Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People's Experience with 100 kWH Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Current 85D owner.

Extremely happy with the 85's durability (still charges to 265 RM after 2.5 years and 36K miles).

However, our road trip use cases (300 miles to Mammoth ... in winter cold or with summer bikes) and Palm Springs (280-mile RT day trips) make a 100D enticing.

In 2016, thought about the small upgrade to 90D. However, got the sense that 90 packs were troubled from the start (sub-90 actual capacity, early degradation).

Have heard nothing but good, though, thus far about the 100. 102 actual (vs. 82-ish on my 85). No gripes about real-world RM or degradation.

I know it's still early in the game for such worries to appear, but I'd appreciate hearing more about people's 100D experiences.

Thanks!

...people's 100D experiences...

Range is king if you can afford it!

I had 2012 Model S 85 and now 2017 Model X 100D and I love the extra range for flexibility of deciding where to charge.

I now want even more range than current 100 kWh pack.

It's a nice 620 mile range for 2020 Gen2 Roadster but that's years away and I am very hesitant to downsize to a less cargo-capability smaller size car.

• Informative
Reactions: GreenUnicorn
There's a big difference between an S P85 and an S 100D.

Our S P85 shows around 225-227 rated range at 90% while our S 100D shows around 296-298 at 90%.

And, because the P85 doesn't have the dual motors, the actual range of the P85 is much lower than the rated range for road trips, while the 100D's actual range is much closer to the rated range - so that makes the difference even larger between our P85 and our 100D.

For us, it's been a big improvement on road trips. Our typical trip is around 170 miles - and we now hit the destination with about 100 miles of range left. With our P85, we had to stop at a supercharger or risk getting the range at destination close to 0...

For our other typical road trip - around 280 miles - with the P85 we had to stop at two superchargers - now we skip the first one and stop only once.

Based on our experience with the 100D, I'm not sure we'd be willing to spend more $$$ to get a larger battery pack. The 100D can drive about 4 hours at top highway speeds with an 80-90% charge (charging at the highest speeds at superchargers) - and that's about long enough for us to drive without wanting to take a short break (bathroom, snack/meal, stretching...).

Reactions: boonedocks
Current 85D owner.

Extremely happy with the 85's durability (still charges to 265 RM after 2.5 years and 36K miles).

However, our road trip use cases (300 miles to Mammoth ... in winter cold or with summer bikes) and Palm Springs (280-mile RT day trips) make a 100D enticing.

In 2016, thought about the small upgrade to 90D. However, got the sense that 90 packs were troubled from the start (sub-90 actual capacity, early degradation).

Have heard nothing but good, though, thus far about the 100. 102 actual (vs. 82-ish on my 85). No gripes about real-world RM or degradation.

I know it's still early in the game for such worries to appear, but I'd appreciate hearing more about people's 100D experiences.

Thanks!

What you're experiencing is in line. I've seen a zap of about 35% in extra consumption in freezing temps.

Still in first month with my wife's 2017 S 100D. Definitely see benefits to 100 KWh battery.

Road trips:

750+ miles: Chicago - Philadelphia. Three brief SuperCharger stops, 75 mph, no range anxiety. Started at 100%.

400 miles each way: Philadelphia - Wellfleet on Cape Cod, then return. 72 - 76 mph off the Cape, four adults, full load of baggage, cabin heat at 66-68. One 30-minute SuperCharger stop at Milford, CT each way.

Local: Charge to 60%. 3 - 5 days between recharges. My wife uses the car for local trips. She can set cabin temperature as she pleases, use seat heater at "bake" level without concern. This was one of my objectives - the car should be a tool that does its job smoothly without demanding attention or compromises. Could probably go longer between recharges, but I can't stop myself when range drops below about 70 miles.

I found if I stay longer at stops on trip, it means I have big reserve at each stop.i have 85. I have seen 250 miles.

You might know this but just an FYI for anyone going on a road trip in a Tesla the car charges faster when you arrive with a lower state of charge. I usually shoot to arrive with 20%-30% SOC on the in car trip planner this allows me to not worry about limiting my speed, as well and enough buffer for wind heat or cold. When I arrive with this low SOC the car will charge quickly as possible to get me on the road again.

Interesting, the consumption on our S 100D is lower than our S P85. With about 13K miles, our average (all driving, including several 400-600 mile round trip road trips) is 305.

When first leaving home each day, the consumption for the trip always starts high - and then after a few miles drops down closer to our average. I suspect the software is including energy usage while the car is charging, which causes the numbers to be high for short trips.

Responses appreciated.

What speaks loudest is what's gone unsaid: Gripes.

TMC is full of complaints about 90s. Rapid degradation. Balancing issues. Slow Supercharging. Etc.

However, the 100 notably seems to hit a sweet spot on range (beyond which bladder range matters more than battery range), but also seems to be faring well on degradation and charging issues.

Is this the consensus?

85D pack has been rock solid for me (270 RM --> 265 in 2.5 years and 36K miles) but am thinking seriously about moving to a 100D.

Responses appreciated.

What speaks loudest is what's gone unsaid: Gripes.

TMC is full of complaints about 90s. Rapid degradation. Balancing issues. Slow Supercharging. Etc.

However, the 100 notably seems to hit a sweet spot on range (beyond which bladder range matters more than battery range), but also seems to be faring well on degradation and charging issues.

Is this the consensus?

85D pack has been rock solid for me (270 RM --> 265 in 2.5 years and 36K miles) but am thinking seriously about moving to a 100D.

We currently have an S90D and an S100D. I don't have any complaints about the 90 which I've had exactly one year as of today. I think I've only lost 1 or 2 miles of range in the past year. My 100% range is 294 miles and 90% is 263 or 264 miles. The 100D does save some time on road trips. Heading east from Colorado on a recent trip, I think it only saved about 6 minutes but heading back west, it saved 20 to 25 minutes. I really wanted to hold out for the 100D but at the time, there was the threat that free supercharging would be ending and no 100 would have free supercharging. When the 100D was purchased, it was without free supercharging but it was added retroactively when Tesla brought back free supercharging. However, it doesn't transfer when the car is sold but with the 90D, free supercharging will transfer to the new owner.

We currently have an S90D and an S100D. I don't have any complaints about the 90 which I've had exactly one year as of today. I think I've only lost 1 or 2 miles of range in the past year. My 100% range is 294 miles and 90% is 263 or 264 miles. The 100D does save some time on road trips. Heading east from Colorado on a recent trip, I think it only saved about 6 minutes but heading back west, it saved 20 to 25 minutes. I really wanted to hold out for the 100D but at the time, there was the threat that free supercharging would be ending and no 100 would have free supercharging. When the 100D was purchased, it was without free supercharging but it was added retroactively when Tesla brought back free supercharging. However, it doesn't transfer when the car is sold but with the 90D, free supercharging will transfer to the new owner.

Happy with the 100D? No early range fall-offs or other gripes?

Happy with the 100D? No early range fall-offs or other gripes?
I will double-check with the primary driver but I haven't heard of any complaints. :)

The 100D actually has a thousand miles more on it than the 90D since I have a shorter commute. The 90D has a lifetime average of 302 Wh/mile over 9600 miles and the 100D is 308 Wh/mile over ~11000 miles.

Last edited: