TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Performance 20in Wheel Cap Removal Tool

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JMesh, Jan 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JMesh

JMesh Member

The first of many stupid new owner questions from me!

The manual says that the little hook to remove the wheel caps is in the glove box. I don't see it. Could it be hiding somewhere or do I need my wife to show me that it was right under my nose? :)

2. Mysta

Mysta Former Vendor

Should be in a baggy in trunk or glove box, if not just use a hex key

3. rotus8

rotus8 Member

4. irwinm

irwinm Member

I didn’t get one either (Delivered in December) - it’s supposed to be in the glove box - after fretting about finding something that would work, I just pulled them off with my hands - came off easily - read on here that is what the service folks usually do anyway.

5. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Problem with doing that in very cold weather is the plastic “legs” can crack.

6. JMesh

JMesh Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll use a hex key until I can order something. Mine was also a December delivery. One of 78 delivered on the day I picked mine up. Hoping this is the only thing they forgot!

7. TTM3

TTM3 Member

None here either with Dec delivery ;-(

8. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

I took delivery in 12/19/19 and I didn’t see that tool in my glovebox either. Two of my wheel caps were actually missing at delivery. Tesla is replacing them, of course, but my SA was confused they were not there saying, “they’re pretty hard to get off,” although @irwinm apparently had a different experience. Must have been your Thanos glove or Hulk hands? :)

9. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I got one free from the SC as mine didn't come with one either. You can also use a small 90 degree Allen wrench. This is what your wife is looking for ;) :

6CF9A083-94F8-4273-A476-CE92758EBF47_1_201_a.jpeg

• Helpful x 1
  10. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

11. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

December car...only had a miniature manual booklet in glovebox

12. afadeev

afadeev Member

Same here - when swapping for winter wheels earlier, the plastic caps easily popped off when you start pulling on one of the plastic "wings".

I've had cars that needed a massive pull to remove the lug-protecting caps, but Model 3 is not one of them.
    Caps come off easily. Just apply stead gentle pressure (don't yank), and off they pop.

No tools required.

13. JPP

JPP Active Member

....uuuh, no tool needed. Just pull the 'spyder like' cap off with your bare hands. Easy (....maybe too easy but likely not attractive to thieves).