Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peninsula Clean Energy CCE (San Mateo County)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some details from the positive enrollment signup page:

You hereby acknowledge and agree that you are positively enrolling your electricity account(s) in Peninsula Clean Energy and, in doing so, affirmatively waive your right to the four (4) enrollment notices prescribed by law. You further acknowledge and agree that if you opt out of Peninsula Clean Energy and return to PG&E electric generation service any time after you are positively enrolled, your electricity account(s) will be subject to PG&E’s transitional rates based on energy market prices and other terms and conditions of service.
I'm not sure what those "transitional rates" would look like. Anyone know what that means?

There's also an interesting bit about solar:

Residents with solar panels can sell their excess energy back to Peninsula Clean Energy. PCE can offer property owners fair market rates for their excess energy production. Its likely that PCEs buy-back rates may be slightly more advantageous to the solar panel owner than PG&Es rates have been in the past. Existing CCEs have thus far been able to offer better Net Metering rates for customers who generate surplus electricity. Such customers within San Mateo County will be automatically enrolled into Peninsula Clean Energy’s Net Metering Program.

However I've also read that CCA/CCE programs may run into regulatory headwinds. Is that FUD, or a real risk?

I tried early enrollment a last month, but the website didn't seem to allow me. So I called and they said I was already in the first group and can't early-enroll.

I'm on PG&E E1 and EV-B, and I noticed my EV-B rate is about 1-cent more (11-ish vs 10-ish cents/kWh) than I had remembered it, but I can't find the old schedule. The current schedule on their website says it is effective August 1.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I tried early enrollment a last month, but the website didn't seem to allow me. So I called and they said I was already in the first group and can't early-enroll.

I'm on PG&E E1 and EV-B, and I noticed my EV-B rate is about 1-cent more (11-ish vs 10-ish cents/kWh) than I had remembered it, but I can't find the old schedule. The current schedule on their website says it is effective August 1.
Historical rates are available on the PG&E site below in XLS format - Residential followed by Residential TOU back 15 years:
Pacific Gas & Electric - Tariffs

Looks like early signup aka "positive enrollment" is now available for this CCA/CCE. Anyone in San Mateo County thinking about it?

The savings don't look to be huge. One potentially significant drawback is that positive enrollment waives some of the usual flexibility to go back to PG&E. Main benefit is reduced carbon footprint.

Peninsula Clean Energy – Peninsula Clean Energy is a community choice energy (CCE) program, also known sometimes as community choice aggregation.

Hi,
In Belmont. Received snail mail letter that we're automatically enrolled in Penin Clean Energy ECOplus (at least 50% renewable) as of Oct 2016. So we'll see. They also have eco100 which is 100% renewable. They say the switch will 'cost less than what you pay for PG&E.' I'll gander at the Oct bill and report back. Thanks.

Just received a notice today that effective in April we will be autoenrolled in Peninsula Clean Energy's EcoPlus program unless we opt out and go back to PG&E. Website claims a 5% discount over PG&E including all PG&E charges, and it looks like they track PG&E's plans (including EV-A). Apparently cleaner, less carbon, cheaper and no PG&E.

I haven't looked into it yet but on the surface it seems like a no-brainer. Anyone have experience with this yet -- any hidden charges or other negatives to consider?

Last edited:
I opted in. Cleaner power, cheaper rates, and really favorable treatment if you have excess solar generation.

Your power bill is split into 4 main components: (1) Generation; (2) Transmission; (3) Distribution; and (4) other taxes/regulatory charges. Keep in mind, a CCA only takes care of the generation part (1) of your bill and you remain a PG&E customer (a CCA doesn't have trucks and crews to fix damaged equipment from storms for example). All CCAs are pricing their generation at PG&E -5% or so and usually with a cleaner portfolio, but you should look into GHG or renewable standards to be sure. You keep your existing electric schedule, e.g., if you're on EV-A, you stay on EV-A and your TOU windows remain the same.

You can opt in as an early adopter or just get phased in.

CCAs have a bright future in the regulatory world and by this summer, around 1 million customers in California will be on CCAs. By 2030, 80% of all customers will be on CCAs. The CPUC is very much in favor of this open marketplace and PG&E also supports customer choice (they are not fighting this, but rather, enabling it).

Negatives: Switching lock-ins and your true-up balance if you have solar with PG&E must be timed properly to take maximum advantage. PCE and PG&E can help you with that.

- K

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Joelc and EinSV
I am in San Mateo County, in the hills near 280 and 92 freeways. Just got the CCE letter in the mail today. I am not clear on how enrolling in it would effect my NEM agreement with PG&E. I have 9.8kW of solar panels and a Powerwall.

Please let us know what you find out: I'm curious too. PCE seems to mirror all the active PG&E tariffs, but it might be unpleasant if changing to PCE required moving from a grandfathered version of NEM to the current NEM2 terms. I don't know either way: I'm speculating.

Tangentially, the most counties seem to be on the CCE/CCA/CCEA bandwagon now. Mercury News published Community choice energy coming to Silicon Valley in April – The Mercury News about the Santa Clara SVCE program. The article mentions similar efforts in Alameda and Contra Costa counties, plus established programs in Marin and Sonoma. Oddly the author missed PCE in San Mateo County.

I am in San Mateo County, in the hills near 280 and 92 freeways. Just got the CCE letter in the mail today. I am not clear on how enrolling in it would effect my NEM agreement with PG&E. I have 9.8kW of solar panels and a Powerwall.

I encourage you to call PCE and ask whether they've changed policies. I am on PG&E NEM 1.0 and I was grandfathered in by PCE to follow the same tariff with one amazing exception ... for any energy produced in excess of my consumption, PCE would pay retail plus $0.01 ... this is like what they have in Germany with a feed-in tariff. PG&E pays $0.03-0.04 per kWh which is about 1/3rd of retail price at off-peak. So basically, PCE wins this hands down.

- K

• Informative
Looks like there are some rate shenanigans going on, as reported at Peninsula Clean Energy

Notice of Interim Rate Adjustments
On January 1, 2017, PG&E increased their electric generation rates by about 1.5 to 3%. Also on January 1, 2017, PG&E increased the Power Charge Indifference Adjustment (PCIA) by 26%. PCIA is a fee paid to PG&E by Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE) customers. When PCE set our rates in 2016, rates were set so that PCE’s rates are 5% below PG&E’s generation rate when the PCIA charge is included.

In response to PG&E’s rate increase and PCIA increase, at our January Board meeting, Peninsula Clean Energy voted to reduce rates to maintain PCE’s 5% discount below PG&E’s electric generation rates. PCE’s rate reduction goes into effect on March 15, 2017. Although PCE’s rates are significantly below PG&E’s rates for electric generation, there will be an interim period until March 15 when the PCE rate plus the increased PCIA rate will result in a rate slightly higher than PG&E’s rate. This will result in a premium of around one dollar per month for a typical residential customer during this interim period. Starting March 15, PCE rates will again be 5% below PG&E’s generation rate, including the additional PCIA charge.

Please note that PCE’s power supply contains 50% renewable energy, while PG&E’s power supply contains 30% renewable energy.​

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
It looks like I'm now on PCE. I don't have details yet, because the PDF link on Pacific Gas and Electric Company responds with "PDF version is not yet available. Please check back later". However my latest billing summary shows separate line items for "electric" and "3rd party electric". Apparently I saved about 5% in the first month, as predicted by PCE. I'm on EV-A, no solar (yet).

From what I can see, PG&E has work to do to integrate with PCE. The PG&E usage details page now tell me that I'm "on a unique rate plan" and won't show me anything more detailed than the monthly view. Compare rate plans no longer works either. Both of those tools are outsourced to opower, a third party.

It looks like I'm now on PCE. I don't have details yet, because the PDF link on Pacific Gas and Electric Company responds with "PDF version is not yet available. Please check back later". However my latest billing summary shows separate line items for "electric" and "3rd party electric". Apparently I saved about 5% in the first month, as predicted by PCE. I'm on EV-A, no solar (yet).

From what I can see, PG&E has work to do to integrate with PCE. The PG&E usage details page now tell me that I'm "on a unique rate plan" and won't show me anything more detailed than the monthly view. Compare rate plans no longer works either. Both of those tools are outsourced to opower, a third party.
opower still doesn't show me my NEM2 EV rate plan cost-per-use per day. What kind of stupid tool is it if it can't calculate what it is supposed to calculate? Also, it doesn't show electricity I sent to PG&E visually; it just shows up as 0 in the bar graph, and you have to hover to get conflicting text.

opower still doesn't show me my NEM2 EV rate plan cost-per-use per day. What kind of stupid tool is it if it can't calculate what it is supposed to calculate? Also, it doesn't show electricity I sent to PG&E visually; it just shows up as 0 in the bar graph, and you have to hover to get conflicting text.

I urge you to file a complaint with the PUC so they know that you care about this. You might also consider getting involved with The Utility Reform Network

I finally have a statement from PG&E with the entire month on PCE. The short story is that they've figured things very closely, and the Indifference Charge takes care of any savings from PCE's lower rates. Read on if you're interested in the gory details, or if doing your taxes hasn't supplied enough boredom and confusion to satisfy your needs.

