Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 21 Nail in Tire only 100 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed one of the tires had low pressure reading.

Only to look and find a nail right in the middle of the tire. I only have 100 miles on the car, 1 week old.

Does pirelli have road hazard warranty? Should I have Tesla service take care of it (do they) or a local place (I don’t wants rim scratched up)

And when I search for the tire Pirelli P-Zero 275/35R21 103W only tires that are 103Y show up.
I am not too happy..... I am assuming I have to get a brand new tire and these tires can not be plugged.
Thanks for guidance.

So I noticed one of the tires had low pressure reading.

Only to look and find a nail right in the middle of the tire. I only have 100 miles on the car, 1 week old.

Does pirelli have road hazard warranty? Should I have Tesla service take care of it (do they) or a local place (I don’t wants rim scratched up)

And when I search for the tire Pirelli P-Zero 275/35R21 103W only tires that are 103Y show up.
I am not too happy..... I am assuming I have to get a brand new tire and these tires can not be plugged.
Thanks for guidance.
Since the nail in the middle of the tread, it's a simple problem. Approx. $25 to get it patched at any of your local tire shop.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
My experience with our S and X is any tire issue take to a tire shop. Even when purchasing new tires Tesla does not offer/accept road hazard warranties for any typical tire damage. Did first couple of sets on both at Tesla till we had a problem and they wouldn’t honor the road hazard on the new tires, said we could take it up with the manufacturer.

Since the nail in the middle of the tread, it's a simple problem. Approx. $25 to get it patched at any of your local tire shop.

Or free if you have a Discount Tire near you. We have them here in Chicagoland and they'll fix your tire for free...take it off, unmount it, patch it up and reinstall it. They do it to promote their brand and service with the chance that when you need new tires you'll remember them.

Thank you, I don’t think I have any around my location in the northeast, but I will take it to a local tire shop and see if they can plug or patch it. Hopefully they can.
Any special precautions on the rims? (especially the 21s), tesla versus other car manufacturers? I bought the lift pucks as well

You're lucky my rear driver side wheel just had to be replaced. Got a bolt of some sort stuck in it and it was too large to successfully plug.

Had to replace it with a pilot cup 4s as that's all that was available. Had to go through tire rack the local shop couldn't get the OEM and their replacement was gonna take a week or so.

Thank you, I don’t think I have any around my location in the northeast, but I will take it to a local tire shop and see if they can plug or patch it. Hopefully they can.
Any special precautions on the rims? (especially the 21s), tesla versus other car manufacturers? I bought the lift pucks as well

Discount Tire operates under several brands, I think "America's Tire" is another popular one.

E16565CC-82A0-4240-9191-54BC6EF6797C.jpeg
I got a nail in my tire too. Saw it this morning, ugh. Do you all think this is too close to the side wall to patch?

So mine was right in the middle of the thread.

I was told that if the tire holds air and you don’t drive on it flat, you can patch it.

used a local tire shop, they were great, watch the whole thing and it was done perfect.

this is the bold that was in there, any chance it’s a Tesla bolt?

Attachments

• 1ECA6CC2-A22E-4645-AF83-053CEE28AD47.jpeg
    1ECA6CC2-A22E-4645-AF83-053CEE28AD47.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 62
  • D598AC68-AEFB-4DE1-B303-6910E9ED4FBD.jpeg
    D598AC68-AEFB-4DE1-B303-6910E9ED4FBD.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 65
My experience with our S and X is any tire issue take to a tire shop. Even when purchasing new tires Tesla does not offer/accept road hazard warranties for any typical tire damage. Did first couple of sets on both at Tesla till we had a problem and they wouldn’t honor the road hazard on the new tires, said we could take it up with the manufacturer.
FWIW, no manufacturer covers road hazards AFAIK. Long ago I bought a new Jaguar XK8, drinking from the dealership to the first stoplight I ran over a nail which destroyed the tire, No plug because it was in the sidewall. I had to pay $225 for a replacement tire, easy to do because I was within less than a minute from the dealership. Adding to my irritation, the dealership was building now construction, so the nail came from their own site. I have had road hazards on a number of tires. That has made me choose higher profile when possible. Luckily that is doable for Tesla. Porsche and Ferrari a bit harder.

I never would use an auto dealer for a replacement tire. They cost more and tend not to be as proficient as are larger tire shops.

Next morning, and 15 miles after taking delivery of MY AWD LR I found flat rear right tire (19"). Contacted roadside assistance and was quoted $280 for mobile service to come and replace it, or $70 if fixable. Told them it is ridiculous, as very low chance of me catching a nail in only 15 miles.
They suggested technician to come and look anyway. Guy showed up, very nice one, said the nail is too close to the edge and tire has to be replaced. He contacted the center and he was allowed to replace the tire as a good will act.
When he removed the tire, we found the nail head was inside the tire. I don't say they put it at the factory, but it it's hard to think anything else. Have the picture of the nail too:)

Just took my car to America's Tire and they were able to patch my tire - for FREE. Awesome service as always. As you can see from the picture above, it's pretty close to the side wall. If I called Tesla out, I'm convinced the tire would've been a total loss and replacement was required. If you get a flat, take it to America's Tire first to see if it can be patched.

I got a new 2020 S LR+ in late June and picked it up in Colorado after an 8-hr drive from New Mexico in my old S which I traded in.

Eight hour drive hone, the same day, in the new S. Parked car in garage.

Next morning, rear left tire flat. 4” nail. Tire ruined. Had to special-order new tire, wait a day for it to be shipped, then had to have car towed to tire shop. Several hundred dollars. Totally sucked.

I dont know if this will help at all but I had Continentals on my X5 and a nail too close to sidewall to patch. Continental has a built in road hazard warranty for 1st year. They replaced the tire for free. There's a chance some other tire manufacturers have this as well.