TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pennsylvania Supercharger - In Progress

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by airj1012, Mar 31, 2014.

1. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

We received an updated Coming Soon map from the Hawthorne Design Center a few days ago and it shows a PA location that is currently under construction, or very close to it. We know the location of the one in west PA (Cranberry) but not sure of the one in eastern PA. Is that Allentown? Does anyone know where this location is or could possibly provide some updates/pictures? Thanks.

image.jpg

2. Walker34

Walker34 Member

By the look of that map, I would say it is near Hazelton, which is near the Rte. 81 & 80 intersection. It looks a little to far to the North and West to be Allentown. Wilkes Barre/Scranton are also close to that location.

3. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

As is often the case with these Hawthorne maps, the glass shifts the image in a misleading way. I wouldn't put too much stock in where the dots "appear" to be. Cranberry looks like Youngstown,OH; Triadelphia, WV looks like Cambridge, OH; Albany looks like Utica, NY. I bet this is still Allentown.

4. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Agreed. Wonder if we have any members in those cities.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm not too far from Allentown. Sadly, that also means it won't be of much use to me (unless I just want to erase the last 20 miles of my journey heh). That said, it's close enough to scout once we get some firm news.

6. James Anders

James Anders Member

We could really use a SC in SE PA, say somewhere near the nexus of Route 1, I-95 and the PA Turnpike. Near the Neshaminy Mall or thereabouts. Perfect location.

Google Maps

7. cataber

cataber Member

That sounds good to me...selfishly... :)

Even better would be around Oxford Valley Mall...right where Route 1 and I-95 intersect.

8. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I do not believe the new PA location is Allentown, PA. I reached out to government officials there and they confirmed that they have not been talking to Tesla about Superchargers. Heard back from both the Communications Manager and Chief Planner. Any other thoughts?

9. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I'll ask the Somerset crew foreman when I see him tomorrow. They didn't win that bid, but he is from the Hamburg, PA area, and may know more location specifics.

10. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Awesome, thanks for the help Jake.

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

12. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I wonder what their source is. I would think the two people I heard from would know. Honestly I think the chart is a bit dated.

13. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

So the lead is that this next location may be in Whitehall, PA and not Allentown, although they're very close to each other. We think they may be going in at Lehigh Valley Mall - 250 Lehigh Valley Mall, Whitehall, PA 18052. Does anyone live in that area to possible scope it out?

14. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Confirmed this morning, it is Lehigh Valley Mall.

15. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Awesome work JakeP. Anyone in the area to take a look around?

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I can take a trip up that way in the next few days (was actually just there 2 days ago). The location isn't right off 78, but it's about a 5 minute drive. They used to have chargers there in front of the Apple store, and they mysteriously disappeared one day, so this would be cool for a quick top off. Not ideal for my travels, but still welcomed.

17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

But if you take 22 thought the area instead of 78, it's right off the highway..probably quicker than diverging off 78 to the chargers and back on again..but it's been a while since I've been on that stretch of 22:

mall.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any ideas when it might go live? Hopefully by June!

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

ah maps. so clear, yet so misleading. Taking 22 from NJ means turning off 78 and going north for a while on what is basically local streets. Even when it turns back into a "highway", it's this thin 2-lane horror filled with folks that like to hold onto the left lane for dear life. Throw construction on top of the general congestion of the area, and yeah... it's not ideal in the least. I'd go 78 and then cut down 309.

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Not sure I get the 309 part... the "2" on the map is where the mall is... 309 doesn't seem close at all to that area.

20. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Word is that ground hasn't broken yet due to last minute permit changes.