine :)smile:) but maybe capture all the key points and how far you went each day, how you charged etc.

5000km in 16 days is very impressive and is something else to use against the "you can't use EVs for roadtrips" crowd.

I've never had an error due to cold, either. The Roadster doesn't mind the cold one bit.

You can get the rare error for no obvious reason. There was a timing problem in a previous firmware version that occasionally caused my car to shut down moments after starting it. A firmware update cleaned that up.

About a week ago I had the VDS crash entirely when I unplugged and tried to start it. When it came back up it was showing far less range than it should have, but that went back to normal sometime after I parked it.

Maybe this is a coincidence, but I seem to get more gremlins when I charge at 70A.

The explanation I got for my VMS crash was electrical noise from charging, typically towards the end (as it's tapering off). Mine also rebooted just as I disconnected my UMC at 240V/40A.