Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perf gets higher top speed, RWD more range, but no love for AWD???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But yeah back on topic... how about some acceleration love for the NonP AWD? Just asking for an extra 0.5s at the low end...

It's getting the same 5% bump RWD and P are.

They didn't move the 0-60 though because they want to cheat as much as possible to make the P look better... (same reason the P time includes rollout and the AWD does not- hence the fake couple tenths improvement from months ago).

The RWD they DID move the 0-60, because they want to encourage more folks on the fence with SR+ and MR to consider bumping up to LR...and it's no threat to higher trim sales.

Reactions: Perry and Matt L
People desire for something that is more in between the current 3D and the P3D. Tesla could appease this if they put a price tag on a 10/15/20% bump for the 3D. IF it's possible through a software or hardware upgrade, they could stand to make some extra money that's for sure.

I think RWD was more efficient than AWD and Tesla didn't want AWD to look bad so they lowered RWD to 310miles.

My RWD was at 185 wh/m at 6k miles. My AWD is at 233wh/m after 6k miles. Both did the same commute and same route. Now I dont care about efficiency in my RWD and it's coming in at 205wh/m at 16k miles. Still more efficient than babying my AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I think RWD was more efficient than AWD and Tesla didn't want AWD to look bad so they lowered RWD to 310miles.

My RWD was at 185 wh/m at 6k miles. My AWD is at 233wh/m after 6k miles. Both did the same commute and same route. Now I dont care about efficiency in my RWD and it's coming in at 205wh/m at 16k miles. Still more efficient than babying my AWD.
Yeah I do think if they made the difference in efficiency clearer I probably would have opted for the RWD. Most RWD easily get 315-320 miles while AWD struggles to get to 310.

Yesterday Tesla had a Model 3 sales force of over a 150,000 satisfied owners.

Today they cut there sales force by ten of thousands.:(

I call it a reverse referral program.
I think it’s actually called Internet Forum Reality Distortion Syndrome. The vast majority of Tesla Model 3 purchasers just drive and enjoy the car they bought. They aren’t tracking price changes that have no impact on them whatsoever. The diehards are on Internet forums. They don’t represent most people.

I think it’s actually called Internet Forum Reality Distortion Syndrome. The vast majority of Tesla Model 3 purchasers just drive and enjoy the car they bought. They aren’t tracking price changes that have no impact on them whatsoever. The diehards are on Internet forums. They don’t represent most people.

I agree that forums can give a distorted perspective of owners mindsets.

Question: What do you think are the chances that there are no Tesla short sellers on these forums posing as Tesla owners?

Hint: The chances are zero. They can't help themselves. Some have been banned but some are wily enough to blend in and remain. And they can be quite prolific at posting.

I do feel that Tesla still needs to provide a little more love to the AWD non-P crowd. I've been caught in the perfect storm of all the changes Tesla has made to their line, and came out on the short end every time. I'm not going to bonkers over it because I absolutely love every bit of my car, and would do it all over again, but I'm not gonna lie, yesterdays news stings quite a bit. Happy that there will be more owners and glad I was able to participate to help pave the way to get Tesla where they are at today. Curious to see how this all plays out now that the announcements have been made and everything is underway.

I agree that forums can give a distorted perspective of owners mindsets.

Question: What do you think are the chances that there are no Tesla short sellers on these forums posing as Tesla owners?

Hint: The chances are zero. They can't help themselves. Some have been banned but some are wily enough to blend in and remain. And they can be quite prolific at posting.
Man, if only we had a hero would could hunt down those dastardly infiltrators.

giphy.gif

I stood in line at 3 am first person there...and now all the prices drop! I actually waited for the $35k model but pulled the trigger for $59k. I love my car don't get me wrong. Tesla has to do what it has to do I get it.
For the Model Y I might just wait it out and not stand in line or do any monetary deposits. I guess good for those fo

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Man, if only we had a hero would could hunt down those dastardly infiltrators.

I know you were probably joking but I would never consider violence due to freedom of speech issues. In a free society, it's not illegal to deceive people (pretend you are a Tesla owner when you're not) as long as it's not done with the intent to defraud. Granted, it's pushing legal boundaries in many cases but good luck proving it or getting a conviction. It's something people need to be aware of if you don't want to be as naive as Little Miss Muffet.

Unfortunately, Internet communication, with its complete lack of non-verbal clues, is tailor-made for those who want to deceive and mislead. It's disgusting but its something that has to be dealt with unless you want to go to a communist style of censorship.

People trying to get handouts already?

You agreed to a price and PAID it, in return you got a car. In the moment of purchase, you made a decision deeming it a fair price for this product.

Suck it up and enjoy your shiny new car.
This true - in a vacuum. Sadly it's not only what some paid, its also the value of the car. If your making payments this is especially rough.

So you think the drop from 3.3 to 3.2 was just for measurement consistency and didn't actually get a tenth faster?
All I can tell you is that none of the P3s have gotten any faster. When measured independently they perform the same as they did 6+ months ago when the 0-60 was advertised as 3.5sec. If anything they've gotten slightly slower as it seems that the software upgrades in the last 3 months have been more aggressive in limiting acceleration (limiting dots come quicker and go away slower).

All I can tell you is that none of the P3s have gotten any faster. When measured independently they perform the same as they did 6+ months ago when the 0-60 was advertised as 3.5sec. If anything they've gotten slightly slower as it seems that the software upgrades in the last 3 months have been more aggressive in limiting acceleration (limiting dots come quicker and go away slower).

Folks, the 3.5-3.3s change was a marketing change only. The 3.5s time is measured with rollout included, while the 3.3s time is with it excluded. The industry standard is the approach that excludes rollout. This is used by most car magazines and all the specs you see from other advertisers use this approach. Tesla confirmed this to electrek.co when they reached out about it.

The latest change from advertised 3.3s to 3.2s actually represents a power increase. Tesla in their blog post stated that all variants will get about a 5% peak power boost.
$35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now

We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

I believe I still owe more (or very close to) on my Model 3 AWD car loan than what you can currently buy a brand new one with the same configuration for, after about 6 months of payments. That's really super. Thanks, Tesla!

Not a chance in hell I'll buy another Tesla - well, not a new one at least. Definitely looking forward to the competition rising over the next few years.

• Informative
Reactions: V__2
With the going away of the Tax Credits, Tesla has no choice but to continously lower their offering prices, while increasing the appeal of their cars with improved configurations.

Lots of competitors are coming fresh to market, and those buyers will get the full tax credits. Tesla must compete.

Reactions: Common_Loon