Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Rabar10!

IP Code - Wikipedia

Ingress protection of an enclosure. First number is against solids i.e. dust, rocks, fingers; second number is against water.

IP33 signifies no openings larger than 2.5mm for solid object protection, and protection from water falling at an angle up to 60 degrees from vertical.
IP54 signifies no solid object contact and minor dust protection, and protection from water splashed from any angle/direction.
IP56 improves on IP54's water rating to protect against pressurized water jets from any angle/direction.

Being a fan (designed to move air), I wouldn't ever expect a high solid object rating for these units.

When i looked to the replaced blower, i found heavy corrosion on the shaft as well on the inner contacts. I assume that there are no roll-bearings for heavy duty. SPAL also recommends this product as medium duty rated. Its simple not the right blower for the condition in where it works. The real problem, that the rotor does not start spinning, because it cannot achieve the momentum it needs to break free. I am wonder why TESLA is still using this particular blower type and not using a more robust version yet.
The fan under the hood in the front for the AC- and battery-cooling is IP 68 rated. They will work even, if you try to use the roadster as a submarine.

Last edited:
When i looked to the replaced blower, i found heavy corrosion on the shaft as well on the inner contacts. I assume that there are no roll-bearings for heavy duty. SPAL also recommends this product as medium duty rated. Its simple not the right blower for the condition in where it works. The real problem, that the rotor does not start spinning, because it cannot achieve the momentum it needs to break free. I am wonder why TESLA is still using this particular blower type and not using a more robust version yet.

I can confirm that, made some pictures and will post them tomorrow.
Unfortunately the blower for the motor is the same type ..., the clock is ticking.

The fan under the hood in the front for the AC- and battery-cooling is IP 68 rated. They will work even, if you try to use the roadster as a submarine.

that are good news. Now cinergi can test how good a Tesla Roadster is at snow plowing:cool:

here are the pictures :

connector of the fan. inside it was clean but outside it looks not very reliable.

shaft and bearing "cover" :

outlet of the fan which is connected by a flexible tube to the PEM.
I hope that the tube is not leading into the PEM, only to the outside of the PEM, cold plate cooling with air.

one thing about warranty in Germany (EU too ? ) in general :

If a part is exchanged due to a warranty problem for this new part the warranty starts from zero. For the exchanged fan a I have now a new full 24 month warranty period.

@doug : heh, I'm not eating my car, I love it, I'm just driving it. And for convenience you might use my first name instead Ulrich or short form Uli:smile:

System shutting down.

My PEM fan is no more. After a soggy drive out yesterday I started the morning with a drivetrain error but pressed on... like you do... Sure enough the PEM got hot and ultimately went into power limiting.

Fortunately, after keeping tabs on this tread I knew what to anticipate. I pulled over, checked the fan could be turned, i.e. wasn't just jammed up with something I could remove; not a totally ridiculous idea; I pulled a leaf out of it once! This time time I found that it was turning but very slowly.

I called my Tesla Ranger, waited a while then proceeded home at as slow a pace as I could. Only problem with that plan; a very steep 1 mile long hill... the wrong way. It took me a few goes, setting off... "Power Limited"... shutdown... wait... setting off...

Eventually, I made it to a local Starbucks, had a Latte, did some work on the iPad, drove the last few miles home after it'd cooled down enough.

I expect my Ranger will be here soon.

You can easily reach the fan to check it?

yes from under the car. Easiest way if you can put the car on an autohoist.
Here a short how to, sorry at the moment no time for a more detailed description :
@mpt : sorry, but now you are a club member. But driving with out the PEM fan is a real thrill, so we were are no wimps.:wink:

EU Roadster 2.5 (screw sizes may differ for other cars)

Remove the cover, then replace the fan.
Screws in the front row (while looking from the rear) are Tox 3,
screws in the back row are wrench /spanner size 8, spanner /wrench size for the fan screws 13 :

Part 1 :

attachment.php?attachmentid=1469&d=1299521060.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=1470&d=1299521081.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=1471&d=1299521096.jpg

Attachments

• Remove_Cover_0719_scaled.JPG
    Remove_Cover_0719_scaled.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 673
  • Remove_Cover-1_0722_scaled.JPG
    Remove_Cover-1_0722_scaled.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 642
  • Remove_Cover-2_0724_scaled.JPG
    Remove_Cover-2_0724_scaled.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 643
Thats what i am talking with the tesla-Reps since i got my Roadster delivered. first blower was two week only. Second only one week. third 3 week (with one week wait for delivery) 4th another 3 weeks. Since then the blower made 6000km with one failure-event only. But under the sunny skies of spain and southern france.