TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Eberhard, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Thanks Rabar10!

2. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

if you include parts like bearings into the electrical portion, I agree. Blades, shafts etc. are not covered by the IP rating, I agree too. I think I'll see tomorrow what stopped the fan from working.

3. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

#43 Eberhard, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    When i looked to the replaced blower, i found heavy corrosion on the shaft as well on the inner contacts. I assume that there are no roll-bearings for heavy duty. SPAL also recommends this product as medium duty rated. Its simple not the right blower for the condition in where it works. The real problem, that the rotor does not start spinning, because it cannot achieve the momentum it needs to break free. I am wonder why TESLA is still using this particular blower type and not using a more robust version yet.
    The fan under the hood in the front for the AC- and battery-cooling is IP 68 rated. They will work even, if you try to use the roadster as a submarine.

4. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

I can confirm that, made some pictures and will post them tomorrow.
    Unfortunately the blower for the motor is the same type ..., the clock is ticking.

that are good news. Now cinergi can test how good a Tesla Roadster is at snow plowing:cool:

5. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

here are the pictures :

connector of the fan. inside it was clean but outside it looks not very reliable.

[​IMG]

shaft and bearing "cover" :

[​IMG]

outlet of the fan which is connected by a flexible tube to the PEM.
    I hope that the tube is not leading into the PEM, only to the outside of the PEM, cold plate cooling with air.

[​IMG]

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Thanks. So no air filter anywhere?

Btw, for some reason whenever I see your name I read it as Truckasaurus.
    truckasaurus.jpg

7. zack

zack Member

Yeah, it's too bad that fan and the cooling ducts get so filled with dust. Seems like a filter would be a good idea, albeit yet another thing to replace. I wonder if they had any idea how dirty it was going to get.

8. Eberhard

Thats whats fears me too. Everything what harms the blower will be sent to the PEM for cooling, including water and salt. Can you see the tiny white spots and crusts? Pure salt.

9. zack

zack Member

Does all of the air that goes to the fans come from the scoops on the side of the car? Or does it come from below as well?

10. Eberhard

it only comes from the openings beside the wheels. This cause, all stuff being moved by the tires will find his way to the blower including water and salt.

11. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

one thing about warranty in Germany (EU too ? ) in general :

If a part is exchanged due to a warranty problem for this new part the warranty starts from zero. For the exchanged fan a I have now a new full 24 month warranty period.

@doug : heh, I'm not eating my car, I love it, I'm just driving it. And for convenience you might use my first name instead Ulrich or short form Uli:smile:

12. zack

zack Member

Perhaps some fiberglass filter material can be stuffed behind the openings. I'll look at mine when it arrives next week.

13. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

System shutting down.

My PEM fan is no more. After a soggy drive out yesterday I started the morning with a drivetrain error but pressed on... like you do... Sure enough the PEM got hot and ultimately went into power limiting.

Fortunately, after keeping tabs on this tread I knew what to anticipate. I pulled over, checked the fan could be turned, i.e. wasn't just jammed up with something I could remove; not a totally ridiculous idea; I pulled a leaf out of it once! This time time I found that it was turning but very slowly.

I called my Tesla Ranger, waited a while then proceeded home at as slow a pace as I could. Only problem with that plan; a very steep 1 mile long hill... the wrong way. It took me a few goes, setting off... "Power Limited"... shutdown... wait... setting off...

Eventually, I made it to a local Starbucks, had a Latte, did some work on the iPad, drove the last few miles home after it'd cooled down enough.

I expect my Ranger will be here soon.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You can easily reach the fan to check it?

15. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

yes from under the car. Easiest way if you can put the car on an autohoist.
    Here a short how to, sorry at the moment no time for a more detailed description :
    @mpt : sorry, but now you are a club member. But driving with out the PEM fan is a real thrill, so we were are no wimps.:wink:

EU Roadster 2.5 (screw sizes may differ for other cars)

Remove the cover, then replace the fan.
    Screws in the front row (while looking from the rear) are Tox 3,
    screws in the back row are wrench /spanner size 8, spanner /wrench size for the fan screws 13 :

Part 1 :

attachment.php?attachmentid=1469&d=1299521060.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=1470&d=1299521081.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=1471&d=1299521096.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

Part 2 :

attachment.php?attachmentid=1472&d=1299521797.jpg

Fan removed :

attachment.php?attachmentid=1473&d=1299521889.jpg

Attached Files:

17. zack

zack Member

Ugh, that's just ugly. There should be some kind of rudimentary filtering to keep leaves and debris from reaching the critical fan components.

18. Eberhard

Thats what i am talking with the tesla-Reps since i got my Roadster delivered. first blower was two week only. Second only one week. third 3 week (with one week wait for delivery) 4th another 3 weeks. Since then the blower made 6000km with one failure-event only. But under the sunny skies of spain and southern france.

19. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

assuming the fan doesn't blow the air directly into the PEM but outside along the PEM (cold plate cooling) the debris isn't the problem, but the cover of the bearing is quite poor.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Does that picture show two blowers?