Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pencils down in 6 weeks - Model 3 design work nearly finished

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You get wet.
What happens when it rains and you have to open the hatch??
It is a good thing it doesn't rain in view of that mountain! ;)
(which by the way, every time I see a post from you I think, "gasp! my mountain!" I don't know if it makes everyone else catch their breath, but It does me. Maybe because it is a breathtaking day when we can see the damn thing ;) )

I like the way you said that. He comes off really sincere and I hear in his voice that he cares about the planet and he wants his dream to be realized for everyone. Its all good for me

the quote from @melindav you quoted was in response to a comment I made. I totally agree with his sincerity and that it's a good quality. My wife and I were remarking during the Shareholders' meeting that he seems less polished than other car execs, who will go out there, read the canned message off their note card or teleprompter, and sit down without answering any questions.

To my wife and I, the "awkwardness" makes him seem way more authentic.

image.jpeg Dear Tesla Folks,
Can you save/budget some space under the rear bumper, where the dual exhaust/muffler usually goes, for a "car is the robot" hands free charge connection? And a tap into the battery bus nearby?

Essentially the car backs into galvanically isolated charger that touches where the exhaust usually is. 10 kW capability. 1'x1'x2" volume budget on the car side (under the bumper).

It saves 10 million man hours a year and should be a 94% efficient (from the wall to the battery bus voltage) weather proof connection (suitable for apartment parking lots with no clutter).

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't think the trunk opening issue is with the height. The problemfor me is the opening from front to back. I want to be able to put a family size cooler in there. If that opening is only 17" or so that won't do. So they'll either have to extend the trunk lid/shorten the glass or extend the rear end. I don't see any way they would attempt the latter as that would change drag and the overall shape of the car. I suspect they will shift the glass/lid seam a couple inches and possibly the hinge slightly if necessary.

Reactions: BlairC
It saves 10 million man hours a year
Where did you get that number from?

It take me less than 5 seconds to plug in and unplug my Teslas at home on the days I drive them. I have no interest in induction charging. A direct connection cable works very well.

In the future, when fully autonomous EVs are available as a "transportation on demand" service, induction charging may be required, but I suspect that Elon's "charging snake cable" that Tesla released a video of over a year ago may turn out to be a better solution, avoiding the efficiency losses of induction charging.

What's wrong with the smaller line on the left? The problem - to me - is the larger line on the right. It HAS to move further towards the front of the car so that items can be placed in the trunk both vertically and horizontally. As is, it has almost no vertical access space, so you have to insert cargo horizontally, which isn't ergonomic whatsoever. The actual size of the trunk is plenty large. It's just the size of the trunk's opening.

I don't have any clue how they could move that line more forward, though.

JJVHNXj.jpg

My suggestion: Create a cross-beam mid-rear door in front of the rear passenger's head. Make it a hatchback. It would be a really, really large hatch, but I'm not sure what better option is available.

I think trimming glass and extending hatch in it's place- just a few inches- would make big difference while retaining current support structure:

M3 - Copy.gif

I think the videos from the reveal are not very helpful respecting the actual size of the trunk opening, particularly compared to other cars. I don't remember seeing any examples of typical items being placed in the trunk so that there's some sort of reference for scale. It may be small but not especially small, is what I'm saying. And it could be that they can make the opening larger without any exterior changes - the opening isn't the lines on the outside, it's determined by the seal on the inside. They may be able to cut that back a little from where it was on the reveal cars.

I drive a tiny econobox sedan with a trunk that looks positively tiny on the outside, but I've never had any trouble getting regular stuff into it. I'm not really worried about the 3's trunk opening.

(which by the way, every time I see a post from you I think, "gasp! my mountain!" I don't know if it makes everyone else catch their breath, but It does me. Maybe because it is a breathtaking day when we can see the damn thing ;) )
Yah. It used to be my mountain too, I used to live in Olympia(the view from my back yard then), but now I look at Mt Hood in the Portland area. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
You think it is just a perceived problem - obviously you don't think it needs fixing !

The lesser the utility of the trunk, the more I'll have to take my other (ICE) car. So, I may end up driving less % using Model 3 compared to Leaf now ;)
Do I see it as a problem they need to redesign, spend more money in R&D, tooling, complexity and time on, causing delays in delivery? No I don't.

New car development is a lot like finding a Presidential candidate. You will NEVER find one you agree with 100%. It's about compromise and everyone is different.

The Model 3 is a tremendous vehicle but it won't be for everyone. Also, I don't think that trunk opening is as small as many believe, but everyone's tolerance will be different.

Dan

With regards to the trunk opening, as long as I can remove the wheel on my fatbike (Fatbike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), drop the seats in the car and slide it in the hole without needing to remove the pedals from the bike, I will be quite happy. Otherwise, I will either have to get a decent roof rack for the pano roof, or buy a Model S instead.
Otherwise, I think the car is perfect. The shape of it is good, and even the front I find nice.