Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pennsylvania Inspection & Emissions Testing Requirement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone recommend auto service in Central Pennsylvania (Harrisburg) that is familiar with Tesla vehicles?

I just took delivery yesterday for a Model Y. Due to some ancient PA state laws (see Tesla Can't Offer Pennsylvania Residents State Inspection Because They Don't Have Emissions Testing Equipment) I need to get inspection and emissions testing within 10 days. Tesla service centers in PA do not do inspection. I'm concerned the garage won't have a clue about lifting my vehicle or causing damage.

You might want to buy these lift pucks for tesla cars And bring them if you think they will be lifting the car. I also keep print outs from tesla manual about how to lift car and offer it to service centers when I visit. I live in Los Angeles and so far the places I went to already had the pucks but over here if you spit odds are it’ll land on a tesla 🤣. Ok that is an exaggeration but there are a ton here.

Can anyone recommend auto service in Central Pennsylvania (Harrisburg) that is familiar with Tesla vehicles?

I just took delivery yesterday for a Model Y. Due to some ancient PA state laws (see Tesla Can't Offer Pennsylvania Residents State Inspection Because They Don't Have Emissions Testing Equipment) I need to get inspection and emissions testing within 10 days. Tesla service centers in PA do not do inspection. I'm concerned the garage won't have a clue about lifting my vehicle or causing damage.

I'm not in your area, so can't make a recommendation - I'm in Chester County, PA. But you won't need the emissions test, just the inspection.

Closing the loop on my ask so others may benefit: After calling around, ironically, Faulkner Nissan (Harrisburg) is well qualified to do this. I called to tell them I had sold my 2012 Murano and to stop notifying me for service and then asked for experience on Teslas. They service a lot for their Leaf EVs, but they also do a lot of non-warranty and inspections for Teslas. They have the required lift and one of their lead techs drives a MY himself.

• Helpful
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Due to some ancient PA state laws (see Tesla Can't Offer Pennsylvania Residents State Inspection Because They Don't Have Emissions Testing Equipment) I need to get inspection and emissions testing within 10 days.
The article you linked is filled to the brim with misinformation. It was written by a journalist who is unqualified to comment on the subject and, worse yet, made no effort to validate or verify the bad information.

Here are the facts:
The PA state safety and state emissions testing programs are two separate programs with separate licensing and tool requirements. A state safety inspection facility is NOT required to have OBD emissions testing capabilities. Tesla service centers do NOT need to have OBD emissions testing capabilities to perform state safety inspections. Tesla CHOOSES not to perform state safety inspections.

You do not need to have emissions testing done. All EVs and diesel vehicles are exempt from emissions testing in PA. These vehicles will display only one inspection sticker on the windshield; the safety inspection sticker.

Your vehicle registration card (whenever you finally receive it) should state "emissions inspection exempt/not required" on it somewhere.

I just got my MY, and I schedule the inspection with Bobby Rahal Honda (Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg) I have read in another forum that someone got their done there.