TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Percentage "made in the USA" for the Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by NicholasJB, Jul 27, 2016.

1. NicholasJB

NicholasJB Member

With some of the recent buzz surrounding the Model S and how it's supposed to have a higher percentage of American made parts than any other car once the Gigafactory goes live, I started wondering about the Roadster. Unfortunately, any sort of number has been incredibly difficult to find. I know we're going to come in substantially lower than the Model S, but I'm curious how much; is it more fair to consider this an American supercar, or a British one?

I know it's hard to quantify, especially with parts of such varying size and cost, and there's a difference between parts manufactured and components assembled, but does anyone have a link to any sort of number?

2. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

The window sticker says 18% US content, 43% UK, 22% Thailand, 16% Japan, 7% France and 1% South Korea. So the car would be considered British.

• Funny x 1
  3. NicholasJB

NicholasJB Member

Wow, much lower than I thought. Thanks.

4. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I was under the impression that later cars had a higher USA content.

5. Owner

Owner Active Member

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I think that was when they were producing the batteries in Thailand? Later switch to USA for the 2.x cars?