Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perelli PZ4 or Michelin PS4S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an M3P and starting to think about tire replacement

And, Yes, I know tires are talked about a lot on this forum and I've tried to read most of the posts.
I have narrowed my choices down to two, Perelli P Zero (PZ4) or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) [235-35-R20]

The original tires on my car are the Perelli PZ4 235-35-R20. But wonder if the Michelin's are about the same, better, worse?

Have any of you tried both tires and if so, which do you prefer, The Perelli or the Michelins and why?

I love a tire that grabs as one takes off in an M3P (Got to get to the next stop sign the fastest). Of the two which do you consider the quietest?

I have an M3P and starting to think about tire replacement
I have narrowed my choices down to two, Perelli P Zero (PZ4) or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) [235-35-R20]
The original tires on my car are the Perelli PZ4 235-35-R20. But wonder if the Michelin's are about the same, better, worse?
Have any of you tried both tires and if so, which do you prefer, The Perelli or the Michelins and why?

PZ4's are a step above PS4S's:

Price wise, PS4S's ($364.99) are ~$40 cheaper/per then PZ4's ($404.95).

For what it's worth, PS5 Michelins are coming out, just not available for sale in the US as of yet.

I love a tire that grabs as one takes off in an M3P (Got to get to the next stop sign the fastest). Of the two which do you consider the quietest?

TR test suggests Pirelli's are quieter.

PS4s arguably best street tire for the street, not the track but for the street as in daily driving not racing, not tracking, not auto crossing, not in snow

pirellis are quieter.... The PS4 is imho worse than the Primacy 4 as a street tire. Primacy 4 lasts twice as long, is less noisy, rides slightly softer and has only slightly less traction and slight increased braking distance compared to the PS4. I think its just the better tire on most cars....

The Pirellis are inferior to both the PS4 and Primacy 4.

Also you will not get 50k miles out of PS4s. Theyll be down to 3mm at around 20k miles after which they need to be replaced.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
pirellis are quieter.... The PS4 is imho worse than the Primacy 4 as a street tire. Primacy 4 lasts twice as long, is less noisy, rides slightly softer and has only slightly less traction and slight increased braking distance compared to the PS4. I think its just the better tire on most cars....

The Pirellis are inferior to both the PS4 and Primacy 4.

Also you will not get 50k miles out of PS4s. Theyll be down to 3mm at around 20k miles after which they need to be replaced.
I’m at 38k miles on set of PS4s with 4-5 mm left <shrug>

Reactions: Stanwood Steve
I’m at 38k miles on set of PS4s with 4-5 mm left <shrug>

i wonder if this is because you live in the USA and you often dive with summer tires in winter? The cold weather will harden the rubber and extend the lifespan compared to i.e. driving them in summer. and you might drive with a light foot....
50k kms with PS4s and 4-5mm left sounds impossible. dont they come brand new with 5mm or 5.5mm?

PZ4's are a step above PS4S's:

Price wise, PS4S's ($364.99) are ~$40 cheaper/per then PZ4's ($404.95).

For what it's worth, PS5 Michelins are coming out, just not available for sale in the US as of yet.

TR test suggests Pirelli's are quieter.
Might want to re-read that test article.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
(Max Performance Summer, 245/40R18 (97Y))
What We Liked: It's the category superstar on the dry track and good on the road.
What We'd Improve: The competition has caught up in the wet.
Conclusion: It's still the Max Performance Summer benchmark.

Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)
(Max Performance Summer, 245/40R18 (97Y))
What We Liked: It's refined on the road and great to drive on the wet track.
What We'd Improve: The steering could be a bit more responsive.
Conclusion: This is a great option for a high-performance vehicle.

Reactions: ODWms
I stopped by a Michelin dealer today and ask about the PS4S 245-35-R20 vs my car's OEM 235-35-R20

I was told the PS4S 245 tire is a tad wider and taller than a 235 which will stick better from 0-60. Is this correct??

Since the 245 is taller, can the car's computer make an adjustment for the tire's height so odometer mileage will be correct??

Since the 245 is taller, does this mean the tire will have more side wall which should produce a little softer ride??

So many variables at play.

@JimShaw First, since your M3P came with the PZ4 it also probably came with the Uberturbine wheels, which are 20x9". The 235 tire width is visibly stretched on 9" wide wheels. I don't like that pairing and I don't know why Tesla did it. For that reason alone I would lean towards 245/35R20 or even 255/35R20. (Note, from what I've read some tires don't quite fit in 255/34R20, but many do, it is a close fit. 245/35R20 should be safe with any tire.)

However, since you seem to highly value quietness, be aware that you won't find any Tesla spec foam lined tires in 245/35R20 or in 255/35R20. You will need to stay with 235s for that on a Model 3.

