Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pennsylvania: Five-store Tesla compromise reached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The pro-Tesla legislation in Pennsylvania that helped spark a confrontation between dealers and other automakers earlier this month is now halfway to passage -- but with important new limits in place on the number of stores Tesla Motors Inc. would be allowed to own and operate in the state.
The Pennsylvania Senate unanimously passed the bill Wednesday after it was amended to cap the number of factory-owned stores allowed at five. The bill, which is worded to apply only to electric vehicle maker Tesla, now moves to the Pennsylvania House for consideration.

Five-store Tesla compromise reached in Pennsylvania

I don't think anything that limits the number of stores Tesla can have can be described as "pro-Tesla" legislation, especially in a state that hadn't previously banned direct sales. If Apple was limited to opening 5 stores in the state it wouldn't be considered "pro-Apple" legislation.

Pennsylvania Automotive Association was sniffing around to chrischristie Tesla.

The lower Assembly bill would clarify Tesla's right to open stores. Then the large OEMs got in and lobbied against that bill.

4 stores in greater Philadelphia and one in Pittsburgh should suffice for the foreseeable future.

Again, once direct auto sales become normalized the Dealer's assertion that Tesla stores treat customers poorly,unfairly and worse then franchised dealers will be proven laughably false.

If you notice from past statements, Elon has said that when Gen III is released they may have to consider a franchised delivery model since the volume is too high to handle internally.

Legislation that restricts the number of Tesla owned stores is a win since it essentially codifies their ability to sell in that state without any future threat of interruption. In my book, that's a win.

If you notice from past statements, Elon has said that when Gen III is released they may have to consider a franchised delivery model since the volume is too high to handle internally.

Legislation that restricts the number of Tesla owned stores is a win since it essentially codifies their ability to sell in that state without any future threat of interruption. In my book, that's a win.

Actually, I thought that all he's said is thst they'd consider it because then hey'd have the market to support it. To be honest though, I think he'll consider it and then say "No way." The only blocker is getting people test drives. Just get established and word of mouth and ass will take care of a lot of the rest. They could do a deal with a rental company and do long drives that way.

They just said 'maybe' about dealership model in the future just to satisfy legislatures during these negotiations but don't think they mean it. There is no reason why Tesla can't scale up as well to sell Gen III. Remember, their sales footprint is probably 1/20th a normal dealership. They fit in an area the size of the old smaller Apple Stores in the mall with 4 parking spaces or so in the parking deck.

Consider does not mean doing.

500K or 5M is not too high a volume to handle internally.

It is like saying Amazon can't handle the volume of 2000 brick and mortar stores.

In the internet age of course you can.

And the ICE OEMs know it that is why they are fighting back.

Trying to restrict Tesla market share not with competition but with regulation and legislation.

Actually...get established and word of mouth and ass will take care of a lot of the rest...

I absolutely cannot make head or tail out of what you wrote. And, while the pun was very much intended, I'm really serious. Just what word did you intend to write??????:confused::confused:

On edit: I could have written "...am in the dark..." but this is a family forum, I've been told....

Last edited: