Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 21’ rims or 19’ Geminis..Are the 21’ worth the sleek look?

Performance 21’ vs 19’ Gemini’s for my MOD Y…worth it??

• Worth the upgrade to 21’s??

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Yes!! Go big or go home!

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • No, stay with the 19’

Votes: 26 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 21s with the MYP tires will sharpen your handling substantially but obviously not all the way to an MYP. If you don’t want that, then they’re not for you. I can’t say for sure but I’m reasonably confident that the 21s on a MYLR would be a nice compromise. The looks are entirely subjective. Folks that love the 21s really love 'em.

I found it worth it to swap to 19s on my MYP, partly for ride but also I just really don’t like the look of the black 21s on a white MY.

So…I haven’t answered your question. Really only you can. If you like the look and don’t mind spending the $, I’d say go for it. You can always swap back. Most asking prices for a set of Uberturbines with fresh tires (including mine, if you’re near Houston look me up!) are only a few hundred dollars over the cost of the tires.

I have a 2020 MYLR that was about due for tires @ 35k miles. I had 19" Vossen HF-3's in Satin Black, but I decided to go with 21".

Got Vossen HF-5's in Matte Anthracite, and found a member here who was selling their MYP take-off springs to give it a little drop. Eddie from @GetYourWheels (a member here as well) gave me a nice deal, and the offset he spec'd on the Vossen's was perfect!! Just flush with no spacers needed.

I went wider on the tires than a stock MYP: 275/35 front, 295/35 rear. IMO, looks so much better than the stretched look on a stock MYP.

Had the springs installed and alignment done at parts3xpress in Temple City (Home | parts3xpress). They did a great job. Alignment was completely in spec when they were through.

Yes, looks are subjective. But I LOVE the way my MY looks and drives now. So glad I made the switch to 21"!!

Vossen HF-5
21x9.5 +35 Front
21x10.5 +40 Rear

Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4
275/35 ZR21 Front
295/35 ZR21 Rear

MYLR w_21.jpg

Reactions: Jpandes
IMO black wheels look heavy and dirty on most color Teslas, with the exception of black. Never rode on 21" so I can't judge, but the consensus is they produces a harsh, bumpier, ride. Personally like the look of Gemini hubcaps on my white/white MYLR whereas I think naked Gemini wheels look like a fish skeleton.

IMO black wheels look heavy and dirty on most color Teslas, with the exception of black. Never rode on 21" so I can't judge, but the consensus is they produces a harsh, bumpier, ride. Personally like the look of Gemini hubcaps on my white/white MYLR whereas I think naked Gemini wheels look like a fish skeleton.
21" Ubers are more like dark/blue grey. It is way better than flat black color on 20" Inductions. Red Multi Coat with 21" Ubers are the best combo!
tesla-model-y-charging-at-a-tesla-supercharging-station.jpg

Reactions: Cyberspeed and TSLY
I'm still collecting data after swapping out my 21" UTs for some TSportLine 18's with 245/50 tires. Initial findings are the car rides and feel's better, it's faster and my efficiency is improving as the new tires break in. I was hoping for a 10% reduction in my wh/mi and I'm seeing much more.

I had 2500 miles on the OEM 21s (which included a 1900-mile road trip) before I made the change and only have 500+ miles on the 18s hence why I want to collect more data before posting my results. But aside from looks, I see no benefit in running the staggered 21s on a DD in a four-season environment on shitty roads.

Obligatory glamor shot:
howQI9U.jpg

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I keep changing my order going back and forth between wheels and colors.

I’m scared to do the 21” because I read the 19s are better in snow and make it more comfortable driving.

I’d get the 21” if I knew for sure they wouldn’t slide in the snow as I think they look better being bigger. I’m not someone who switches tires in the winter so whatever I pick is what’s staying on the car!

There are some nice hubcap options for the 19” wheels if you do pick those!

I'm still collecting data after swapping out my 21" UTs for some TSportLine 18's with 245/50 tires. Initial findings are the car rides and feel's better, it's faster and my efficiency is improving as the new tires break in. I was hoping for a 10% reduction in my wh/mi and I'm seeing much more.

I had 2500 miles on the OEM 21s (which included a 1900-mile road trip) before I made the change and only have 500+ miles on the 18s hence why I want to collect more data before posting my results. But aside from looks, I see no benefit in running the staggered 21s on a DD in a four-season environment on shitty roads.

Obligatory glamor shot:
howQI9U.jpg
This is nice… I was thinking about going to 19 Tsportline from my uberturbine but now that I seen this sheesh I’m going 18

Some more info as I roll up more miles on the 18s. FTR when I swapped the tires/wheels my lifetime was at 294 Wh/mi. It’s now slowly dropping. Initially the new tires/wheels were running close to the 21s but at 300+ miles they must have broke in and suddenly the wh/mi started dropping like a rock, so at 500 miles I reset the renamed Trip A meter to get a more accurate reading.
GL3LAEb.jpg