Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending firmware update: ? Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to struggle. That seems obvious. I don't mean to suggest the hardware is overtaxed but it likely isn't being used efficiently. Overall hw2 seems to struggle to perform adequately.

Genuinely curious, how do you come to that conclusion? I mean, what symptoms you go by? Overheating? Reboots? Noises? Sparks? Sweat?

If you extrapolate from the display - that's all software! You see, what they want you to see.

Easter egg if you tap center T 3 times fast on 8.1.

I have a couple questions I am hoping all you brilliant people can answer :).

The first is where is the T located that you tap on? I tried the T at the top center of the touch screen where it takes you to the screen with your cars name, miles on the car and software release notes. I am sure it something obvious I am missing and feel like an idiot that I can't figure this one out.

Second, regarding the calibration of the cameras and sensors on freeway driving for the new higher speed. It says in the notes it can take a few days of driving to do this. Has anyone got theirs to calibrate yet? If so, can someone tell me about how long it took? Does it need to be freeway driving? Also, how do you know when the calibration is complete?

Thanks In Advance For Your Help!!!

Bill

I have a couple questions I am hoping all you brilliant people can answer :).

The first is where is the T located that you tap on? I tried the T at the top center of the touch screen where it takes you to the screen with your cars name, miles on the car and software release notes. I am sure it something obvious I am missing and feel like an idiot that I can't figure this one out.

Second, regarding the calibration of the cameras and sensors on freeway driving for the new higher speed. It says in the notes it can take a few days of driving to do this. Has anyone got theirs to calibrate yet? If so, can someone tell me about how long it took? Does it need to be freeway driving? Also, how do you know when the calibration is complete?

Thanks In Advance For Your Help!!!

Bill

You have the right T. The trick is you have to tap it really fast. At first I wasn't tapping fast enough, and it didn't work. Tap it like you are double clicking a mouse, but faster.

I didn't have to wait for calibration. Mine worked immediately after the update. I did have a calibration when autosteer was first enabled back in January, but that only took one day of driving and then parking the car overnight. Next day it was working fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomnook
You have the right T. The trick is you have to tap it really fast. At first I wasn't tapping fast enough, and it didn't work. Tap it like you are double clicking a mouse, but faster.

I didn't have to wait for calibration. Mine worked immediately after the update. I did have a calibration when autosteer was first enabled back in January, but that only took one day of driving and then parking the car overnight. Next day it was working fine.

Thanks for the 'mouse click' tip - mine works fine now.
No sign of cameras working here either - perfectly fine before the update now there are no lines shown on the screen and no message to say that the cameras are calibrating. Pretty basic really to give a message indicating what's happening!

Genuinely curious, how do you come to that conclusion? I mean, what symptoms you go by? Overheating? Reboots? Noises? Sparks? Sweat?

If you extrapolate from the display - that's all software! You see, what they want you to see.

The hardware is not what I'm commenting on but rather the software is being pushed. It doesn't operate as well above 70mph. They clearly just did 80mph because Elon overpromised again.

It's not like it's unsafe at 80 but it's definitely more unsafe at 80 than 65.

Just my impression based on a couple days use.

I can tell the car is aware of the other cars in the lanes adjacent. I don't think they are displayed because the system is clearly at its limit. I am hoping they are better able to refine the data processing to reassure us all that it is working as intended.

That seems.... unlikely. The hard part is telling that cars are there. I'd be pretty surprised if their high end 24TFLOPS GPU's are struggling to handle drawing a few extra png's.

Reactions: OBX John

Thanks for the help. Not sure what to think of this Easter egg, lol. I guess it could be fun if you are waiting for someone and need something to pass the time. The question is where does it go if you hit publish and can you see others stuff?

The hardware is not what I'm commenting on but rather the software is being pushed. It doesn't operate as well above 70mph. They clearly just did 80mph because Elon overpromised again.

It's not like it's unsafe at 80 but it's definitely more unsafe at 80 than 65.

Just my impression based on a couple days use.

as a relatively new user myself, my experience has been the same, however I feel that the Auto Pilot does improve significantly over time. When Auto Pilot was first introduced to my AP2, it felt unsafe as the car seemed to pump the brakes rather suddenly, and bounce back and forth between the lines... After about 2 weeks or so, it became much more stable so something definitely improved in the background. My experience so far with 8.1 and freeway speeds is similar as my previous experience. Give it some miles, and I am sure it will stabilize and give you the confidence you are hoping for.

Thanks for the 'mouse click' tip - mine works fine now.
No sign of cameras working here either - perfectly fine before the update now there are no lines shown on the screen and no message to say that the cameras are calibrating. Pretty basic really to give a message indicating what's happening!
Totally agree with you, maybe a clock that is counting down while calibration is taking place, something. Just to wonder what is happening and when calibration will be complete is to much leaving us hanging.

Thanks for the help. Not sure what to think of this Easter egg, lol. I guess it could be fun if you are waiting for someone and need something to pass the time. The question is where does it go if you hit publish and can you see others stuff?

It goes to Tesla(and, at least sometimes Elon Musk, since he posted two of them on Twitter) and not yet, but he said on Twitter they're planning that for the future.