Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People asking me about my car (2018 all over again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
I have a "first production" LR RWD Model 3 built during the early stages of production hell. Being one of the first owners of the car, naturally there was a lot of interest when it appeared on the road. I saw people taking photos from within their cars while driving. People would be standing around the car in the parking lot as I returned from the errand, and inevitably, they would ask me a bunch of questions, ranging from what car it was to specific experiences of going electric.

It's been 4 years since those early days and a lot of that buzz eventually died down. But last few months, I've noticed an appreciable uptick in walk-up conversations again. Even though it's pretty common to spot a 3 or Y, it's as if people are actually SEEING the car and thinking more about the possibility of transitioning to EVs. The questions I get haven't gotten any more nuanced; there's still quite a bit of innocent ignorance about EVs. By far the most common questions are:

1) what's the range of the car?
2) how much range loss is there during the winter?
3) how long does it take to charge?

Most people assume my car is new, and they are taken aback when they hear I've owned it for 4 years, as if they didn't expect the car to last that long, or that I wouldn't be able to tolerate the "hardships" of living with an EV. I don't know if my experience with this resurgence of interest is a one-off or not. Anyone else notice more people inquiring about the EV experience?

Seems like in my area, nobody even asks: they just go buy one. I took a ~20 mile trip to the mall last week and I was never more than 2 car lengths from another Tesla. Mostly 3s and Ys, saw one S. Parked in the lot and walked inside: probably walked past about 40 cars and saw three Teslas parked there. Makes me feel good that Tesla is doing so well but at the same time, my car kinda feels "cookie cutter", like nothing special anymore. ;)

Mike

Seems like in my area, nobody even asks: they just go buy one. I took a ~20 mile trip to the mall last week and I was never more than 2 car lengths from another Tesla. Mostly 3s and Ys, saw one S. Parked in the lot and walked inside: probably walked past about 40 cars and saw three Teslas parked there. Makes me feel good that Tesla is doing so well but at the same time, my car kinda feels "cookie cutter", like nothing special anymore. ;)

Mike

Interesting. I know Florida is one of the popular Tesla states, so makes sense the car sells itself there. In New Hampshire, Teslas are still kinda sparse (a lot of people still wave at each other when they see a Tesla pass by).

Living here in the Bay Area, I don't think there's anyone left who hasn't seen a Tesla up close. My assumption for the increased interest in Tesla, and EVs in general, has to do with the recent price-gouging run up in gas prices. Gasbuddy.com says stations around my area for regular (87 octane) range from $5.49 at ARCO to $5.85 (Chevron).

edit: Recently a friend from my old workplace contacted me via LinkedIn (I'm retired) and asked a few questions about how my car was holding up (2018 LR RWD). Answered everything he wanted to know and even provided information on stuff he didn't directly ask about (home charging vs. Supercharging, differences in battery chemistry - he's a PhD in Physics, taking long trips in the Tesla, and more). A week later he messages me and says he picked up a used 2021 Dual Motor Model Y; perfect for his three kids and school/sports lifestyle. Since I've known him he's has a 'Vette but he told me "how much fun it is to drive an electric car, such as Tesla". Many times when the group would go out for lunch he rode in my car. I provided some examples on how the car accelerates off the line, even with four other people in the car. That must have made a good impression.

Last edited:
Some friends of ours do a lot of long range traveling to visit grandkids. Recently they sat down with us to ask us about BEVs. They had narrowed their choice to MYLR and a Kia EV6. The EV6 was in stock locally. I spent most of the time demoing ABRP and explaining the difference between charging a BEV and fueling an ICE car. I really didn't give a hard sell on the Tesla.

They really wanted a Tesla but their present BMW had over 125K miles on it. In the end, the charging network available to the Kia scared them off. They ordered the Tesla and leased a Subaru.

Reactions: Graham J and Thp3
I'm in Maine, no additional interest lately. One guy asked a question when I was charging at Sunday River ski resort, but that's because he was charging a Pacifica PHEV a few stalls over. I think he was feeling self-conscious because he was in a Tesla stall, and ran the long cord over to his Pacifica. I still wave at other Teslas, since they're so rare.

In Alaska When I had my S there were only a few around Anchorage. When I got my 3 fall 2018 a ton of people would look and ask questions. Just in the last 1-2 years 3’s and Y’s have majorly increased and now everywhere. It’s rare I’m at an intersection and done see one.

I do have a lot of friends and acquaintances asking about the ownership experience lately. Where I live in CA teslas are everywhere, so definitely doesn't feel like mine gets much attention on the road or in parking lots. Time for a loud garish wrap I guess... ;)

I did have a query about my car last month but it came from another Model 3 owner. I was charging at my local CHAdeMO spot when a guy asked how/why I was using the ChargePoint DCFC instead of the L2 spots. Told him that I was basically trying to recoup the cost of the CHAdeMO adapter by coming here ($0.19kWh) instead of going to the Supercharger ($0.24kWh) a couple of miles away.

When I am asked about my Tesla I extol the virtues of the car! But then I have to note the limited support infrastructure and poor customer service. I then tell them EVs, including the Tesla, are not ready for mainstream buyers, and that they should not buy one unless they consider themselves to be an “early adopter“ and understand what that means.

Breaks may heart to tell them that. :(

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and house9
Really? I live in Johns Creek and I see them everywhere. Ate out last night and entered parking lot behind two M3s and another one pulled in while we were inside.

The way I read the post you quoted from @TomT , was: (text in brackets my understanding of the context)
=======================================

"They are virtually invisible now in Georgia [because there are so many no one notices them anymore]. I very rarely get any questions these days.....

=======================================

I could be wrong of course, but thats the context I read it in.

Lot of questions still when we go out to garage sales. I do need to change my car’s business card from having my now worthless referral number on it to a pointer to my website (AntiAntiEV.com ). The antiEV crowd is alive and well on Facebook so I use various pages on that site as a quick way of dealing with misinformation 😈.

It never died off with the Model X.
People still flip out when they see the doors open or even ask to see them open. I think they are more curious about the doors than the EV though. But I often get the same questions. They are often are surprised I tow with it. I’ll miss that part of the passer by interest as I just traded it for an S.
Just curious but why would TSLA stock split have any bearing on your timeline to get an Austin-built MY?
He’s assuming there will be a jump in price after split again.