Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pencils down in 6 weeks - Model 3 design work nearly finished

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I'd like to hear is what's their aim for the "max range" equivalent version of model 3. Of course those numbers will probably change before the car is out but it would be nice get some indication.

Of course, if we take a "basic model S" and "basic model 3" specs they seem to be pretty close to each other, so here's to hoping that "max range" 3 will be more or less the same as "max range" S.

I'm still caught between the S and the 3. The S would financially be a bit of a struggle (at the moment, not in 2018), but would have the tailgate and more room and I can have it now, but, if I wait, then the £20K difference will mean that I can drop that off the mortgage, or take the family for a good holiday in Australia etc. My lack of patience is killing me :)

I'm still caught between the S and the 3. The S would financially be a bit of a struggle (at the moment, not in 2018), but would have the tailgate and more room and I can have it now, but, if I wait, then the £20K difference will mean that I can drop that off the mortgage, or take the family for a good holiday in Australia etc. My lack of patience is killing me :)
Sadly if you are paying in pounds sterling you should have bought an S last week. Difference in 3 S price is no longer your material financial variable. #BRECONSIDER

I think people are over-thinking this rear hatch / trunk lid / rear glass / rear passenger headroom thing. Yes, it might be a nice selling point, but how many of us have a rear seat full of adults even 10 percent of the time? I might have had rear seat passengers 3 times in the last 5 years, at most.

And as for kids in the back seat - they aren't paying the bills, so their opinions don't count. They don't have to be comfortable.

Owners say the Model S is a large car. Being in London, does that affect your decision? With the Model 3 you get a car that seats five, it's a smaller car which would probably be better for European travel, and you possibly get more range and performance for less money.

Reactions: Tiberius
The obvious answer is wait for the model 3. Between the two, there's absolutely no benefit to the Model S except for selfish the desires. I totally get it but since you have a family, the choice is crystal clear.

At least wait for the reveal part 2.... you'll have more info then and the release will be that much closer. Until then, you have to put on your sad British face and wait it out.
AS42s.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if there were any last minute autopilot changes...

Doubtful, as I believe the plan was for Model 3 to get AP v2.0 all along.

I'm guessing S/X will have an announcement that all cars configured after ____(?) date will have the hardware installed, and they will push software update later.

Then the 3 will have it at launch.

(Guess between the new "master plan" and Reveal Part 2...we'll find out)

Doubtful, as I believe the plan was for Model 3 to get AP v2.0 all along.

I'm guessing S/X will have an announcement that all cars configured after ____(?) date will have the hardware installed, and they will push software update later.

Then the 3 will have it at launch.

(Guess between the new "master plan" and Reveal Part 2...we'll find out)
We did see that pic of that Tesla driving around with LIDAR. While they could be benchmarking LIDAR against their current solution there are some cheaper LIDAR options nowadays and it does provide redundancy to camera and radar based systems.

Autopilot 2.0 and leading up to full autonomy is all about redundancy.

We did see that pic of that Tesla driving around with LIDAR. While they could be benchmarking LIDAR against their current solution there are some cheaper LIDAR options nowadays and it does provide redundancy to camera and radar based systems.

Autopilot 2.0 and leading up to full autonomy is all about redundancy.

there have been talks of the new Mobileye system...I'm assuming it's being tested on S's and X's, and might soon be spotted on a 3 mule.

in the wake of the recent crash, it's been noted that AP v2.0 will be able to handle cross-traffic situations, something (sadly :( ) that the current version does not handle well.