Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perfect Charging Routine

What should the charging routine be?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there ever been any official word from tesla as to what the perfect Charging routine should be? I probably use 25% of battery per day for my commute to work. I've read various different ideas online including;

-Run it down to 30% then charge to 80%
-Run it down to 50% then charge to 80%
-always charge it to 80% at night, even if it's at 60% for example

So the question is... What do I do??

Has there ever been any official word from tesla as to what the perfect Charging routine should be? I probably use 25% of battery per day for my commute to work. I've read various different ideas online including;

Actually yes, the manual that comes with the car specifically tells you there is NO BENEFIT to "running the car down to charge it back up".

Anyone who tells you that is telling you something that tesla specifically says does not help. Page 122 in the manual that I have on my hard drive.....

===========================================
About the Battery
Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated
battery systems in the world. The most
important way to preserve the Battery is to
LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when
you are not using it.

This is particularly
important if you are not planning to drive
Model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in,
Model 3 wakes up when needed to
automatically maintain a charge level that
maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.
Note: When left idle and unplugged, your
vehicle periodically uses energy from the
Battery for system tests and recharging the
12V battery when necessary.

There is no advantage to waiting until the
Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact,
the Battery performs best when charged
regularly.

===========================

Your poll also does not have the option that shows the least loss in the "rated range" number that everyone seems to lose their everloving mind over, which is "charge to 90% and forget about it".

NOTE: The current tesla manual has this same text on page 145, instead of 122 if someone is fact checking.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak and Lachie

The perfect charging routine is one that fits your needs best. Tesla designed the battery so that you don't have to worry about it, so don't.

90% can have some advantages as it allows the batteries to balance, going to 100% every few months can help the car reset the maximum.

At this point, the estimates are that the car is going to last 300,000 miles, so why worry about it?

There is no real problems around battery degradation in the Model 3. But there's plenty of people freaked out as software releases change the numbers, hence they aren't real.

Just enjoy the car and drive it as you need.

90% or bust always.

A happy Tesla is a charging Tesla...

By all means run it down sometimes, but generally it won't mind being 'topped up'. I charge mine to 90%, usually from 60 something on a daily basis.

If you use that much per day it makes sense to charge daily. But If you only have a 5 mile commute (10 mile round trip) it’s not worth heating battery to add just 10 miles every day. So I wait a few days and might pick a day that I drive a little further and have a warmer battery to start charging. I might charge more on say a Thursday night for traveling Friday night for the weekend. In summer I won’t care about battery heating needed to charge.

Tesla’s suggestion’s ignore short commute in cold climate. So no, a happy Tesla is not a plugged in Tesla. Depends on your needs and how flexible they might be.

On the Model 3 I also saw a significant difference in regen charging to 80% instead of 90%. If you drive a lot or want that maximum range at any moment then go for 90%. But if you don’t drive a lot or care about having that extra 10% then 80% or even 70% is fine. So I was more efficient keeping a lower SOC.

A lower SOC will charge faster on a SuperCharger too.

Lithium prefers their “average” SOC to be much lower than 90%. Some folks claim an average of even 50% is ideal. The impact may be very minimal for the lifetime you actually own the car, but it is healthier to bring your average SOC down. If you keep the average SOC absurdly low the BMS May get confused/miscalibrated and not report range (fullness) accurately. But that doesn’t mean the battery isn’t happier.

Also there is a big difference in charging to 90% when you get home and letting it sit 10 hours every night at 90% versus charging to 90% just before you leave for work. That will lower your average SOC quite a but.

Last edited:
I live in a condo community and have opted to not install a charger at my designated parking space due to high cost. I have been charging passively while at work (2-3 hrs a day, 2-3 days a week). Then utilizing superchargers if I know Ill be doing a longer drive and need to get closer to full.

Depends on my mood. Lately, I've been going a few days between charging (up to 80-85%). When I charge, it's done at work (free). Work is <10miles round trip so I only use ~3%/day. Haven't used my Wall Connector in about a week.

I like keeping it above 70% not because of battery conservation/maintenance; it's cause I prefer how the car performs with a higher SOC. :D

My charging routine is 80% limit daily. My charge time is set for 1:30am, so if I use some during the day, unless I plan on going a longer distance later, I'll keep it plugged it and it will top off at 80% again at 1:30am.

Now if I am going to a car event or planning on having some fun, then I will do 90%.