Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 20in Wheel Cap Removal Tool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first of many stupid new owner questions from me!

The manual says that the little hook to remove the wheel caps is in the glove box. I don't see it. Could it be hiding somewhere or do I need my wife to show me that it was right under my nose? :)

The manual says that the little hook to remove the wheel caps is in the glove box. I don't see it. Could it be hiding somewhere or do I need my wife to show me that it was right under my nose? :)

I didn’t get one either (Delivered in December) - it’s supposed to be in the glove box - after fretting about finding something that would work, I just pulled them off with my hands - came off easily - read on here that is what the service folks usually do anyway.

I didn’t get one either (Delivered in December) - it’s supposed to be in the glove box - after fretting about finding something that would work, I just pulled them off with my hands - came off easily - read on here that is what the service folks usually do anyway.

Problem with doing that in very cold weather is the plastic “legs” can crack.

I took delivery in 12/19/19 and I didn’t see that tool in my glovebox either. Two of my wheel caps were actually missing at delivery. Tesla is replacing them, of course, but my SA was confused they were not there saying, “they’re pretty hard to get off,” although @irwinm apparently had a different experience. Must have been your Thanos glove or Hulk hands? :)

I got one free from the SC as mine didn't come with one either. You can also use a small 90 degree Allen wrench. This is what your wife is looking for ;) :

6CF9A083-94F8-4273-A476-CE92758EBF47_1_201_a.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: follow.johnny
I just pulled them off with my hands - came off easily - read on here that is what the service folks usually do anyway.

Same here - when swapping for winter wheels earlier, the plastic caps easily popped off when you start pulling on one of the plastic "wings".

I've had cars that needed a massive pull to remove the lug-protecting caps, but Model 3 is not one of them.
Caps come off easily. Just apply stead gentle pressure (don't yank), and off they pop.

No tools required.

Uh, I have a model 3 performance with the 20“ wheels. I’m totally confused by your post. What tool is needed? We must have totally different wheels.

I use my finger to pull the center spider thingie off the wheels. My 5 year old grand son loves to do it. How hard can that be? A tool? Seriously? We must have different wheels.