Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perforated seats durability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate everyone's sympathy.

Has anyone had a tear of this size repaired?

AnOutsider, did they replace your seats because of a tear or to install better backing? Did they do so under warranty?

I am not one to advance an issue as a customer, but EM tweeted to everyone that it is a known issue and that it would be replaced. Seems hard to say that it is not our policy when the CEO tweets "we will fix it".

Your best bet is to go to a good upholstery shop. I don’t think they will replace it for free at this point. They don’t repair seats, replacement only. Plus who is to say that same thing won’t happen with a new seat.

I'm a case, but damage was smaller & deeper:
Jumped into car after helping a contractor on our kitchen project. Small flat screwdriver in back pocket, then sat in my car.
It was a big hole, but nothing like OP, mine was deep only.
Dublin Tesla did a heroic repair, even after I hear the full seat replacement angle and another shop would not touch it.

So the lesson is: Watch what you wear..... when getting in your seats.

Attachments

• IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    728.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    475.5 KB · Views: 135
Appreciate everyone's sympathy.

Has anyone had a tear of this size repaired?

AnOutsider, did they replace your seats because of a tear or to install better backing? Did they do so under warranty?

I am not one to advance an issue as a customer, but EM tweeted to everyone that it is a known issue and that it would be replaced. Seems hard to say that it is not our policy when the CEO tweets "we will fix it".

They replaced them due to small tears in the perforation. They did it completely under warranty.

I'm wondering if they just stopped doing it since it has been a few years and they've moved on to (what I assume are) new materials.

Having issues w white perforated seats on my 2016 Model X... actually brought it to Palm Springs service center's attention when seat started to wrinkle on the drivers seat (not the side, under the butt of the driver), and they said "sorry, normal wear and tear". Two months later the leather actually ripped in that area between three of the perforation holes... took it to service, and they said "sorry, seats only warrantied for 6 months" - i had owned the car two years, first owner new purchase, roughly 30k miles.

I pushed harder and they agreed to have an upholstery guy repair it, and even though that didn't seem like a great plan i didn't want to be difficult so agreed to let them try. In the process of repairing, they damaged the leather and created a round stain, and Tesla is now saying they aren't responsible. Another service said "seats are only warrantied for 1 year" - notice, that's not the same thing the told me originally, and I can't find this anywhere in the warranty language, nor can Tesla produce anything (service center manager David in SF said that the only documentation he has is internal only... really?!?)

Clearly seat material was defective originally when it tore - this is a known issue, as cited by Elon - and Tesla's repair effort made the problem worse. Now the service centers are refusing to return my calls or reply to emails. Starting to run out of patience - should be covered under warranty given the damage, and all work was done by or through Tesla (they apparently hired a 3rd party upholstery guy, but I took the car to Tesla and they handled it all). Feels like their cost saving efforts are possibly causing them to not stand behind product? Not sure what else to make of this.

Anyway still trying to work w them, Steven in Burlingame has been a bit better so far - but moral of the story at this point is don't buy perforated seats, and keep an eye on sales people who aren't disclosing full warranty info, if that bit about seats only being warrantied for 6 months or a year is even true (was certainly never mentioned prior to my purchase, and i heard a sales rep today telling someone car had a 4 year 50k mile warranty w 8 yr battery, w no mention of seats being excluded).

Pretty disappointing so far, and its the first thing i tell friends considering a Tesla now - used to tell them how much I loved the car. Will provide an update with how things go from here, hoping they come around and do the right thing.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to encourage Tesla to perform warranty repair, please let me know. Thanks all - this forum has already been helpful w the link to Elon's tweet re: seats, and some of the other user photos.

319CCF02-12D3-46E3-BCDF-CFEBF03551E0.jpeg 666F9F3B-86A2-463A-9979-1DE71A722209.jpeg

Having issues w white perforated seats on my 2016 Model X... actually brought it to Palm Springs service center's attention when seat started to wrinkle on the drivers seat (not the side, under the butt of the driver), and they said "sorry, normal wear and tear". Two months later the leather actually ripped in that area between three of the perforation holes... took it to service, and they said "sorry, seats only warrantied for 6 months" - i had owned the car two years, first owner new purchase, roughly 30k miles.

I pushed harder and they agreed to have an upholstery guy repair it, and even though that didn't seem like a great plan i didn't want to be difficult so agreed to let them try. In the process of repairing, they damaged the leather and created a round stain, and Tesla is now saying they aren't responsible. Another service said "seats are only warrantied for 1 year" - notice, that's not the same thing the told me originally, and I can't find this anywhere in the warranty language, nor can Tesla produce anything (service center manager David in SF said that the only documentation he has is internal only... really?!?)

Clearly seat material was defective originally when it tore - this is a known issue, as cited by Elon - and Tesla's repair effort made the problem worse. Now the service centers are refusing to return my calls or reply to emails. Starting to run out of patience - should be covered under warranty given the damage, and all work was done by or through Tesla (they apparently hired a 3rd party upholstery guy, but I took the car to Tesla and they handled it all). Feels like their cost saving efforts are possibly causing them to not stand behind product? Not sure what else to make of this.

Anyway still trying to work w them, Steven in Burlingame has been a bit better so far - but moral of the story at this point is don't buy perforated seats, and keep an eye on sales people who aren't disclosing full warranty info, if that bit about seats only being warrantied for 6 months or a year is even true (was certainly never mentioned prior to my purchase, and i heard a sales rep today telling someone car had a 4 year 50k mile warranty w 8 yr battery, w no mention of seats being excluded).

Pretty disappointing so far, and its the first thing i tell friends considering a Tesla now - used to tell them how much I loved the car. Will provide an update with how things go from here, hoping they come around and do the right thing.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to encourage Tesla to perform warranty repair, please let me know. Thanks all - this forum has already been helpful w the link to Elon's tweet re: seats, and some of the other user photos.

View attachment 424071 View attachment 424072

hhhm....attached is the Tesla new vehicle warranty document. Nowhere does it state a limitation with re: to seats.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf