TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Perfect Ranger Vehicle

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by vfx, Oct 18, 2011.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#1 vfx, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    With the Model S going countrywide I was thinking about the Rangers crisscrossing the states and what image they will present of the company.

What does your local Ranger drive? Here in CA they have a Dodge van that also tows a trailer with cars and a genny in it for EVents.

It was said that EVerything that a Ranger might need would fit in a briefcase but of course they may find based on initial contact by phone or email they might need to bring parts (entire drivetrain?) that might be much bigge. Add in a floor jack, mats, compressor, cables, full toolbox etc, etc.

So assuming an EV is ideal for image, what car/truck would work best?

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#2 vfx, Oct 18, 2011
    First thought is the Model S itself. They wil be self producing them and could make a stripped down version with shelves and drawers in the back and something like the compressor in the Frunk.

TeslaModelS_SS09.jpg [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#3 vfx, Oct 18, 2011
    On the large end Tesla is doing powertrain work for FedEx. Maybe a trade for a fleet of Ranger vehicles.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1369&d=1296733878.jpg

fedex-modec-route-66-630-1269962063.jpg

Bet you could fit a Roadster loner car in there too!

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#4 vfx, Oct 18, 2011
    The Ford Transit Connect probably has a same or less interior room as the Modle S but has a more utilitarian shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The Model X may be what they are waiting for.

The Van seen here would seem the perfect solution except the timing.

Tesla-platform-sharing.jpg

6. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I agree that the Model S would be a fantastic Ranger vehicle. With the proper paint/signage, it would make a fantastic advertisement opportunity as well! Think of the Geek Squad VW, but also really play up the electric aspect, range, seating, etc. People would see that silent Ranger car zipping around town and get real curious, real fast!

7. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Elephant in the room: range limitation. Especially early on, when there is little/no DC charging infrastructure.

Model S or another EV could make up part/most of the Ranger fleet in some areas, but it can't get the job done exclusively.

8. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

They could convert beta's or RC cars!

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#10 vfx, Oct 18, 2011
    Yes there would be that with some zones. So if the travel to onsite repair range is only a 150 miles from the Tesla repair shop (and back) there are many way that could be addressed. Tesla could install a ring of six to 12 charge points at say, 200 miles from the Tesla shop. That would extend their repair range to a 1000 mile diameter around the shop. Win for them and the EV community.

Remember they might also charge at the home or business of the customer while working and that could double the range to 300.

Also Tesla has the ability to "customize" as no one else (save ACP) can do. They could modify the Ranger vehicle for long-range travel (more batteries, a trailer) in certain markets.

10. GSP

GSP Member

Great Idea!

GSP

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

They probably should make routine visits to their DC fast charge infrastructure anyways just to clean them and make sure they are all operating.

12. richkae

richkae VIN587

If you spaced them at 200 mile intervals, it would take about 80 locations to cover the entire continental US.
    At $50,000 each thats only $4 million dollars.

13. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

The Federal government has a $30K credit for businesses who implement charging infrastructure. Maybe Tesla can utilize that and build an even bigger network (i.e. 100-150 miles apart) for use by their Rangers and those that own Teslas. :wink:

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I believe they have to be placed into service before the end of this year though.
    Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center: Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit
    Maybe they'll finalize their design and install a few of them but I don't think the charger is done.

15. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Ah, thanks for the link and that looks to be the case. It would be nice if the law got extended to at least the end of next year but I don't see that happening.

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yeah. I can't see that happening with the current political climate. A one year extension would be great.

17. SteveTheTech

SteveTheTech Member

#18 SteveTheTech, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
    I was thinking about this recently while sitting at a light next to an electric Frito Lay truck. Which sounds wild when it takes off.

[​IMG]

In the future I see them establishing a larger facility in the suburbs, more akin to a high line auto dealer blended with an Apple store as Teslas flood the market. Being able to fetch your vehicle and perform many of the smaller service tasks is something they will probably keep and since the service needs are lower than average vehicles the amount of time that should be spent at the dealer would be fairly low comparatively. I've been in high line auto service for over a decade now and we rarely see driveability issues anymore what we see things like wheel bearings and everything around the driveline. Updates on the operating systems should be OTA but the size of the facility should be able to allow future growth. Since most of their botiques are located in the middle of the city. DCs is the first car dealer within the city limits...which might have a downside.

I know I would jump ship to be a Model S tech in a second- even in a boutique with an hour and a half commute. :)