Overall the statement is even more confusing than usual, at least to me. On page 1 it looks easy enough:
  • PG&E delivery charges: 150
  • PCE generation charges: 37
  • total: 187
I'm reporting whole dollars because I'm lazy. I'm also skipping any year-on-year comparison: they aren't comparable, because I wasn't on the EV rate and I wasn't charging at home.

On page 2 PG&E breaks down that 150 into transmission, distribution, and all those oddball fees. One of these is an indifference charge (PCIA) of 37, matching up neatly with the PCE generation charges. Apparently PG&E gets a 50% margin on generation whether they charge me for generation or not.

On page 3 they break down that same 150 by peak, partial peak, and off-peak. This is complicated by a rate change, so the first day of the cycle was broken out at one rate schedule and the rest at another. The math looks much different here, but the result is the same. It's calculated as if I were not a PCE customer, using ordinary EV rates. Then they apply a generation credit, about 75. Then they add on that indifference charge.

This math seems especially strange to me because the TOU rates are quoted as if peak rates also affect transmission and distribution charges. In fact I think they don't, and the generation credit is honest — but the presentation doesn't help. It's probably best to simply ignore this page.

On the next page PCE steps in and provides a breakdown of generation fees by peak, part, and off-peak. I also see two rates here, but the change seems to be mid-cycle rather than the first day of the cycle. As I understand it PCE adjusted their rates down to match an increase by PG&E, so that PCE customers wouldn't end up paying more. This was mentioned in the February CEO Report. Anyway the total is 37, same as page 1. As usual my consumption is about 80% off-peak, and I figure at least 50% of that is probably for EV charging.

The bottom line is that I don't seem to be saving by switching to PCE. However they tell me I'm getting 50% renewable power. Also the situation may be different for solar customers: PCE offers a penny over retail for solar kWh, along with monthly rollover and annual true-up.

I finally have a statement from PG&E with the entire month on PCE. The short story is that they've figured things very closely, and the Indifference Charge takes care of any savings from PCE's lower rates. Read on if you're interested in the gory details, or if doing your taxes hasn't supplied enough boredom and confusion to satisfy your needs.

Overall the statement is even more confusing than usual, at least to me. On page 1 it looks easy enough:
  • PG&E delivery charges: 150
  • PCE generation charges: 37
  • total: 187
I'm reporting whole dollars because I'm lazy. I'm also skipping any year-on-year comparison: they aren't comparable, because I wasn't on the EV rate and I wasn't charging at home.

On page 2 PG&E breaks down that 150 into transmission, distribution, and all those oddball fees. One of these is an indifference charge (PCIA) of 37, matching up neatly with the PCE generation charges. Apparently PG&E gets a 50% margin on generation whether they charge me for generation or not.

On page 3 they break down that same 150 by peak, partial peak, and off-peak. This is complicated by a rate change, so the first day of the cycle was broken out at one rate schedule and the rest at another. The math looks much different here, but the result is the same. It's calculated as if I were not a PCE customer, using ordinary EV rates. Then they apply a generation credit, about 75. Then they add on that indifference charge.

This math seems especially strange to me because the TOU rates are quoted as if peak rates also affect transmission and distribution charges. In fact I think they don't, and the generation credit is honest — but the presentation doesn't help. It's probably best to simply ignore this page.

On the next page PCE steps in and provides a breakdown of generation fees by peak, part, and off-peak. I also see two rates here, but the change seems to be mid-cycle rather than the first day of the cycle. As I understand it PCE adjusted their rates down to match an increase by PG&E, so that PCE customers wouldn't end up paying more. This was mentioned in the February CEO Report. Anyway the total is 37, same as page 1. As usual my consumption is about 80% off-peak, and I figure at least 50% of that is probably for EV charging.

The bottom line is that I don't seem to be saving by switching to PCE. However they tell me I'm getting 50% renewable power. Also the situation may be different for solar customers: PCE offers a penny over retail for solar kWh, along with monthly rollover and annual true-up.

I have a house in Sonoma and we went Sonoma Clean Power last year just to see how things go. I'm about to switch back to PG&E. Costs are higher, the bills make no sense and it looks like we have lost the ability to use the PG&E online power usage app due to the fact that the provider is SCP. Since my primary interests are price and ease of understanding pricing, local clean power alternatives look like a loser to me.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The PG&E EV rate tariff does have TOU components in the Distribution charge as you can see below. The CCA's replace only the Generation in the table below and PG&E adds that lovely Indifference Charge you mentioned.

EV-A Unbundled Tariff Table 170301.jpg

• Informative