Also, I've read that the Tesla spec 235/35R20 PS4S has a wider tread width than most 235s, plus the whole tire construction appears wider than the OE PZ4. Some people think the Tesla spec 235/35R20 PS4S is better than the regular 245/35R20 PS4S. I have no experience with either, I'm just passing on something I've read here.

Yes 245/35 should have slightly more sidewall than 235/35 with all the implications you described. The difference is pretty small though, I doubt you or I would notice even back-to-back with the same tire model, but in theory 245/35 gives a tiny benefit in ride quality vs 235/35, plus the extra 10mm of treat width, which can benefit grip. I'm all for those benefits, I use 245/45R18 on my 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P (standard Model 3 18" size is 235/45R18). And yes in theory it will make your speedometer and odometer read slightly slower. I think that's a good thing too since our speedos read slightly fast from the factory, and well if the odometer counts a tiny bit slower, that's fine for you right? ;)

To my knowledge Tesla has never stated whether the car can/will adjust its speedometer or odometer readings for different tire sizes. It does have a wheel+tire selector for all of the official Tesla wheels pair with their factory tire fitments, which could be used to adjust the speedometer and/or odometer calibration, but the owner's manual does not say that with any clarity.

As for PZ4 vs PS4S, you probably read my posts already, but I felt the PZ4 that came on my 2021 M3P were disappointing in grip for a 280 TW summer tire, and I didn't like how much they squealed in hard driving either. I didn't hate the PZ4, but they certainly didn't wow me and I didn't consider them when picking 245/45R18 summer tires for my 18x8.5" wheels. For that it came down to PS4S and Potenza Sport, and PS4S were on national backorder then, so Potenza Sport it was and they turned out to be a major upgrade over the PZ4. Much better grip dry and wet, and no more squealing. I haven't used the PS4S, but I would certainly pick it over the PZ4. My priorities might be different than yours though!

usually these days you can have large arguments about which component is better or worse and that usually ends up with someone presenting computer data, studies, tests etc. The beauty is that with the pirellis vs michelins this isnt needed. Everyone who has driven both knows the michelins are far superior.

Reactions: 1100MCM
So many variables at play.

@JimShaw First, since your M3P came with the PZ4 it also probably came with the Uberturbine wheels, which are 20x9". The 235 tire width is visibly stretched on 9" wide wheels. I don't like that pairing and I don't know why Tesla did it. For that reason alone I would lean towards 245/35R20 or even 255/35R20. (Note, from what I've read some tires don't quite fit in 255/34R20, but many do, it is a close fit. 245/35R20 should be safe with any tire.)

However, since you seem to highly value quietness, be aware that you won't find any Tesla spec foam lined tires in 245/35R20 or in 255/35R20. You will need to stay with 235s for that on a Model 3.

Also, I've read that the Tesla spec 235/35R20 PS4S has a wider tread width than most 235s, plus the whole tire construction appears wider than the OE PZ4. Some people think the Tesla spec 235/35R20 PS4S is better than the regular 245/35R20 PS4S. I have no experience with either, I'm just passing on something I've read here.

Yes 245/35 should have slightly more sidewall than 235/35 with all the implications you described. The difference is pretty small though, I doubt you or I would notice even back-to-back with the same tire model, but in theory 245/35 gives a tiny benefit in ride quality vs 235/35, plus the extra 10mm of treat width, which can benefit grip. I'm all for those benefits, I use 245/45R18 on my 18x8.5" wheels on my M3P (standard Model 3 18" size is 235/45R18). And yes in theory it will make your speedometer and odometer read slightly slower. I think that's a good thing too since our speedos read slightly fast from the factory, and well if the odometer counts a tiny bit slower, that's fine for you right? ;)

To my knowledge Tesla has never stated whether the car can/will adjust its speedometer or odometer readings for different tire sizes. It does have a wheel+tire selector for all of the official Tesla wheels pair with their factory tire fitments, which could be used to adjust the speedometer and/or odometer calibration, but the owner's manual does not say that with any clarity.

As for PZ4 vs PS4S, you probably read my posts already, but I felt the PZ4 that came on my 2021 M3P were disappointing in grip for a 280 TW summer tire, and I didn't like how much they squealed in hard driving either. I didn't hate the PZ4, but they certainly didn't wow me and I didn't consider them when picking 245/45R18 summer tires for my 18x8.5" wheels. For that it came down to PS4S and Potenza Sport, and PS4S were on national backorder then, so Potenza Sport it was and they turned out to be a major upgrade over the PZ4. Much better grip dry and wet, and no more squealing. I haven't used the PS4S, but I would certainly pick it over the PZ4. My priorities might be different than yours though!

Thanks for a great read

I will re-read your post a few more time before my decision. I think I will move over to Michelins but I will I move from 235 to 245, that's what I will now be considering

Once again, thanks

But then you seem to like the Potenza Sport. I'm going to take another look