Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perf Y Spoiler coming off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoiler is an exterior trim part, and if it is coming off, it should be under bumper to bumper warranty. Two things that TESLA needs to get rid of from the performance model are the spoiler and 21" wheels with summer tires and lower the price by $2k-$3k.

Reactions: Kelr316
Check out RPM Tesla. I just ordered their matte Razzo spoiler and will be giving up on the lip spoiler. It just doesn’t want to stay down. The Razzo and Veinto go all the across the hatch. They seem to have fixed the inherent flaw from Tesla. The $400 price point doesn’t hurt either. I’m not affiliated with them
AC02999F-638E-4BE4-8043-3987033E774B.png

Going in next Friday for my 4th spoiler. My last replacement started to lift on one side, and I was too late in sticking additional trim tape on the edges before it pulled up completely. If the new replacement starts to lift again, I'll just stick some tape on the corners at this point.

This is pathetic. I’m about to get my 3rd put on. And I’m sure I’ll have to reattach it myself a week later using proper 3m and silicone black adhesive. The body on this car is built like a kids toy.

It works. I attached mine over a year and half ago. It still looks perfect. I posted what I used in another thread about this for the model 3 but your right. I used better 3m tape, adhesion promoter and, black silicone.

Reactions: MGsurf
When I took delivery of my MYP, the rear spoiler was lifting on both ends (yes, at delivery). I scheduled service with the local Tesla Service Center, which they came out and inspected my issues (there were more than just the spoiler). I was told to hold off on the spoiler as Tesla has a new OEM model which is suppose to hug the trunk better.

I waited about a week and RPM announced their new spoilers, went with the Jupiter V-Style, love it. But hey, a Tesla Service Manager did tell me there should be some new OEM spoilers coming out soon :)

Reactions: MGsurf
I was told to hold off on the spoiler as Tesla has a new OEM model which is suppose to hug the trunk better.... But hey, a Tesla Service Manager did tell me there should be some new OEM spoilers coming out soon :)

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath waiting for this. I had the same lifting edge issue with the OEM spoiler on my 2016 Model S. Unfortunately, just a drawback of the lip spoiler design.

When I took delivery of my MYP, the rear spoiler was lifting on both ends (yes, at delivery). I scheduled service with the local Tesla Service Center, which they came out and inspected my issues (there were more than just the spoiler). I was told to hold off on the spoiler as Tesla has a new OEM model which is suppose to hug the trunk better.

I waited about a week and RPM announced their new spoilers, went with the Jupiter V-Style, love it. But hey, a Tesla Service Manager did tell me there should be some new OEM spoilers coming out soon :)
Does your RPM one lift? For that matter, are there any aftermarket spoiler that DO NOT lift?

My only issue with the Jupiter V style is that it looks very big. Can you share some photos?

Last edited:
Does your RPM one lift? For that matter, are there any aftermarket spoiler that DO NOT lift?

My only issue with the Jupiter V style is that it looks very big. Can you share some photos?
Definitely does not lift... at all... it hugs the trunk perfectly.

It took me a few days after RPM came out with the spoilers to decide on which one, I definitely thought the Jupiter V was a bit too big. Though, weirdly, it feels lighter than the stock, I know it's not, but somehow it's still damn close. I should have weighed them when I had them both off. I plan on washing the car tomorrow, I'll take some pics for ya after it gets a bath.

If you do go after market, I would suggest a few things:
  1. Use Goo Gone to remove the left-over adhesive from the stock bumper.
  2. Clean the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.
  3. Follow the instructions; RPM has you tape down the spoiler for 48 hours (to allow the adhesive to cure). Though, I used blue painters tape as to not harm the cars paint, I made sure it kept sufficient force on the spoiler.

Edit: Only picture I have makes it kind of hard to see, so, like I said, I'll take some more tomorrow.
img_7237-jpg.687524

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath waiting for this. I had the same lifting edge issue with the OEM spoiler on my 2016 Model S. Unfortunately, just a drawback of the lip spoiler design.
Honestly, the OEM spoiler wouldn't be horrible with the proper adhesive and alignment. Before I put on my aftermarket I took the time to clean all the crap adhesive off the OEM, then fit it, to my surprise it fitted fine...

I would imagine with the proper 3M spray adhesive, rather than tape, or really a better/thinner tape adhesive with proper cure time and it would be fine. Also, from what I could gather, at least on my OEM, the adhesive tape was haphazardly put on, it's more foam than adhesive as well.

Reactions: MGsurf and ucsdsig
Honestly, the OEM spoiler wouldn't be horrible with the proper adhesive and alignment. Before I put on my aftermarket I took the time to clean all the crap adhesive off the OEM, then fit it, to my surprise it fitted fine...

I would imagine with the proper 3M spray adhesive, rather than tape, or really a better/thinner tape adhesive with proper cure time and it would be fine. Also, from what I could gather, at least on my OEM, the adhesive tape was haphazardly put on, it's more foam than adhesive as well.
I agree! I measured the space between the spoiler and the outer edge and they were not the same on both sides... off like 1/4" I think the tolerance is so good that if you're the guy putting this spoiler on is not dead center, I'd imagine it's going to be a bad fit so the adhesive can't do it's job. I saw on Youtube of Model 3 having 2 pins to guide the spoiler in place... that's what is needed here. It sucks that this is my first day with the MYP. But still love it. I sent for the fix. smh.

Definitely does not lift... at all... it hugs the trunk perfectly.

It took me a few days after RPM came out with the spoilers to decide on which one, I definitely thought the Jupiter V was a bit too big. Though, weirdly, it feels lighter than the stock, I know it's not, but somehow it's still damn close. I should have weighed them when I had them both off. I plan on washing the car tomorrow, I'll take some pics for ya after it gets a bath.

If you do go after market, I would suggest a few things:
  1. Use Goo Gone to remove the left-over adhesive from the stock bumper.
  2. Clean the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.
  3. Follow the instructions; RPM has you tape down the spoiler for 48 hours (to allow the adhesive to cure). Though, I used blue painters tape as to not harm the cars paint, I made sure it kept sufficient force on the spoiler.

Edit: Only picture I have makes it kind of hard to see, so, like I said, I'll take some more tomorrow.
img_7237-jpg.687524
I have been waiting for the matte Razzo sine mid June. Debated between the two. I also was concerned this would be too big, but I do like the look.