TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

People "stealing" my charge

Discussion in 'NorCal - Reno Tesla Owners (formerly SacArea)' started by Robj, Nov 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Robj

Robj New Member

I've unfortunately experienced now twice a certain car (I have the license plate number) that has taken the charge cord off my adapter at a local park-n-ride (in El Dorado Hills) and connected it to his (or her...) car. They've done it to some other cars as well. It doesn't seem that there are any laws against this. Anyone have any ideas?

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes! Goto Evannex.com and check this out:
    CAPTUREPRO CHARGING LOCK FOR TESLA MODEL S. Sorry, can't seem to capture the link.

This will keep them from pulling your cord.

That is so damn tacky.

• Like x 1
  3. Robj

Robj New Member

Thank you very much!! I just ordered one. $48 is probably more than the amount of electricity I'd lose to this guy, but its well worth it for the principle. Some people, geez! Thanks again for the link.

4. Robj

Robj New Member

Thank you very much!! I just ordered one. $48 is probably more than the amount of electricity I'd lose to this guy, but its well worth it for the principle. Some people, geez! Thanks again for the link.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I know it sounds way too reactionary. But the idea of some stronger unplugging my car is a total invasion to me. I guess if I were desperate for a charge and the other car appeared to be fully charged, I would do it if I had no other option. But that situation is more on the ICEing side of things than somebody simply unplugging your car while charging.

6. jjen@EDH

I park and sometime charge at downtown city hall garage (its a zoo out here on the roof, just so you are warned in case you ever come this way) and have seen people using a simple padlock going through the pin hole on the release trigger on the J1772 handle so it is secured. Probably more hassle than it's worth, but a cheap alternative nonetheless.

On the flip side, i would hate to risk more damage to the car by enraging whomever trying to unplug the charger but couldn't given one's questionable character to begin with.

Maybe just play it save and charge at home...

• Like x 1
  7. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Too bad it has come to this. Considering the EVAnnex lock.