Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i got a new blower combination with a single drive and a twin rotor, one for the PEM, the other for the AC-motor. But with the rising heat with above 32° Celsius, the blower does not push enough air to move the color in performance mode from red to white.

i got a new blower combination with a single drive and a twin rotor, one for the PEM, the other for the AC-motor. But with the rising heat with above 32° Celsius, the blower does not push enough air to move the color in performance mode from red to white.

Same by me. Performance mode is pretty much useless with a Standard Roadster in Summer.

Same by me. Performance mode is pretty much useless with a Standard Roadster in Summer.

Which is getting too hot - the motor or PEM? It cools the PEM quicker than the old fans so I'm surprised...

Here's what Tesla found:

PEM 1.JPG

Not surprising.

Or a bunch of leaves. I'm still amazed that Tesla didn't have a simple filter on the fans to prevent all of this.

According to Tesla, just a bunch of leaves and other roadside debris. Not the worst they're seen, either, by a long shot.

They said they've investigated filters, but the filters create drag that will lead to premature fan failure and/or reduce flow that impairs their cooling effect on the PEM.

According to Tesla, just a bunch of leaves and other roadside debris. Not the worst they're seen, either, by a long shot.

They said they've investigated filters, but the filters create drag that will lead to premature fan failure and/or reduce flow that impairs their cooling effect on the PEM.

Wouldn't a grate of some sort work? Things would still get through easily but it would stop the larger items from getting through. I'm hoping they upgrade my PEM fan at some point but as far as I know, it's still working well.

Right.:cursing: I suppose those leaves and debris didn't impair cooling? There is already a filter of sorts. It's the grate on the intake to the PEM. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to design a course filter that would not restrict air-flow. Certainly not any more than the PEM grate restricts flow.

FWIW, a web search on the blowers came up with these links:

Spec sheet: http://www.spalusa.com/pdf/30000556_SPEC.pdf

Buy Direct at: http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=30000556 for $109.43

IP33 rated which means "Protected from touch by hands greater than 2.5 millimeters" & "Protected from water spray less than 60 degrees from vertical" (see http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/forms/NEMA,%20UL,%20and%20IP%20Rating%20Codes.pdf for explanations.

312 CFM at 0 static pressure
19 amps, 12 volts nominal
"low noise"
available single speed or 3-speed

Note that the blower does not produce high pressure. If I'm reading the spec sheet properly, at 3.6psi there is no airflow at all.