Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending delivery Tesla Used P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I’m waiting to hear when I can pick up my 2014 P85D.

Only manual I can find on Tesla’s site is the latest revision from May.

Should I dive into this manual or is there somewhere I can find a manual more tuned to a P85D with AP1?

Thanks
Erik

Unfortunately, Tesla always puts out their manuals tailored to the most current version of the car. It keeps it up to date with the current software that's out there, which is in all cars, but unfortunately for people getting older cars, that means reading about some features you'll never see.

The basics of operating the car, lights, charging, etc are fairly universal across model years, so definitely read through the manual anyway. Just don't get too wrapped around the smaller details.

Some differences you'll want to note between the older cars and the newer cars:
The AP control stalk will have an extra button on the end, not mentioned in the manual because it's not in newer cars. This simply turns off AP.
The manual mentions a spot on the windshield where you can put toll transponders and RFID tags for garages/car washes. I haven't found the real place to put it on my window yet, and the metallic coating on the window does a great job of blocking the signal.
The manual will claim you can open the charge port with the key fob. I don't think older cars do that, or least I haven't successfully done it on mine.

You'll figure out all the quirks over time.

• Informative
Reactions: erik_k
The manual mentions a spot on the windshield where you can put toll transponders and RFID tags for garages/car washes. I haven't found the real place to put it on my window yet, and the metallic coating on the window does a great job of blocking the signal.

On my 2015 (AP1), the original owner had the toll transponder mounting tabs just to the right of the rearview mirror. There was a little blank space there which the new style (smaller) transponders fits in perfectly when mounted vertically. Never had a problem with tolls being read.

On my 2019, I have the transponder again just to the right of the rearview mirror mounted as close to the top of the windshield as possible and it works fine. I am not sure if the 2019 has the same windshield coating as the 2015 did (doesn't appear to have it).

The manual will claim you can open the charge port with the key fob. I don't think older cars do that, or least I haven't successfully done it on mine.
For both my (now traded) 2014 and 2015s, holding the "rear trunk" button down for about two seconds would pop open the charge port. The 2014 didn't auto-close the port, however.

Your 2015 should also have this feature, but maybe it depends on other features being present like "tech package" or similar?

For both my (now traded) 2014 and 2015s, holding the "rear trunk" button down for about two seconds would pop open the charge port. The 2014 didn't auto-close the port, however.

Your 2015 should also have this feature, but maybe it depends on other features being present like "tech package" or similar?
Holding down the rear trunk button opens my trunk.

Reactions: gaswalla

My 12/2014 with tech package auto closes the port.