TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Percentage Question

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by donv, Jul 10, 2015.

1. donv

donv Member

If I show available range as "Rated" (in the US, anyway), I believe this to show, based on a certain energy usage rate, how much energy is in the battery.

Now, if I switch to percentage, what is the percentage showing? Is it showing percentage of original capacity, or percentage of available capacity?

In other words, if I have a 5% degradation in the capacity of my battery, will it charge to 100%, or just 95%?

Presumably the rated range would show the degradation (or else I would never know it's happening), but is it reflected in percentage as well?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The percentage is the percentage of your battery capacity, so it will always charge to 100%.

3. donv

donv Member

So, in other words, if you only looked at percentage you would never know about battery degradation?

4. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Correct.

5. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

It's just an indicator like a fuel gauge, F = Full (100%) E = Empty (0%).

If you drive fast on the highway, hard acceleration starts or lots of hills to climb you get less miles of range for a Full 'tank' than easy starts and slower city speeds, just like any car behaves.

If you want to know actual capacity, then you would need to make a calibrated measurement following a specific test procedure.

If you wanted to determine degradation then you would make this calibrated measurement periodically and plot the capacity versus time or versus number of charge-discharge cycles.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes I think that is correct. It is a percentage of how much rated range you have at that moment out of the maximum possible range you would have if the battery was charged to 100% at that moment.
    It cannot be used to measure battery degradation. If you want to estimate degradation, compare a current maximum range on a full charge to what it was at some earlier point in time.