Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

people sleeping while driving.. this is why we can't have nice things

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are people pulling this off? Even with my hands on the wheel, the Autopilot is constantly telling me to apply a firm tug every once in a while to prove that I'm still "in control". Also, I've seen the AP make questionable jerky steering inputs that would wake my ass up if I were dozing off...

People like to mess with drivers and make it *look* like they are sleeping (ok sometimes they are till the car yells at them) but it's nowhere near the danger it once was... Unless you defeat the nag.. but thats dumb on an entirely different level.

If this the video being discussed, it doesn't look faked. That guy has really nodded off.

VIDEO: Tesla Driver Asleep Behind Wheel on Mass. Turnpike
Yes, but like all these videos they are less then a minute because the car will eventually stop. I love the "we don't know how this ended" dramatic flare lol

This falls in the category of “the many things people have been doing in cars ever since the Model T but are now newsworthy because they happen in a Tesla.”

If someone is going to drive so exhausted that they are going to fall asleep, it is SO MUCH BETTER that they are in a Tesla. The odds they will kill someone are much reduced.
I think this is really my point. People do dumb stuff in cars all the time. Eating, sleeping, texting, reading. I heard someone openly admit on the radio that they would read the newspaper or a book on their commute, that just boggles my mind. Since people are always going to do stupid things (and sometimes things like driving whilst tired not so much out of choice but misguided neccesity - I am sure many of us have driven fighting back sleep at one time or another), it seems far more preferable they do this with something like autopilot helping out than without it.

Reactions: Puddles and NoMoGas
(I saw someone read a large bible driving 80mpg in their Honda civic on the freeway)
I guess he got a message from up above that he was going to die by driving like that, so better read the bible. :D
Yes, I think we all have seen some pretty crazy things. As for that video, I don't assume it was real. It could always be a joke or faked. People post stuff like that to get clicks and "fake news money". Yes, looks like he is sleeping and the person taking it seems legit, but I can fake that too. I wonder why didn't he report it to 911.

As a side note, I am 70 years old, driven over 800,000 miles and I never fell asleep at the wheel or even close.

Last edited:
This falls in the category of “the many things people have been doing in cars ever since the Model T but are now newsworthy because they happen in a Tesla.”
ha ha, yes, agree. :) But according to my Dad, it's been happening even long before the Model T. He used to fall asleep piloting a horse and buggy from home into town. Better than the model X, the horse always arrived by making every turn, and never ran into anything. :D The best auto-pilot I know of :rolleyes:

"Did You Know? An estimated 1 in 25 adult drivers (aged 18 years or older) report having fallen asleep while driving in the previous 30 days. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving was responsible for 72,000 crashes, 44,000 injuries, and 800 deaths in 2013." -- cdc.gov

My take: The fact that Tesla drivers sometimes fall asleep while driving should surprise no one. Owning a Tesla does not make one immune to becoming tired. Tesla AP, however, no doubt significantly reduces the number of accidents due to drowsy driving.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I just saw a video on this and it seems pretty obvious that these are fake. Unless you use one of those weights or your hand is perfectly resting on the wheel it'll start beeping at you about a minute after you let go and completely stop the car in less than 2. No way to drive a significant distance like that.

I wonder why actual news outlets are reporting this as real? It fooled me, as evidenced by my previous comments, but now I realize it’s not even possible and that these videos are fake.

I just saw a video on this and it seems pretty obvious that these are fake. Unless you use one of those weights or your hand is perfectly resting on the wheel it'll start beeping at you about a minute after you let go and completely stop the car in less than 2. No way to drive a significant distance like that.

I wonder why actual news outlets are reporting this as real? It fooled me, as evidenced by my previous comments, but now I realize it’s not even possible and that these videos are fake.
Totally agree with you....it's not possible....unless a modification has been done....but I highly doubt it