Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perforated seats durability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too was at the Meet the Model X tour in Costa Mesa last week and at least 4 of the Model X's had torn seats. The static model in the showroom with the white pleather seats was torn in two places and three other cars with the beige and black leather seats were torn. I pointed this out to the employees there and they tried to sluff it off as these cars are "driven hard with lots of people getting in and out of them." I did say I've never seen such issues with the Model S's that were used at drive events. I do think Tesla will quietly change the material used in the seats to be more durable. I just hope they don't try to blame customers if they start to see lots of torn seats show up at service centers and claim that this is NOT a covered warranty item.

@DRComputer this is the first I'm reading on the leather seats being damaged at Meet Model X events. It has all be exclusively related to the synthetic seats and their softer texture being punctured. I hope you are right about Tesla quietly improving the material to bolster their durability.

There are both cloth and non-perforated seats available, but neither is in production yet as they are only available on vehicles without the Premium Upgrades package. Aside from the early Signature cars, Tesla has used non-perforated leather in Model S so it would not be subject to the durability challenges that perforated leather brings. It is possible they made the material too thin or spaced the perforations too closely together. I don't expect them to come out and say the material is flawed, but hope it will get addressed in a running change and be covered under warranty for those with early seats that get damaged.

This thread is seriously making me consider spending the $500 to change to black leather. Creases are more hidden, and the leather appears (anecdotally, of course) to be more durable than the synthetic.

Seriously, please don't change your order based on some spurious and anecdotal information here.

Keep your Ultra White--it's the only rational and educated choice in light of the environmental and ethical consequences of choosing leather:

Tanneries in Bangladesh Are Spewing Toxic Waste and Making Workers Sick | VICE News

How Leather Is Slowly Killing the People and Places That Make It

http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts

Stella McCartney Sheds Light on Leather's Dark Truth

Seriously, please don't change your order based on some spurious and anecdotal information here.

Keep your Ultra White--it's the only rational and educated choice in light of the environmental and ethical consequences of choosing leather

Yes, the data's anecdotal. No, it's not spurious - there are photos and confirming reports. Since very few have been delivered, I think concern is warranted.

I won't get into the leather discussion except to say that you've stated that the synthetic Tesla uses is the rational and educated choice. I've not seen any data looking at the production side of Tesla's material to compare to leather production, so it's hard to make any conclusion there.

I'll tell you what I tell donation solicitors outside of universities and grocery stores - I'll donate to your personal cause if you donate an equal amount to mine. I haven't changed my order yet, but I'm going to pay close attention and do my best to ensure I don't drive a vehicle with a shredded interior.

Yes, the data's anecdotal. No, it's not spurious - there are photos and confirming reports. Since very few have been delivered, I think concern is warranted.

I won't get into the leather discussion except to say that you've stated that the synthetic Tesla uses is the rational and educated choice. I've not seen any data looking at the production side of Tesla's material to compare to leather production, so it's hard to make any conclusion there.

I'll tell you what I tell donation solicitors outside of universities and grocery stores - I'll donate to your personal cause if you donate an equal amount to mine. I haven't changed my order yet, but I'm going to pay close attention and do my best to ensure I don't drive a vehicle with a shredded interior.

" . . . donate to your personal cause?"

Hmm.

Some people buy Teslas because they're pretty.

Some because they're fast.

We've purchased four thus far because Tesla MUST succeed is we're to transition to a reduced-GHG planet, or at least make an effort.

Bill Gates is quoting source docs advising 51% of GHG are coming from animal agriculture (about half way down the page):

Bill Gates: Food Is Ripe for Innovation

One would think that we'd all be a part of "a cause" to mitigate a planetary-scale risk, but I guess not.

And this, like many things, I find quite surprising and illogical.

To quote again:

Eldridge Cleaver quotes
3star.gif
ThumbsUp.gif
ThumbsDwn.gif

“What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem”

Tesla went out on a limb to create a non-animal skin/low-GHG interior for the Model X, and we'll likely support that move by acting on our reservation when they figure out how to build them.

We ask that you too, please, choose and lead wisely.

Thank you.

Last edited:
...we'll likely support that move by acting on our reservation when they figure out how to build them...
For those who can't wait and choose Ultra White, consider seat protectors if you have concern. Type "car seat protector" at Amazon for many choices and suggestions.

Hopefully, an improved Ultra White material will be featured in the display Model X at Tesla Stores. If it holds up with many buyers sitting in the vehicles, that would be a good indication.

Thankfully, there will be time for improvements before Model 3 choices need to be made.

We've purchased four thus far because Tesla MUST succeed is we're to transition to a reduced-GHG planet, or at least make an effort.

And we've bought two for the same reason. It's also the reason we've installed large rooftop solar arrays on two houses.

However, you have failed to convince me that a leather interior in one car that I'm likely to keep for 8 years will have a greater impact than a synthetic interior that I may need to replace multiple times during that period. Also, I have seen no evidence comparing the manufacture of the synthetic interior to the alternative. I agree that scale animal agriculture has a negative environmental impact. That alone doesn't make a comparison.

I'm all for an evidence based approach to decision making - but you've left out an important piece of evidence. That is why it sounds more like a cause. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way.

Interesting. Seriously? Elon is now endorsing the 6 seat? That doesn't make me feel great as a 7 seat whose car is in production. I do need the 7th seat though. Not fun having the CEO say/imply that's an inferior choice. Oh well. There are a plethora of options from which to choose and I like what I chose, even if Elon does not!

Reactions: alseTrick
Interesting. Seriously? Elon is now endorsing the 6 seat? That doesn't make me feel great as a 7 seat whose car is in production. I do need the 7th seat though. Not fun having the CEO say/imply that's an inferior choice. Oh well. There are a plethora of options from which to choose and I like what I chose, even if Elon does not!

Makes me doubt if VIN #1 that is a 7 seat black interior is actually his.

He is entitled to his opinion, I believe he just expressed his preference on what could work best.

Makes me doubt if VIN #1 that is a 7 seat black interior is actually his.
I think he must have more than 1 X.

From Elon on twitter: "Heavy use of the white causes splitting. Adding backing material to strengthen. Will be upgraded at no cost."

View attachment 112987

Great News! White looks best imho. Very futuristic.

- - - Updated - - -

He is entitled to his opinion, I believe he just expressed his preference on what could work best.

Yeah he probably has 1 on the West Coast and 1 East Coast, after all he probably has more than 1 home in the USA.

Indeed! Vin 1 is his because it's the first off the production line and we know he is a fan of collectibles! I think his reference to 6 seater being superior has more to do with visibility if one doesn't need every seat every time.